Garage floor | FerrariChat

Garage floor

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by boxerman, Apr 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Redoing my Garage. Can paint floor or maybe some plastic tiles. What are the pros and caons. Also what is the best floor paint to get?

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  3. ferraritime

ferraritime Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington DC Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry H.
    #3 ferraritime, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 2 cents:

I've seen many floor tiles and nearly put them in. Then I saw this flooring (epoxy with heavy layer of color chips, with clear coat over that). Very, very durable, hides dirt and small smudges, but also hides small parts (nuts/bolts) if you drop them.

This flooring cleans very easily and does not lift.

This was installed professionally by Premier Garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev likes this.
  4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am a big fan of epoxy paint - my painted floor is over 6 years old at motorsport ranch and sees hot slick tires and gets serious use with 2 lifts and heavy work including engine and transmission swaps, jack stands, jacks and so on. I don't know what brand paint was used, but I think any good epoxy is probably OK.

The pictured surface is nice, too, but how much per square foot? I had my floor done for under $2.00 a foot if I recall correctly and some of the fancy coatings are way over that. Since I had 2500 square feet of shop I did not want to spend $10K coating it.

That said, doing an old garage is tricky, as surface prep is key. My floor was new construction so no old stains or residue to deal with.

5. ferraritime

ferraritime Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington DC Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry H.
    Yes, the coating is a bit pricey, but less than quality plastic tiles. This floor was closer to $4.00/ft, but that included complete surface grinding, crack filling, etc. Very pleased with the result, and no regrets. You get what you pay for and I think this floor looks like a million!

6. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Stay away from vinyl or rubber tiles; every imperfection of the slab will show through after the weight of the car rolls over it. If you go with ceramic tile, get it with solid color all the way through. If you drop a wrench or hammer on solid color tile, the chip won't be as noticeable.

7. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #7 Mighty Joe, Apr 24, 2013
  8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The epoxy and clear coat floors are great but be careful not to do a lot of neutral steers while sitting still in the car - over time it will dull the floor to some degree

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 bball16, Apr 25, 2013
  10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #10 raider1968, Apr 25, 2013
    Forgot the floor picture

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    very nice
    my epoxy floor is 13 yrs old & still looks good!

12. ferraritime

ferraritime Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington DC Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry H.
    Sorry, but the warning about doing neutral steers while sitting still in the car. . .for real?

Who does that?

Straight in, straight out. . .occassionally a 2nd gear burn out maybe, but neutral steering?

LOL!

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #13 MBFerrari, Apr 25, 2013
  14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Sometimes if you do not hit it head on coming in the garage you might leave front wheels turned to some degree - when you crank up and start to move you realize you need to turn the wheel - it is just much better if you are barely moving when you do it rather then at a dead stop - I don't always get my 4 cars exactly straight especially when they are parked 2 deep

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #15 raider1968, Apr 25, 2013
  16. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    #16 silver1331, Apr 26, 2013
    Baitschev and SingleClutch like this.
  17. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Refresh on some of the way back garage floor threads- I'm going through it right now and even though I've had epoxy floors before the info in the old threads was helpful. I looked at Vinyl 1x1's, tiles and epoxy. In the end, although it's a huge pain in the ass with the grinding and dust I decided to do an epoxy finish. The previous finish was poorly done and had failed. For grind, sand, prime, color coat, flakes and two coats of clear it's $4' which I think is damn reasonable. Vinyl squares were about $2' installed and they would have worked in the warm climate. I just didn't like any of the coin finish or race deck stuff. I looked at some of the metallic finishes and they are about $8'. I think they would have looked terrible but are kind of cool in a restaurant.

updating the lighting from 8' fluorescents to LED and buying 15' of cabinets too. It's a little out of control but it will be nice to pull into a tidy garage.

EastMemphis likes this.
  18. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
  19. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  20. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I did rustoleum professional in my auto repair shop business. After 8 years or so, I had a spot wear out back to concrete in the most heavily used 4 sq. ft. The rest looked great. I had zero lifting, bubbling, scraping,etc. I never had a problem with tires peeling any up and has tires turned lock to lock at standstill countless times.