IRL cars | FerrariChat

IRL cars

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by yesod, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I caught part of the race today.Is it just me or does anyone else think the IRL cars are just plain ugly?. I know they are designed for ovals but they just don't compare to an F1 car.

2. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i think they look great

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I don't prefer the looks of one over the other.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Damn I missed the race.But I've always prefered the look of a CHAMP car over the irl cars for some reason.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They kinda look like older F1s....

..sorta.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think they are starting to look better. The first few years I thought they were bulky looking and ugly. The "cart" cars or what ever they are calling them now are sleeker. I like the looks of F1 the best. Its a shame,CART used to be a good series and I was a big fan but now I could care less about it.

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i watched the race today. I have to say that I'm starving for the next WRC event and the start of F1!!!!! All I watch for in these oval races is the spectacular crash. Though the nuances are starting to sink in. These guys are going very fast!!!

Vincent.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    All the open wheel series look the pretty much the same to me...

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As long as they go round and round I couldn't care less what they look like.

10. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Superspeedway's (ovals) dictate design though in recent years I have started to question the width increases on IRL cars. This seems to make the even more prone to taking off upside down.

CART's oval-spec car designs were much narrower and compact and I think that's why we never saw them get airborne like these cars have the past two seasons.

The design parameters and downforce characteristics make F1 and IRL cars totally different.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jon,

One thing i have heard is that the current crop of IRL carsthey actually use negative angles of attack on the front wings to lift the nose of the car up since they produce more down force than what is needed and this has been one of the causes for the IRL cars becoming airborn the past couple of seasons.

Rob