Backfiring and cutting out | FerrariChat

Backfiring and cutting out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike Dewar, Apr 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Dewar

Mike Dewar Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    I have just purchased a 1982 Ferrari 308 GTSI. The car had not been running for three years and I had to remove the engine to gain access to the fuel tanks which had to be removed due to blockages.Whilst engine was out I changed the cambelts,plug, oil filter ,airfilter ,engine oil,gearbox oil. The fuel pump was also clogged but I managed to clean it and get it working .My car started up properly and ran fine for a few days.Whilst driving the other day the car seems to jerk a bit under low revs and then went completely dead. I took a while for it to start but eventually did. It ran ok for a while then started the same problem with backfire and spluttering. I still suspect fuel starvation as perhaps the pump is not working properly.Please advise your thoughts.

2. DanS*

DanS* Karting

May 29, 2012
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I would more suspect fuel filter of being clogged.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My 1982 had a backfire and limited rev - turned out to be a cracked dist rotor - just saying it could be the unspected that causes the problem.

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I'd take the fuel filter out and drain it again. Check for fuel and spark etc. Changing the fuel pump relay would be a cheap throw parts at the problem possible solution. Check the extenders, open up the distributors and look for corroded or cracked caps and rotors. Make sure the spring is working on the carbon button. Take a emory board to the brass tips inside distributor.

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I love it. You did all this yourself, yet this is your first post on F-Chat. Well done. Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly, sounds to me like you will!