The Official CDN Importing A Car Thread! www.riv.ca | Page 36 | FerrariChat

The Official CDN Importing A Car Thread! www.riv.ca

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tritone, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick Puopolo

Nick Puopolo Canada

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for posting this information.
    Last August I imported a GT 40 and had to find all this information on my own.
    The people at the RIV were every helpful , I call them and they walked me through the steps.
    They also advised me if the GT 40 was modified in any way , it would not qualify to be imported into Canada , good to know when you’re about to spend a lot of money

Regards,

2. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I do not know much about Ford's but just to be clear is this an original GT 40 or the late model one produced for a few years and is known as the Ford GT?

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Ford GT of recent production

Original GT40's fall under the classic 15 year plus rules and are exempt from RIV

4. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    OK so which one did Nick buy?

5. Iceman.1

Iceman.1 Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    Molson B I got it. I misread "Canadian border" as "Canadian broker"

Thanks for taking us all through this.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Nick bought a Ford GT of recent production NOT a classic GT40

7. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thank you for the clarification. According to his post he bought the GT40.

8. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Was it a much better value buying it from the states over Canada, or was the selection offered in the states that made you import one....IMO Ford did a great job with the GT instant modern classic.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I was at the Meadowbrook concourse d'elegance in Michigan in 03 and 04. And in one of those years they introduced 3 to 4 prototypes of the Ford GT. it was insane at the time and still is. I knew then it'd be a hit. I got pics somewhere and on fchat. There was also a real gt40 and some other fine metal :).

10. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey Molson B. So was there any savings? By my count you spent at least 20K above and beyond the purchase price

FWIW: currently 12 '06 F430 Spyder on Autotrader price ranging from 150-170K CAN
    DuPont has 27 spyders prices from 130-170K US

Denis

11. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You'll pay "6.1% duty + shipping" if you buy in US. You'll have to pay tax (Ontario HST 13%), doesn't matter where you buy it from.

So yes, you get more selection and hopefully more non-winter driven cars buying from the US. I only found 1 car in Canada with a rear cf grill that was an 06-07. 08+ were out of my price range because of the cf brakes.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    MolsonB, be happy with the 13% taxes here in Québec we pay 14.975%. I imported my Mondial last year and they didn't charge the 6.1% tax for import cars and same when I imported my Pantera. I think on 15 years old car they don't charge it.

Good to hear it was easy for you to import. Will you be at Italian car day?

13. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can't make the Italian car day in July, but I want to go to the ICD Rally on June 2nd.
    Just waiting for more details on to sign up, etc.

14. anthony47

anthony47 Karting

May 15, 2005
    Hi,was that a brand new M5,or used?Thanks

15. creedolce

creedolce Rookie

May 15, 2013
    Full Name:
    christian
    HI i have a 2008 maserati gran turismo that i am fixing up and i am having trouble registering the car with RIV because it is a euro spec car. I have changed the bumpers already and the speedometer is already in km, it has day time running lights also. The only way i can register it, is if Maserati gives me a letter (cmvssa) that says the vehicle meets canadian specs. Ferrari can do this for me but its costs over $3500.00. Does anyone know how else i can do this or if there is a cheaper way to do this. Thanks for anyones help in advance.

16. creedolce

creedolce Rookie

May 15, 2013
    Full Name:
    christian
    HI I have a 2008 maserati gran turismo. I am fixing it up and i am having some trouble registering the car with RIV. They are telling me i need a letter (cmvssa) from Ferrari stating that the car meets canadian standards. The letter costs $3500.00 and has to be done by Ferrari. I have already changed the bumbers, is already in km, has daytime running lights and air bags are changed too. Is there anyone who knows of a different way to register this car without having to pay all this money for a letter?

17. Benjamin m

Benjamin m Rookie

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi James could you please contact me I am looking to purchase a specific Ferrari and would be interested in learning more about your services

18. stuart duncan

stuart duncan Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    stuart kenneth duncan
    would i get hassled imported a 77 308 gtb to canada ... i've imported lots of cars over the years but imported a 355 in 2001 to canada and was given huge grief

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Importing anything over 15 years old is super easy.

20. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    It is easy peasy

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    how do I RE-import a car that is 45 years old from Canada back to the US that was once in the US?

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mike,

This may be a better question for the US members... as they would be more familiar with US requirements/regulations than us Canadians.

Cheers,

Sam

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Sam. I’ll try there too. I’ve spoken to CA customs And Detroit Customs. And I’m not clear on what I need. I was told by Detroit customs that I needed I’ll of sale and title. The guy on the phone had no clue. Btw I’m sure there are plenty wanting new fuse boxes. Hint hint. Mike

25. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Call a few of them. You will probably get a few answers. The main thing is Bill of Sale. If the car has a DOT sticker/plaque on it, then that will show compliance to the US. If you have the original bill of sale, that would make it even easier. Honestly in some states all you will probably need is a Bill of Sale if the vehicle was an original US vehicle. Other states may require a vehicle inspection to get a new title. See link below.

https://www.flexport.com/help/191-importing-vehicles-cars-automobiles-united-states

absostone likes this.