How old where you the first time you drove a Ferrari - and what model was it? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

How old where you the first time you drove a Ferrari - and what model was it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MisterMaranello, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Onno! The only other story that comes close to this one in my life is the first car I owned/purchased/restored with my dad at the age of 12. This 430 brought those feelings of excitement for a machine back which I thought would not be possible.
    Aloha,
    Gil

2. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    #127 skelly, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was 28 and had just purchased my 328 'garage find' earlier that evening. I couldn't help but change the oil, charge the battery, and see if she'd run.

I proceeded to put about 30 miles on the odometer within a few miles' radius of home. It's a night I'll never forget!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. vintageferrari330

Jul 11, 2012
    #128 vintageferrari330, Apr 16, 2013
    31. Spoke to Ferrari LI about my misgivings of the 360 F1 and they said you need to test drive the 430 F1, that it was night and day. Test drove it. Bought it. Haven't looked back since. (was told not to look forward either - i.e. don't drive the 458 because I'll instantly want one!) :)

4. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    18. I was able to borrow a friend's 348TS every Friday of the summer after high school before I left for college. Awesome car to drive around in all day long!

No F-car yet, but I'd have to go for a F355 Berlinetta in TDF Blue for my first purchase.

5. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    18... back in 1987. The car was a 1980 or 81 308GTSi, and driven under the supervision of a rep (Jeff, I believe?) from "Classic Ferrari" in Richardson, TX. It was a dream car at the time, but well beyond my means at 18.

I did return to the same dealer five years later and purchased a Lotus Esprit that had been traded in on a Testarossa. It took me another 15 years to complete the cycle and buy in. A 348... I still find myself drawn to mid 70s to late 90s designs.

6. Bailes16M

Bailes16M Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bailey Smith
    Just a month ago I drove a red on tan F430 spider for my 17th birthday! Don't think I'll ever forget that day. Had my girlfriend in the passenger seat and my best friend in a Murcielago next to me! Was a good day, now just need my own to drive whenever I'd like :) didn't realize it but I made an identical thread to this one after the drive, maybe an admin will catch this and join the two? Don't know if that's possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    46. Test drove a MT 430 spider. I have one in the garage now but not the car I test drove.

8. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    26, it was an '87 328 in Honolulu, HI. :)

9. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    I was 30. It was the weekend of my wedding. July 23, 2005. See my profile for the pic!

Money well spent. I was hit with an excess mileage penalty (yes it was a rental). I said "here ya go, it is worth every penny". Great weekend. My wife enjoyed driving Sunday with me, and her thrill was taking the Ferrari through the Tim Hortons drive through ; )

Chris

10. 308mash

308mash Formula Junior

May 20, 2009
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was 42 when I bought an 83' 308gtb in 1995. Sold it to author Cormac McCarthy.

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #136 Heat Seeker WS6, Dec 10, 2013
    I was 36 and it was a 430 Scuderia that I tracked at Road America.

A week before this particular event and after a nice long conversation with its owner I was invited by him to take it out on track and put it through its paces. There was no way I was saying 'no', but I also understood the responsibilities and risks bestowed upon me by agreeing; plus I had plenty of time to prepare. Unlike the vast majority of people whose first experiences with these cars is on the street, this was on an actual racetrack. The Scud was the 'hot' car in that session, so there were alot of people watching it- besides the owner and his family. The circumstances were perfect: at Road America- I track I already have thousands of miles on in both my own car and instructing, perfect weather, and a somewhat controlled group to run in. Plus most of my freinds were packed into the Turn 5 stands, so I also had the oppertunity to work the car for them with cameras rolling.

I spent the early moring hours of that day driving it around the infield & paddock getting used to it- the acclimation to it came rather quickly and it all felt natural to me. Once our session got underway I quickly got used to the shifting & braking capability and was constantly finding more speed with it. Having alot of time in higher HP cars and knowing that track so well, there wasn't any surprises or sensations I haven't felt before.... except for those carbon ceramic brakes. 'Unreal... friggin unreal' I kept saying aloud as I worked it more and more in the braking zones. My passenger was giggling like a little girl and I may I may have been too! I don't have any laptimes but we were seeing 140's into T1 and almost that into T5. Not too bad for the first time out in a Ferrari I thought.

12. RJuan

RJuan Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2013
    22, 512 BBI from Koenig, I got so hard from driving that my Girlfriend had to open her legs right away, it was short and intense and right back driving the car.

