Lightroom Question.. | FerrariChat

Lightroom Question..

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by msdesignltd, Apr 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When I upgraded to LR4, My LR3 stayed where it was with the info up until that day..
    Is it taking up valuable space on my hard drive or running concurrent with LR4's memory..

In other words can I delete the entire LR3 without incedince ???

Since I have such massive file size with my D800...
    I need to be frugal on disk space..
    What do I do when I hit a tera byte of photos?

2. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #2 blackwood, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    If memory serves the LR3 installation isn't very big (it doubled with LR4, probably due to the stupid photobooks; LR5 beta is about the same).

I assume you upgraded your LR3 catalog to LR4, right? It isn't backwards compatible. You can't open an LR4 catalog in 3. So unless you still have LR3 catalogs you want to work in 3 (which makes little sense since you could merely select process version 2010 rather than 2012 in LR4), it's just wasted space.

As for what you do when you hit 1TB... Buy more hard drives.

LR5 allows you to work with your source images offline after it builds some smaller stuff. May be a solution you want to investigate.

Edit:

Smart Preview: Lightroom allows you to edit offline images by storing a smaller version of the original image, called a smart preview. Edits made to the smart preview will automatically apply to the original once reconnected to Lightroom.

In other words, I believe you could for example go get a large external drive (like this 4TB USB3 seagate: http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2013/04/12/61519/Seagate-4TB-Expansion-USB-3-0-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive), and import your .NEF files to it. Build smart previews with LR5. Then you don't need to be connected to the external drive in order to use the Develop module.

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ERHHHH... I have been working off line with 3 and 4 for quite some time..why would 5 need an internet connection..

Is it a great improvement ...LR5 over LR4??

4. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #4 blackwood, Apr 18, 2013

Sorry, not offline as in connected to the Internet, but rather as in your massive D800 .NEF files aren't on a hard drive which is connected to the machine running LR (ie they are "offline"). It's a huge improvement for people who use laptops. They can store the data externally but don't need to drag the external drive around in order to post process (once the smart previews are built).

It seems a little faster, especially when changing modules, but it's still pretty buggy so I have to restart it a bunch.

They've added some Photoshop-esque functionality to the touch up brush which is nice. I'll likely upgrade, but IMO it's not on par with the massive leap they made from 3 to 4 with the introduction of process version 2012. More like iPhone 4 to 4s style upgrade than 4s to 5, if you get my meaning.

I believe they are going to a once-a-year release cycle, so we'll start seeing fewer major overhauls with each new version.

5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Apr 18, 2013
    HMM... I like the way you mention Buggy...
    Sometimes, I should say all the time my cursor has a mind of its own and if I am not on it...it wanders off to another point on page..and I have to drag it back...annoying ..
    I have my work desk top loaded with it and my mac pro loaded with it,
    They both have minds of thier own..
    Maybe they cant handle the file sizes??

Ok...2 weeks and I will have LR5

Sorry, so I can go into settings / add or delete program and delete LR3??
    That should clear out 200 to 300 GB's.

6. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Uninstalling will only get rid of the software. It should save a few hundred megs, maybe a few gigs if you include old previews and .LRCAT, but not hundreds of gigs unless you duplicated your source files when you went to 4 (and even then uninstalling wouldn't trigger those duplicates to be deleted anyway).

May I suggest launching LR3, right clicking an image and clicking "show in explorer(/finder if osx). That will take you to where the bulk of the data resides. I'm guessing your LR4 catalog points to the same data.

7. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, I am not as Tech savvy as I appear.. ( LOL )
    You know that pie shape graph that says how much of what is filling space in my hard drive...well the biggest portion are photos and videos..
    should I not worry that LR3 is taking up a big portion of that..does it not duplicate what is already in LR4..does that duplication take up double that space..

Sorry I am self taught in this area.
    M

8. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    No problem.

LR is essentially a database management tool: it knows where the photos are stored, and it saves information ABOUT the images (your post processing history for example), but those photos and videos are not stored within the LR3 installation. If you go to Program Files/Adobe/, right click the LR3 folder and hit properties, you'll see exactly how much space it's using. It's likely about 500MB (my 4.4 and 5.0 are each roughly 900MB). The catalog file and previews aren't in there (maybe My Documents), nor are the images themselves (maybe My Pictures).

So in short, I'd not expect getting rid of LR3 to put a dent in that pie chart. It is wasted space, but only a few D800 raws worth of it ;)

LR5 + big external drive seems like a great solution for you.

9. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    As for duplication: don't worry about it. You'd have to have intentionally done it i.e. gone into wherever your pictures reside, copied them, pasted them elsewhere, and then imported them into LR4. I suspect you upgraded your LR3 catalog (which basically means LR4 created a new one with all the pertinent info from the old one). The only redundant data is the old .LRCAT file from LR3 and the previews (what you actually see inside lightroom) associated with it. If you never plan to use LR3 again (and I maintain there is no reason to), you can safely delete the software, the LR3 catalog, and the LR3 previews. Just make sure you don't accidently delete your current LR4 catalog. They may be named very similarly. Mine with entries for roughly 50,000 images is only about 500MB, so again not much savings relative to high res cameras. If you aren't certain which catalog is which, don't delete any of them.

Deleting the previews on the other hand is not a big deal. Even if you accidently delete the LR4 previews, you can always re-create them. And unless you routinely go back and look at old photos within LR, they serve little purpose.

10. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Now thats the answers I was looking for..Lightroom does not duplicate image space , just creates a short cut to them from upgrades.
    Thank You,
    How do you know so much , this is a hobby or a profession for you.??

11. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Just a hobby and generally anal about how I maintain computer data (and thus want to know how and where it is created on my computers).

12. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    why wait, you can download the beta version right now for gratis to test drive for the next few months until they release the 1.0 version...

so far so good on my win8 system. smooth, plays nicely with my nik suite.

I passed on lr4 and do a every other upgrade for these so it'll be time to pony up when this one comes out officially...

13. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Yah I've read it's much friendlier with plugins. I don't use any so I have no reference.

Mine crashes out occasionally, and frequently the adjustment brush stops working (rather than adding a spot, it just zooms in and out - restarting it is the only resolution I've found).

I'm still working through a couple hundred images I started on Monday. Slow going due to crashes, but noticeably faster when it works.

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mine crashes out occasionally, and frequently the adjustment brush stops working (rather than adding a spot, it just zooms in and out - restarting it is the only resolution I've found).

I'm still working through a couple hundred images I started on Monday. Slow going due to crashes, but noticeably faster when it works.[/QUOTE]

WOW...I could have written this post you made, Word for Word..
    and I thought I was the only one..

15. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc