Torque and Hp ... | FerrariChat

Torque and Hp ...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PSk, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... As you may or may not know this has been discussed at great length on a new thread on this site, and a very long thread on the old FerrariChat.

In the end before believing anything, please take the time to understand F = m*a and how force is not interested in time but is an instantaneous value, that will change over time, as will the acceleration figure.

I am not saying you should believe me, but simply that you educate yourself BEFORE believing anything on the "torque versus hp for 360 replacement" thread.

Again read up before trying to impress your mates ... as I do not believe anyone should take some of the ideas from that thread as right. Just like anything you read on the internet ;)

Pete
    ps: The facts:

Hp = 2*pi*rpm*Torque.
    Torque = F*distance
    F = m*a

Obviously there are other formulae if you want but that is all you need ... Mitch has posted many.

2. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Does Ferrari offer any different rear end gear ratio's? I know that gears in say an S2000 can really improve it's acceleration and helps make up for its lack of torque Not saying that Ferrari's are lacking at all in the acceleration department but was just wondering if any different gear ratio's were available for it.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is a good question.

One would think that when they used to produce track cars that they would supply different gears to suit different tracks ... but do they now?

Pete

4. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles

Excactly what I was getting at but forgot to mention the track part. Would be interesting to hear about people trying different gearing ratio's. I know that in Mustangs a 4.10:1 gear is really the most feelable single addition besides forced induction. Stock is 3.27:1. Do Ferrari's (besides the 550/575) feel like it takes a while to get into the power band, or is it pretty strong in the lower RPM's also? Only thing that a shorter gear ratio would adversley affect would be the highway cruising RPM. In the Stang, going from a 3.27:1 to a 4.10:1 raises the 5th gear cruising speed at 70mph from ~2000 rpm to around 2600 rpm.