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    15, 308gt4, wish I still had it.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    42. when I bought the CS. Drove it home.
    wasn't as awesome an experience as I thought it would be. It is actually a lot more enjoyable now than then, as I come to learn more about the car's quirks, limits, strengths.

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'll be 30 in ten days and haven't ever driven one. I'd never ask to drive someone else's car though. Even if offered, I don't know if I'd accept if I couldn't write a check to replace the car in case anything happened.

Mark

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  17. bryanrj

bryanrj Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
    Full Name:
    Bryan Willy
    23 and a California for 20 minutes. It was early this year.

18. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    16....(5 years ago) fathers 1990 TR with 700 original miles....also that year dad's 88' 328 GTB (my favorite) and 90' 348 TB

19. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    330 gtc on a rally, I was 22 or 23

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    33, f355. I ended up buying it.

21. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    The first time I drove a Ferrari I was 17. It was a 360 Spider, stick shift car, the owner had just picked it up. It had 350 miles on it. Incredible.

22. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    27. I have not driven one yet. However, I am on track to purchase in the future and I look forward to the day.

I have a GT3 right now and it definitely satisfies me... for now :)

23. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    18 or 19, a friend of mine's dad had a Testarossa and generously let us try it out a couple of times. We were actually very responsible and non-idiotic as teenagers go, so I suppose he figured he could trust us. He had a lot of neat cars in his collection that his son grew up driving from time to time, and he always took proper care of them. I will never forget the way that drive felt, and I was hooked permanently!

24. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I was 8 when my father "made me" learn to drive(was scared snotless at the time), I benefitted-in retrospect-by living in a "gated" neighborhood in the 1960's when such things were much rarer than today...and frankly as kids, made us feel a bit uncomfortable, as all the other kids' parents would frequently be heard whispering that: "they have family money"...
    The REAL benefit was a driveway that was 8 miles with untold miles of other "roads"...
    needless to say, by age ten I could drive almost anything, and quite fast as we all now started buying and building go-Karts, mini bikes and motorcycles...since all old english sports cars had non stynchro first gears, learning to drive a semi-crash box was a neccessity, thus became reflexive in nature...all the other kids used to love coming to my house and spending all afternoon driving all over hell's half acre...
    There were only 2 cops in town, and they knew everyone..I was driving a pals 1954 toad of a speedster(1 of first 200 cars) around all over town-to his horror: " we are going to get arrested and thrown in jail!!!"
    To which my response was: " they never, ever seem to pull us over-no matter what-even when he looks me in the eye as we blow by at 5000rpm!"
    As an adult, I now realize the poor SOB was probably fearful for his job if stopping the wrong guys kid and tossing him in jail....Boy, was the world a different place in those days...frankly, thank god...

As fully infected gear heads, we all, somehow found the other local guys(older men) who raced(usually without the knowledge of the rest of the local townspeople, as this was socially-in New England-largely considered to be playboy activities for the idle, and would guarantee that eventually it would lead to a life of leisure and "no-good nik,"no account, bum dom). When really, really exposed up close and personal to Ferrari racing cars(weren't they ALL racing cars?) in 1960s, THAT WAS IT-I WAS INFECTED, it was a terminal case...

The guy let me drive his funky old 2 door coupe(now known to be an SWB)-with peeling paint, smoked like hell, 2 packs a day, clouded plastique windows, etc...but what a sound...and it pulled like a train when you put your foot in it...
    I was at least 13, almost 14 years old-it was spring, the dogwoods had bloomed, and it was getting hot...probably 14(6 ft tall and 180 with a mustache-so I LOOKED at least 20 already)
    The next year, he introduced me to a guy with what he called "the 375"...that's a story for another time...
    The most ridiculous part to this story was that I found out that summer that I had a neighbor with SEVERAL "old" Italian sports cars which had been sitting for a number of years-after the 4 sons had gone to europe-almost certainly Harvard "junior year abroad", brought them home, they died(the cars) and remained parked in the heated flagstone "carriage" house for 25 cars, and would I like to earn some money that summer cleaning out "all those old junk cars and tyres and boxes of engines?"
    Hard to beleive, but a true story, but remember: NOBODY had EVER heard of George McGovern yet...perspective IS important...
    In the end-as it was for me then-these are just cool "old" cars...

25. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    17, brand new 575 in Tokyo.