550 in Sioux Falls, SD - PPI? | FerrariChat

550 in Sioux Falls, SD - PPI?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Xtreme5053, Apr 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Anyone familiar with this car?

Used 1998 Ferrari F550 Maranello For Sale in Sioux Falls SD | VIN: ZFFZR49A9W0111043

Also, where would I get a PPI done around there? (Saw some threads for Chicago area, not a whole lot for SD....)

P.S. - What are your thoughts on the color combination? Sandy didn't like it at first, but I think the colors are a unique combination that "juuust" balances each other out. If nobody likes it, I don't want to have a "one-off" when I go to resell it.

2. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Pretty car and a great color combo

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I am not trying to pooh-pooh on your parade, but.....

1) That car is in South Dakota
    2) It is substantially over-priced
    3) It is being offered for sale as a used car at a Subaru dealership

;) Those would be 3 red flags for me. There is no shortage of other 550s for sale in the market today, so I would look for another one --- just my opinion.

4. Xtreme5053

Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    1. I know the fact that it's in South Dakota is giving me some issues for finding someone local to take a look at it. Where there other issues with the location?

2. Yeah, that's going to be a fun conversation to try and get it to a normal range. I like to use Blackbook values; I think NADA is always a little on the high side. This is even above NADA! What do you think would be a fair value?

3. It's definitely not their normal fare, but it also seems like it was recently at a Ferrari dealership as well...

Ferrari 550 Maranello - Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Lotus of Denver - Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Lotus of Denver

The quick-flip is annoying, but at least it was recently under the care of folks who know what they're looking at.

5. ryan311

ryan311 Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2007
    Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You might try contacting Premier Auto Restoration. Healey Werks. Ferrari Maserati Austin Healey Restoration Aston Martin Jaguar. HealeyWerks.com to see if they would have anyone that could do a PPI for you. They are about 1 1/2 hrs from Sioux Falls, SD and is about the only place close that I can think of that may be able to assist you. They are primarily a restoration business but have serviced modern ferraris as well.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Too many variables to quote a firm number but I would suggest something a bit south of the asking price in Denver.

7. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    +1 !!! The guys at Healey are legit. I know a couple in the Midwest who have purchased and had their Ferrari taken care of by them and were very pleased.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Or, FoD took it on a trade, determined it was a basket case, did not want to damage their excellent reputation by putting a "lesser" car up for sale in their retail inventory, so they dumped it on the wholesale market to anyone with a Dealer license ?? ;)

What does the CarFax say on this car ??? Might be worth checking that out. If it shows a recent point-to-point transaction from one Dealer inventory to another Dealer inventory, I would run away from this one.

9. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I sold the car is question to the current seller...I was astonished to hear he put it up for sale as I thought this was going to be his fun summer car this year (I've sold him several cars over the years)

I can attest to you that it's a 100% legit car...two-owner Colorado car sold new by FoD and serviced here exclusively.

I've been itching to buy a 550 for quite some time and I was eager to buy this car when I took it in trade...that was until my Dealer Principal saw how nice the car was and he wouldn't let me buy it :(

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Derek,

Thank you for your candor. I am sure the OP, who is considering buying the car, appreciates it as well.:)

Maybe you would be willing to suggest what you feel is a fair price for this 550 then, so the next buyer, who may well be an F-Chatter, does not get taken advantage of ??

If the most recent buyer of this car is directly connected with the Suby dealership, he likely bought it as a dealer-to-dealer transaction, which means the price was quite likely even less than $81,966 you folks had it advertised for ---- is that a fair supposition ??

To the OP ---

If you like this car and it checks out, I would try offering something in the neighborhood of $75-78K (CASH), and see what happens :).

11. Xtreme5053

Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Well, here's your chance! :D

In all seriousness though, I'm glad to hear it's been well cared for. It's been interesting trying to find someone wrench-minded who's nearby.

12. Xtreme5053

Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    I think these are all valid questions and could certainly be very helpful to myself or the next person down the line.

We've had some cursory price discussions, but there's a fair amount of distance between advertised and where I would like to end up. That being said, I'm a patient fellow. :)

13. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I spoke to the guys over there and yes in fact this car is a summer driver. I am in Sioux Falls and have been here on Fchat for a few years, I could go have a look for any of you. The guys over there are good guys!

14. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    It's baaaaackkkkk!!!!! Ferrari 550 Maranello - Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Lotus of Denver - Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Lotus of Denver

He decided he wanted a convertible for the summer so we made the swap for a
    California over the weekend. It's got about 400 more miles so it's at 17k plus he tinted the windows and added a new Pioneer head unit. I don't particularly like the new stereo because it looks out of place but the good news is that I have the oem head unit and window tint is easy to remove :)

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    So, I guess the 550 is not only holding its value in today's market, but it is actually appreciating ?

A few months later and an additional 400 miles on the OD, and it is worth $1,000 more......from $81,966 to $82,944......sounds like a good investment opportunity ;).

16. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Somebody needs to buy this! It gets more expensive every time it trades hands. :)

17. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Or you could consider it a bargain!...Schulte had it advertised in the upper $90s! ;)