2nd home - southern cal | FerrariChat

2nd home - southern cal

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PSTexas, Apr 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just starting to think of having a second home in Cali. Love it there.
    So can those of you there please let me know what areas I should consider? I think I am looking to buy my retirement home early. Will probably try to rent it out as a vaca rental as well as use it several times a year.

I would like it to be a 30 or so minute drive from an airport. Looking for great beaches, weather, mountain biking, golf etc.

What areas are ideal for vaca rentals? Prices are still a bit depressed I am guessing.
    If there are any realtors here, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks in advance,

2. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    retire TO california?! ha! most people try to egress this place for retirement!

3. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Spend time there :)

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    CA is not a pension / retirement friendly state. With that said, what are you looking for in the way of amenities?

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Would need a better sense of the range of property value and specs to refine the search; however, SoCal near the coast within 30 mins of an airport (assuming it is an airport with reasonable regional connections) leaves you with:

1. San Diego coastal, from downtown condos ($$) to La Jolla (condos and SFR there; La Jolla $$$-$$$$)
    2. San Diego north, but not further than Carlsbad/Encinitas (primarily SFR, $$-$$$$). Encintas has some very nice SFR at less cost than Carlsbad in essentially the same area
    3. Newport/Irvine/Laguna, everything from duplex to apt to SFR, very pricey in all categories ($$$$+)
    4. Long Beach in Belmont Shores, more urban and bohemian ($$$)
    5. LA/Santa Monica- Marina Del Rey, high rise condo, Santa Monica condo and SFR ($$$$)
    6. Ventura/ Santa Barbara, smaller regional airport only, condo, beachfront and SFR, Ventura $$-$$$, SB $$$$

As said, visit the areas, spend a little vac time, think about the type of rental, and then suitability as a primary residence after that (noise, congestion, amenities). Rental income usually much higher closer to the water; cost of housing also much higher. You could look in a San Diego suburb, Irvine/Laguna Hills or similar for inland but close enough to the coast. +1 re cost of living; can't beat the weather though. With money no object. I'd buy a SFR in Pelican Hill in the Newport Coast, but that's just me.

Regards, Bob H

6. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Really depends on what environment an amenities you're looking for. I'm not retired, but certainly see where I live in Santa Barbara as pretty ideal. Less traffic and suburbanization than farther south, tucked between mountains and ocean, small airport with connections to LA, SF, and others.

7. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    it simply depends on how much you want to spend...30mins to LAX or OC airport and you pretty much have anything you want housewise...Just realize you will get no land compared to TX... The market is currently booming...just represented two of my friends in buying properties in the past 4 weeks...everything we looked at got multiple offers...

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    +1

We love Santa Barbara, but when we retire, our plans are to go up to San Luis Obispo.

9. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I'd concur re San Luis Obispo. Always been one of my favorite areas, along with Pacific Grove. If large airport access isn't a big issue, SLO is pretty much ideal for a lot of reasons.

Bob H

10. Daytona

Daytona Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    The Valley
    Full Name:
    Mikee
    We have a weekend (retirement) ocean view condo in San Clemente. Mid-point between LA and SD, close to Laguna and Newport. Great restaurants, really casual beach community, very safe and very friendly. Uniform of the day (every day) Cargo Shorts, Tommy Bahama Shirt and Flip-Flops! Most reasonable RE prices for any coastal community that we could find.

If you are here on a weekend PM us for a tour....

Only downside it is in California. Read one of the posts above and realize this is the most mis-managed state you will find. However when you are walking on the beach you can put everything (even taxes and regulation) out of your mind.

11. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You may find the "Playa Vista" development near Marina Del Rey of interest, many options such as: Apts., condo,s townhomes...

12. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    yes, and there's a small regional airport right at Lincoln & Sepulveda he can get to pretty easily, too lol.

Bob H

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Seal Beach/Huntington/Sunset? You get LA and Orange counties in one shot and halfway between both airports with Long Beach as a smaller regional right up the road too. 20 minutes to Santa Monica, 20 minutes to Newport.

Rancho Palos Verdes is nice but is not great to rent out.

Topanga and south Malibu have some space and are very nice. You'll have access to hiking and biking. Neighborhood can be a bit eclectic.

Off the coast I like Hancock Park and Chevoit Hills. they are close enough to just about everything, you can find a nice little spot or a big home. Same could be said for some of the canyons like Beverly Glen, Coldwater.

14. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    take a look at San Diego county, Del Mar, La Jolla or Coronado are my top picks. all are within 30 minutes of the airport, all are on the water and are expensive. I live in Coronado
    and love it. The thing to do is spend some time and check out the various cities.

15. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Depressed? those days are gone for coastal properties. Short sales and REOs are almost not around and when they come around, the bidding war is on. I speak from experience. PM me for more info from San Diego to Santa Barbara, I am happy to provide you info.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    south, coastal orange county(newport, laguna), is ideall situated.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you must live here do so West of the 405 freeway.

For a taste of liberal California maybe you should spend some time in Austin. I hear that they are keeping Austin weird but it is starting to become "keep Austin weird like San Francisco." YUK!

I just spent a week in your state. I'm about 10 years from retirement. You wanna trade houses?

18. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Marina Del Rey south to Redondo Beach keeps you near airport and within an hour or two of the greatest roads in the world. From Angeles Crest Highway to Mulholland Drive and Canyons or Ortega Highway, or ski Big Bear in the morning, surf El Porto in the afternoon, it's a great location.

19. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    Keep your home in TX for a tax base and get a place in Carlsbad-Escondido, N. County San Diego. carlsbad's Palomar airport is a great place to start from, free parking, easy access to major hubs and the area has a wonderful quality of life.

From the Ocean going East there is wine country of Temecula then high desert. Almost nearly everything you'd imagine for fun and great weather.

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #21 kevfla, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Fell in love with the place while road-tripping thru the state in 1976. Made it a point to drive around there, though not that big size-wise, whenever in town for Pebble.
    Rosso328, a guy that posts a lot in the Florida section, lived in P.G. for several years. Living in a college town really helps the cultural-quotient.

21. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    My wife just got back from Austin, TX yesterday. She was out there for a few days. She loved it...said it reminded her of San Luis Obispo a lot. So, if you are familiar with Austin, then SLO is quite similar.

22. ITR TCHR

ITR TCHR Karting

Aug 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    I know this is kind of late, but I suggest looking at Laguna Beach. There are always a lot of people looking to rent places for vacations. I know of Orange County families who even go to Laguna Beach to rent vacation houses just to "get away".

Laguna Beach is also very close to Aliso Wood Canyon Park, which is 3600 acres with a fair amount of mountain biking ranging from fire roads to technical single track.

John Wayne Airport is also very close.

Let me know if you come out to visit. I can show you some of the trails.

23. Daytona

Daytona Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    The Valley
    Full Name:
    Mikee
    Austin TX? SLO vs Austin? Not at all the same. Can anyone say HUMIDITY. You have to change cloths four times a day in Austin.