Do I buy or not? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do I buy or not?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wrazor1, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    By the way, this '95 F355 referenced in another thread on this board sounds terrific...

>>1995 F355 Berlinetta, Fly yellow, black. 19,100 miles. This car had the heads updated to 1999 specs to remove any question regarding valves guides, I had all new valves installed. Tubi headers were installed, (the factory headers have too many issues), Tubi test pipes, Tubi muffler. Stock exhaust system, including cats is included, stock rims, new centers, new rear tires, fronts 90%. New BBS rims, new Michelin Pilots, Keith Collins mats,30k service completed. No damage history. $75,000.00 This car is perfect.<<

Gary

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Back to the original question...

You really need to get out and drive these cars.
    They are both quite different from the Vette.
    I'm not trying to poo poo the 348, but the 355 is a much much better car than the 348, and I feel would come closer to your expectations.

But then again, judging by the way I feel about my cars,
    "maybe I just don't GET IT"

Because I consider the car that some of you worship,
    Just Basic transportation!

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Actually, Enzo (even later in life) did not give a flip about the road cars. It was chinetti (sp) who convinced enzo that selling high dollar versions of his race cars to affluent buyers would support his racing efforts.

4. SteveF

SteveF Karting

Dec 30, 2001
    I owned a Z06 and if outright performance is your bottom line then you probably won't be happy moving to a 348 or 355. On the sound, I love both the throaty, he-man, muscle car sound and the high pitched scream of the F. On the intangibles, I think the 355 wins out. They're both fun cars and there's nothing wrong with one of each if you can swing it.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never had a vette, they just don't appeal to me though I'm sure for the value minded performance junkie, they may well be the best sports cars available.

I do have an M3 and people are alwyas surprised when I tell them it will blow the doors off my 328...acceleration, handling, brakes, all of it.

But driving fun is more than just performance numbers. When it's time to go for a ride on the twisties, I reach for the 328 keys. I wouldn't expect most people would really understand or even like the experience (not to mention cost) but for those of us addicted, there is no substitute.

Dave

6. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >I think when one gets right down to the nitty gritty, all the car magazines and true sports car buffs will admit that the Corvette is the most refined performance automobile that your money can buy.

Possibly dependent on the state one resides in.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Wrazor if you want more performance then I think the 355 is a little better than the stock C5, especially the brakes. If you have a Z06 then dont bother swapping cus the 355 wont be as fast unless you get a 1995 Challenge 355 race car that you can drive on the street as well

8. mac59

mac59 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I currently own a C5 and a 355 spider, The vette is a lot of car for the money, but when I drive the Ferrari it becomes a circus around me.

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    wrazor, the c5 is a great car. Since you have modded yours I doubt that switching to a 348 will do it for you. A 355 might, but as William H said it is worth it to take a good long look at a 512TR. The 512 is much more of a beast than the 348/355. Also, you said that a silver 575 would be a dream car. Well, 550 prices are not that far above what you mentioned.

Most importantly, DRIVE several different cars of each model. You really can't get a feel for the different models until you have driven one. On paper the old 308GTB carb car looks pretty boring. In reality, it is one of my favorite Ferraris. It's an absolute blast to drive. The same is true for the 512TR/550. You have to drive one to understand.

Good luck in your search and welcome to FChat!

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I have done driving school in a Z06. It is fast and has lots of power and handles like crap! You rarely feel in control. It is heavy and unrefined.

Ther eis a distinct difference between the two. Yes, mailin in price, one costs 3 times as much new than the other. What you get is what you pay for.

If you are a paper statistic kind of guy like Arlie you will look at a Z06 if you drive them both you will know why the Ferrari costs 3 times as much and will have no problem writting that check.

what should you do?
    study what you want. Testdrive both 348 and 355. Get comfortable which one you want and want to afford and then start looking.
    If you are in the SE region and want a testdrive in Miami I am open doors for you.

www.4Ferrari.com

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    now if you want to talk true performance for little money:

Subaru XWRYSHT (whatever it is called), the Rally box. That thing is fast as friggn hell. The Mitsu probably just as much.
    All of that at half the price of a Vette.