Ferrari Challenge Sonoma | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Sonoma

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Sledge4.2, Feb 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Great day at Sonoma -- word of advice: if you plan to track Saturday, don't miss the drivers' meeting in the morning, as they will not allow you on the track

2. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    What time is the drivers meeting tomorrow am?

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    9am sharp.

Anyone know where/who can scrub down my tires? That last session today just killed my tires...there is so much junk on them.

4. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Folks,

I just got home from the drive back to Sac, and I couldn't wait to post here. I wanted to say a great big THANK YOU to Ferrari of SF, Hooked on Driving, everyone involved in creating this day. Thank you for making it one of the best days of my Ferrari ownership, and for helping to remind me why I adore that little car of mine.

It was so good to finally put faces and real names to all the handles I've seen over the years I've been here, to reunite with old buddies (I'm looking at you, Dan, Albert, Joe, and all the rest of the FOG guys whom I don't get to spend nearly enough driving and lunch time with), hang out with the guys from here in Sac (Daves B&P, Mark, Dave and Janet, Nate), the Reno guys (shout-outs to Mike and Gil, who woke up super-early and drove a long time to make it to Sonoma). To new friends, MChanMD and his lovely lady, who was kind enough to join me for the first touring session.

Thanks to the Fiat 500 Abarth guys, who gave the guys just two more reasons to make fun of me - a full 1.000 second reaction time (yuck!) and a a really slow track time, that I didn't have time to improve upon with a second attempt. Thanks to all the staff, caterers (lunch was yummy, as it is every year!), track volunteers...

I had a wonderful day, enjoyed talking everyone's ears off, getting a little sunburnt, and just enjoying life... in California... on a gorgeous day... with a Ferrari. Who could ask for more?

See you all soon - I promise I'll do my best to see you before this time next year!

Orrie

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1. Orrie, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello, but thanks for taking Capt WillieB's buddy Vince around the track. I took his other buddy, Jake. Great fun! Sharing our cars is a great thing to do to help dispel people's misperceptions. Saw JWolfe put a little tyke in his car and help taking a photo with the kid's dad. Nice one, J!

6. vamz

vamz Rookie

Nov 19, 2011
    Was there a Ducati tent like last year? I've always only gone on Saturdays, what is the turn out like on Sunday?

7. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    What a fantastic day. The weather was simply perfect, the cars were perfect, the atmosphere was perfect. Dave, Nate, Orrie, and Michael it was great seeing all of you again. Orrie, the Fiat mini-autocross was too fun; wish we could have done it again. David, Pierre, Albert, and Nick; it was great to meet you all today and a special thank you to Nick for letting me tag along for one of the touring sessions in his gorgeous 360. Mike, as always, great spending time with you and THANK YOU for inviting me along for the ride to/from the track and for the VIP pass. It was a fantastic trip. To be honest, I didn't get many photos this year; I was too busy having fun. I did, however, manage to get a couple photos which I am going through right now. I will also be posting my video from the Abarth autocross.

Very, very fun day.

-Gil

8. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    #108 Vraiment, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    +1 - great to see you Orrie -- one of the better Challenge weekends I recall - BIG thanks to Kevin and the entire HOD staff!

9. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Gil no need to thank among friends it was great meeting you also. Great event!
    Special gratitude to Dave B. and Orrie for setting up the drive to the event.

10. SKUSA

SKUSA Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2009
    Norcal
    It was great seeing everyone. A big thanks to Kevin, HOD and FoSF for making such a great day possible. Life is good!

11. M16M

M16M Rookie

Nov 6, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    GB
    +1 and then some.....

12. SC David

SC David Karting

Jan 15, 2006
    SF, CA
    #112 SC David, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. SKUSA

SKUSA Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2009
    Norcal
  14. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    gorgeous shot, DB!

15. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Nice way to start my morning. Very nice line, SK! And great recovery on #2 early on. Interesting moment when you come up on 3a and there is the cloud of dust from the car in front -- given it's blind and you see the dust first before the track and what's on it -- marveled at the point by you are given mid second apex at #7. Great to see the edge of #5 get used -- lots of grip there that often gets missed. At times it seemed like you were the only one out there - was this the last sport session on Saturday? Where did all the other cars go?

16. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I think that was the second session. Made me tired just watching. You went all out the whole time. Well done.

17. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Me too!

Gotta hand it to you DAK and SK -- you 3-pedalers have a lot of work to do out there

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    They're not the only ones with 3 pedals. John in his TR was lapping as quickly as some of the "faster" cars!

19. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    Great vid. This 355 sounds awesome!

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    John is blazing fast!!!

I grinned when I saw this; the 355 having a little too much fun ;):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5GenOVKKM]Ferrari Spin at Sonoma Raceway (HD 1080p) - YouTube[/ame]

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Beautiful! More please ;)

22. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
  23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Hahaha! I liked how he just passed that baby blue Cali on the outside after turn 8 (17:00), that guy does not know how to point whatsoever!

Me and 2 other guys were stuck behind him while watching him weave left and right like a mad man, so I don't blame the 458 ahead of me for not wanting to pass him. We pitted and headed back out and all was good again.

24. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  25. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    My first time at a Ferrari Challenge weekend and I had a great time. As others have posted the event is very well run and the weather was beautiful. Sorry I didn't spend more time visiting with you guys but I was keeping my Italian friend Giancarlo busy. His company is a sponsor of a Ferrari team in Italy (AF corse ::: AFcorse :::) and they have a professional connection to Ferrari Fort Lauderdale. Their manager Ronnie Voegel was very gracious, showed us through their operation, and arranged for Giancarlo to do two hot laps in the challenge car at lunch. The highlight of his day I am sure. We had fun goofing around in the touring sessions. I wouldn't miss this event if they hold it again next year. Hope to see you all soon for a drive and a chance to compare notes on the weekend.

MW