SD cards....F'm | FerrariChat

SD cards....F'm

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by msdesignltd, Apr 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So pissed..
    I remove and replace my SD cards frequently...between LR4 and my Nikon...

this happened twice now...first the little slide lock...loosens up...and every time I place it back in camera it slides back to lock..ok gotta be careful putting it in...but after 10 in outs...the white slide breaks off in locked position...first with lexar 64 g and today with 128 g..

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I have never needed to lock my SD card, so when that started happening to me, a tiny drop of superglue onto the slide in the unlocked position fixed it. Has worked fine for me for over a year now.

3. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I've never had that happen, but I only have one camera that uses SD (rarely used p&s I scuba dive with). I have had 3 SD cards fail. I've never had CF fail. Anecdotal, sure, but it is my experience. No SD for me as long as I can avoid it.

4. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nikon has dual slots..SD and CF

Will probably go to CF..but my lap top has convient SD slot...

I have seen these industrial stregnth cards ...made from Steel..
    wondering???

5. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Yah I don't know why they went with multiple formats. Just pick one (eg D7000 with dual SD).

I can see why they added XQD to the D4 (it's new/future proofing and easier to fit in a full size body), but adding SD to CF is just weird. Canon did it too with the 5D3 (as opposed to dual CF in the full sized bodies).

I get that CF is significantly more expensive than SD (probably just due to market effects), but still. I'd rather the camera be a little cheaper and have a single slot than add SD to CF.

...what a CF! :p

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the point was to either catch overflow or Record one in video one in still or record in raw and jpeg simultaniosly..
    I like 2 , they should just be identical

7. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    What for?

Raw + jpeg I don't understand other than for on-assignment people who have to turn things around quickly yet want to preserve raw data for later. To me that would be a big annoyance to have to go through and pick which to keep raw and which to keep jpeg. Just added work.

I wouldn't mind two, but I'd strictly mirror the data for redundancy purposes).

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    CF all the way!!!

9. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Only CF problem I have had was when I was stupid enough to not turn off the camera before I took it out. Ruined the card right away.