Is this real? "Wingsuit" flys through "rock arch" | FerrariChat

Is this real? "Wingsuit" flys through "rock arch"

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Looks absulutly insane with zero magin for error. I remember seeing the aweful video of the stunt where some guy cut himself in half on a bridge cable....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8UCfxmtSw&feature=player_embedded]Unbelievable Wingsuit Cave Flight! Batman Cave, Alexander Polli - YouTube[/ame]

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think its real. There is one video where a guy actually hits the edge of an outcropping while performing a photo flyby. He bounced off and was able to either recover or just deploy his chute. Wouldn't be an option in this case.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I have a tech question. Why does the video sometimes open with the actual window but other times it is simply a link when you post? I'm doing the same thing, but the results are different as noted in the above two post.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    crash, or skip
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUl8AHnoJsg]Jeb Corliss Crashes into Table Mountain - Wingsuit Crash - YouTube[/ame]

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Fantastic :)

My cuz & I made a pact that we will take up wingsuit flying when we hit 70 cus we dont want to go in a Hospital bed

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    outraged Ferrari owner goes **** on fake pee'er = fake

flying through rock arch with wingsuit = 100% real. :)

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :)

He's got a pretty good site too. Wants to be taken 'seriously' as a professional athlete, not just a crazy dude with cojones the size of planets.....

Check out 'wingsuit proximity flying' on YouTube.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No you're not!.... ;)

If you look at your URL's you'll see in the first;

"feature=player_embedded"

versus the second;

"feature=player_detailpage"

Some (but not these) videos are set to disallow 'embedded' - You've gotta go to YT to view. It's something to do with how you C&P the link - IIRC, cutting off everything after the id code will make it display, if you got to it via some other method it'll mess up.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    And, through buildings in Rio.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5sExXMSBI]Caught on Tape: Wingsuit Stuntmen Fly Between Rio de Janeiro Skyscrapers - YouTube[/ame]

Little room for error. Nutters...

CW

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    hmmmm....thanks for the info. I am just right clicking on the video and selecting copy video url.

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    anyone know the speeds these guys are getting when they fly? Looks damn fast. I was told by a sky driving friend that they outlawed the length of wing suits years ago because people were killing themselves trying to land them but that they must have changed that..not sure where he got this info as I was curious and went to wiki and found this:

Wingsuit flying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and from that this:

On 28 May 2011, Japanese wingsuit pilot Shin Ito set world records for the fastest speed reached in a wingsuit of 363 km/h (226 mph).[28]

Records

Fédération Aéronautique Internationale has not established judging criteria for official world record wingsuit formations. However, several national organizations have established record categories and have established criteria for judging whether or not a wingsuit formation is complete.[citation needed]

The largest wingsuit formation officially recognized as meeting the criteria for a national record consisted of 68 jumpers in an arrowhead formation which set a US National Record at Lake Elsinore, California, on 12 November 2009.[24]

The largest unofficial record was a diamond formation involving 100 jumpers at Perris, California, on September 22, 2012.[25]

On 8 June 2006, Australian couple Heather Swan and Glenn Singleman jumped from 21,780 ft (6,640 m) of Meru Peak in India setting a world record for highest Wisbase jump.[26]

The longest verified WiSBASE jump is 7.5 km (4.6 mi) by Dean Potter[27] on 2 November 2011. Potter jumped from Eiger and had spent 3 minutes and 20 seconds in flight, covering 9,200 ft (2.8 km) of altitude.

On 28 May 2011, Japanese wingsuit pilot Shin Ito set world records for the fastest speed reached in a wingsuit of 363 km/h (226 mph).[28]

On 20 and 21 April 2012, Colombian skydiver Jhonathan Florez set Guinness World Records in wingsuit flying. The jumps took place in La Guajira in Colombia. following records:
    • The longest (duration) wingsuit flight – 9 minutes 6 seconds
    • The highest altitude wingsuit jump – 11,358 m (37,265 ft)

On 23 May 2012, British stuntman Gary Connery safely landed a wingsuit without deploying his parachute, landing on a crushable "runway" (landing zone) built with thousands of cardboard boxes.[29]

On 26 May 2012, Japanese wingsuit pilot Shin Ito achieved two new world records: "greatest horizontal distance flown in a wing suit" [26.9 km (16.7 mi)][30] and "greatest absolute distance flown in a wing suit" [28.707 km (17.838 mi)], both of which were above Yolo County, California, USA.[31]

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Absolutely incredible!

14. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    OMG...Wait till you see this video of the above crash. Amazing still photos at the impact.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFCQRwj28w&feature=player_embedded]Jeb Corliss - Grounded - YouTube[/ame]

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #16 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    check out this interview and some of the "flying". He also flew through an "arch" in China..errrrrooooo. Just watched this to the end, he has a death wish. They said all their friends are dead and now his goal is to touch things on purpose. The other thing is he had some kind of disorder that he had to do things he feared.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHiAeqhlpKY&feature=player_embedded]Jeb Corliss interview wingsuit flying and accident - YouTube[/ame]

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Anybody know any of these guys and/or familiar with what is involved? I'm really curious what kind of planning goes into these jumps. It could be that they just work their way lower over multiple jumps but I'm kinda curious if they use any software modeling or anything. At work we use some parachute / airdrop stuff that gives really interesting data including probability data for a load landing in a particular area. I wonder if they use anything similar as it could spit out info for a descent profile.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Unfortunately not and a little...... ;)

Great thoughts..... Seems to me the ones that last do indeed do much 'mission planning'. They practice, they get a little closer, they 'feel' the air and their cojones get bigger...... I don't think they can simulate that.(?)

I also think they're now genuinely 'flying', not just steering, but generating lift on occasion. A *lot* more difficult to simulate than a 'passive' drop(?)

Just some WAG's..... Pretty impressive stuff regardless. :)

Cheers,
    Ian

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The software can target both dumb and smart loads. You put in a drop altitude and load info and gives you probability ellipses for what you can make it end up in a variety of circumstances. You could basically generate target altitudes / descent profiles to hit at various points on the descent.

Now I have a random thing to tinker with at work tomorrow....

20. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    It was my plan to get squirrel suite certified Q2 this year, but looks like it'll be more like next year at this point.

There's a vid of a guy hitting Royal Gorge "Sky Bridge" or whatever it's called. Thought it was fatal, no sure. The originators all seemed to have died while doing it

21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    this month's outdoor magazine has an article on the guy that hit the rock with his leg, he was trying to clip a balloon that was supposed to be 6' off of the deck but ended up being 6" due to a string being held up on a rock. Also, the same guy that was flying with the guy that cut by the bridge, one was supposed to go below and one above, the above guy didn't make it. The story is supposed to be about risk....worth a read, he should have been dead five times over.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Similar to free climbers. Many die. The wing suiters don’t likely get that”Ah F!” Moment before their butthole goes through their brain.

24. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    1 death per 500 jumps. Just quit @ 499 !

Hannibal308 and Bob Parks like this.
  25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One little mistake and splat.