Viper accident in Hartland, MI | FerrariChat

Viper accident in Hartland, MI

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by nthfinity, Apr 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  2. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I was under the impression the new Viper had not been released yet for sale. Was this a magazine tester?

3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    From the article I read, the cause of death seemed to be from a pre-existing medical issue (heat attack, stroke, etc), not the crash itself. Either way, RIP.

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    He was a Chrysler engineer.

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    If there was a pre-existing medical cause, that's certainly a different spin, but the first thing I thought of was the cold tires.

I looked around and it doesn't seem like the production tire for the Viper is that aggressive, and I actually saw a reference that the compound for 2013 features better low temperature performance, but...

it's important to keep in mind at this time of year that the highest-performing "summer only" tires really are suitable for summer use only. I know that manufacturers put notices in their owners manuals about this, but many people don't get a chance to really test those assertions out. Some of these tires really do get rock hard and nearly impossible to drive in the cold. We had a guy park a car up north this winter because he underestimated the loss of grip in a summer tire during cold weather. Yesterday it was about 40 degrees and cloudy when this accident occurred. You CAN get into conditions in which the stability control system can't save you. As we say "you can't beat the physics". When the tire doesn't have much grip, you can get enough energy in the car that ESC doesn't have the control authority to correct. I've wondered if this same type of cause could have been a part of the 458 crash that was filmed and came around recently.

It's really important to be extra cautious as we get cars out on the road in still chilly weather with ultra-high performance tires.

6. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Wow, that is terrible! I am wondering if this is a guy who lived several blocks down from me. I've seen a few SRT Viper test cars at his house.

Chris

7. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Unlikely, unless he recently moved to Howell.

Well stated, Don.

8. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There's been a ton of Viper's out in the detroit area over the last couple months with manufacture plates on. I see at least 2-3 a week, but its too bad to see this. RIP.

9. gjv

gjv Karting

Feb 20, 2012
    Georgia
    His name was Martin (Marty) Morse, a colleague at Chrysler. I met him several times, but did not know him very well. Very sad story. It is odd to see his office empty now.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sad, it made me think of François Cevert from looking at how he may have died.

11. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That is terrible. Perhaps cable barriers aren't the best idea as a safety measure...

12. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    +1

Killed by safety equipment! How sad. Gruesome too. Poor guy.

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I don't think you can blame it on the cable barrier. He didn't go onto oncoming traffic and kill a family of five did he? You don't blame trees for killing drivers, or blame ditches for killing folks during rollovers.

Did he have a medical issue or something?

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Even more than that......Not doing high speed runs on a public highway, knowing the consequences of cold pavement/cold high performance tires and keeping your car between the white lines is the best safety measure.

This is a very sad accident. I'm the same age and can't imagine. I feel for his family.

JIM