no lift kit - Deal breaker? | FerrariChat

no lift kit - Deal breaker?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossi46, Apr 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossi46

Rossi46 Karting

Apr 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys,

A few 458s have come up for sale but they dont have the lift kit option. I know this has been discussed but i havent been able to find the answer.

Is no lift kit a deal breaker?

Can it be retrofitted or can an aftermarket lift kit be installed?
    Does having the lift kit option add much weight to the 458 or effect the handling/ride quality due to the extra parts playing on the suspension?

And lastly how does the lift kit work? Is it manually engaged or does it automatically lift the front up under a certain speed?

Cheers

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Lift is activated manually, lifts front end about 1.5inches, can be deactivated manually or does so automatically at about 25mph forward speed

Adds about 30kg, though weight is spread around the car (hydraulics).

Would not expect it can be retrofitted at reasonable cost/hassle level, components are pretty complex

You need to decide if you need it; seems few people order it or need it, unless you live/drive where there are a lot of steep approach angles. We have it as we need it for that, though if we didn't have it I could probably improvise. It's quite an expensive option as well

3. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    I had it on my car and never used it.

Cigarzman likes this.
  4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I live in a hilly area, and use it regularly (particularly with driveways). The utility really depends on where you are going to drive the car.

5. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I have it on my 458 and I really like it. Both my Lamborginis have it. Always thought it would be nice if my F430 had it. Not a deal breaker, but very nice option.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Your profile does not show what Fcars you have/had. I had an F355 which had a big front overhang and not much clearance. The 360 was much better at 4.8". The 458 is even better with 6.5" of clearance. I have had no problems on clearance with the 458.

Some have reported repair problems with the lifts. I would not get unless you really have to have it.

docf and TheDiffuser like this.
  7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Rossi46, what part of the country (or world) do you live in?
    (btw, it is always a good idea to put the city, state, or counrty in your fchat profile).
    If you live in Tibet or San Francisco, I can understand the "must have" need for the lift kit.

I don't have the lift feature on my 458 and, because I don't have the need for it where I live, I wouldn't want the extra weight and later potential maintenance/repair issues with it as the car got older.

8. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Deal breaker the lifter?..what, no way. I had it on a 458 never used it once in a year of ownership, have spent loads on options spec'ing my spider, but never even considered the lifter. Unless you have a strange steep up & down driveway or something its a pretty pointless option in my book, as I say I have now had best part of 2 yrs in a 458 and never once needed the lifter.

9. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I use mine all the time, often probably unnecessarily but it gives great peace of mind.

10. mjeagent

mjeagent Karting

Aug 17, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Necessity for me as my driveway has a high angle of entry. Other than that it is quite useful navigating speed bumps and exiting parking lots that have a steep drop off. It's something you may never use but it's something you may only use one time that results in preventing damage to your precious 458.

11. motzatoge

motzatoge Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    New Orleans
    Spend the money and get them both! Believe me its a nice feature the lifter. The first time you damage you bumper and don't have it you will wish you had!!!

Not to mention its a deal breaker for most if you don't have it for resale.

12. dwb360

dwb360 Karting

Aug 22, 2010
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave Barr
    I have steep driveway and don't need it - clearance on my 458 coupe much better than my 360

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Really depends on your driveway. For running on the streets, it's unnecessary. But, if you have an unusual parking situation, you may need it.

For the record the 458 is a lot better than the F430.

So the deal breaker depends on where you park it and how difficult it is to get into the driveway.

14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did no torder my car with the lifter and do not expect it to be a problem on resale....

15. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Lift systems significantly complicate front ends adds weight and frankly has not been necessary... nor missed

16. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I looked at retrofitting to my 458. I was advised I would need the adaptive headlights in order to fit the lift kit. Laws in some areas require that (so not to blind oncoming traffic).
    I don't believe it is a major point for resale.
    I live in an area where a lift kit could be handy, but it's not a necessity.
    BTW I have two Porsches. They are quite a bit lower at the front than the 458.
    I didn't want the extra weight or maintenance that comes with the lifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Wow, a 5 year thread resurrection! But for the record, I don’t use or spec lift. Might with the Pista.

18. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Ordered it on my soon TBD 488. To me it’s essential.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Same here. I did not order it on my incoming 488 spider.

20. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I used to say, the only time I use my lifter is when I try to open glove box and hit the wrong button. HOWEVER, I did find myself in a position last week where I needed it. Was very glad to have it as the bottom of my front end would have taken some damage

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Certainly not a deal breaker. Certainly look into weaknesses of the lift system resulting in repair issues!

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In my area its almost essential. Also, if you ever think you might lower your car, even a little, it will be useful. In general I would not call this an absolute MUST option, but I would say its a very nice to have option. So far, I've ordered it on every car I have ordered.

23. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Where I live, I definitely need it. The driveways and parking lot entrances here are so bad that I have to take an angled approach on my sedan!

24. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Not a deal breaker for me... I don't need it there are other options that are much higher on the priority list!