Any Queen Mothers out there? | FerrariChat

Any Queen Mothers out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ByeEnzo, Jan 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    I am the caretaker of 330 GTC #10767. The car is a joy to own and drive. I'm seriously contemplating selling my 360 Challenge Stradale so that I can get a 2nd vintage Ferrari. Trade a depreciating assest for something fun with an up side. The CS is a real hot rod but the noise and vibration is starting to wear on me. I'm ready for something more gentlemanly and sedate. I've read Tom Yang's reviews and buyer's guide on the 365 GT 2+2 and think it might fit the bill. The other car that interests me is a 330 GT 2+2. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

2. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    Interesting! I have been considering a 250 GTE, 330 America (hard to find), 330 GT 2 + 2, or a 365 GT 2 + 2 for a little while now. Tom Yang is very knowledgeable on the 250 GTE and 330 America cars as well. There is something special about the Enzo era cars. Plus, I love the four seaters (I have 5 kids). There are a couple of 330 GT 2 + 2's and 365 2 + 2's available in the market place right now. The 365 GT 2+2 is growing on me, but at first sight, it appears to be too long in the rear/trunk area, as if it had been extended or stretched. Although, I don't find the 4-headlight 330, ugly, or unattractive, I would always buy the later cars for a little more money. BTW, the 330 GTC is a great car....congrats.

3. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    I know I am prejudiced as an owner, but the 365 GT 2+2 fits all the bills. It has the practical usability of a real 2+2, enough trunk space for long trips, comfort, power, performance that is quite satisfying, AND the classic look of Ferraris from the mid-1950s through the end of the 1960s. Karl Ludvigsen in Sports Car Graphic in a contemporary 1968 road test called it "The Magnificent GT", a label that I believe is still valid. You get PS, PB, PW, 4 discs, IRS, A/C, flow through ventilation, reclining seats, dual heaters, wood and leather interior, and often a quite-decent Blaupunkt or similar radio. Most have the beautiful Borranis.

Pininfarina was a genius with body design and airflow. The 365 GT 2+2 is completely stable at 130 mph with no wings or spoilers. You can open one or both side windows at 90 mph without buffeting. Mine is one of three known to have a sunroof and it is usable up to at least 80 mph in comfort. It has the looks of the 500 Superfast, stretched to include the 2+2 seating.

You get an almost-modern car with the classic Ferrari design, usable in almost all driving situations, at lower cost than any other V-12 Ferrari, and it does not need any of the unobtainable computer wizardry or equipment to keep it running properly.

If you are serious about ownership, PM me for some discussions. I have enjoyed 13,000 miles in mine and would give you the straight story.

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451, Giallo Fly with black leather

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jim pretty much summed it up. I've owned mine for almost 19 years now, and I still love it.

I've used mine as a daily driver in the past, and done long trips. I did almost 700 miles in it one day! It's a great car. In it's day, it was the finest GT car in the world, no excuses.

5. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    Obviously, your car has been significantly modified, but I would love to see more pics. Also, who did the modification? Are there others like it? It really is a beautiful car as a cabrio!

6. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Thanks for your insights. Pretty much in line with what I have read so far on Queen Mothers. Once I sell my Stradale, the hunt will begin in earnest. Best, AC

7. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Well not because I am defending anything here and I know it's just your opinion, but that 'rides like a truck' comment is absurd. That is the kind of trope that gets out there in this linked world and so I feel the need to say if your interested in any Ferrari do your best to drive one and not listen to internet blather about how they drive. Each car within a model range can drive totally different from one another depending on how it's maintained. I think the queen mother is a boat, a comfortable boat nonetheless, and the 330GT is more like a well executed Italian Mustang but that opinion is worth the paper it's printed on.

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep,I'm sick of folk bagging other type of the marque as well.The fact is the 365 is a continuation of the 330 and previous cars,it will naturally have acquired the more modern technology,ie power steer(which can change the feeling,handling and therefore general nature)of any car,IRS and all the other 'new' technology of the time.
    I also have another 'unloved'Ferrari;the 365GT4 2+2,I love driving it as much as the 330(S1..the unloved and usually cut up one..for replicas).
    In Aussie there is a bloke who is looking for an Enzo period car and he has put his hand up for NOT liking the 'long' look of the 365GT2+2.He is actively looking for a 330 or 330 GTC.

Hope to see some more confronting opinions,as there usually are!!

9. jrf365

jrf365 Rookie

Nov 27, 2010
    looks like a nice one at Fantasy Junction right now. Anyone know this car?

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Bravo! What a sweetheart!

It's modeled after one of the last "coachbuilt" Ferraris, the 365 California, a continuation of the 500 Superfast and sold new only to VIP's and "close friends of the factory." Quite valuable now, they're a stunner in person. Todd Morici had a black one for a long time that I thought was just gorgeous.

I applaud the OP for "trading back" from the CS, he won't regret it.

12. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    I have given some thought to selling my Queen, a numbers matching example.

It had a lot of "issues" when I bought it, but most have been taken care of in the last 8 years. I've had 13,000+ miles of enjoyment, but might consider trying a different classic. There are a lot of interesting cars to own and I have room for only one in the garage.

PM me if you are interested.

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

13. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    #15 ByeEnzo, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Folks at Black Horse Garage in Bridgeport, CT, are a wonderful and highly capable bunch of real enthusiasts and talented craftsmen. It's worth a trip just to see their shop and what they're capable of. I believe they maintained/prepared a 330GTC that won a big award recently.

15. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #17 330 4HL, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    I, like Simon, own a S1 330 2+2 and love it to bits (er, in bits at the moment...) and wouldn't swap it for the 365 as I find the 365 a bit ponderous in comparison and I'm just not interested in all the "extras"; however...

As you already have the 330 GTC, is there really enough driving difference between it and the 330 to justify having both? Under the circumstances, the 365 might offer you a bit more variety.

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I might be looking for one also. Do any of you have the total length. I know it is long curious if it will fit in my garage before i start my search in earnest.

18. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    Are they really at $165k or is Black Horse just a bit on the high side?

19. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    From the CS experts