Front Wheel Bearing Failure | FerrariChat

Front Wheel Bearing Failure

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nino calamita, Apr 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    #1 nino calamita, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At long last here in the UK there appears to be 2 days of decent weather strung togerther enough to drive my Mondial but on doing so I detected a strange noise coming from one of the front wheels. This as it turns out was the wheel bearing falling appart and nearly seized up. Upon removal and stripdown it appears that both the plastic ball cages have broken probably due to becoming brittle with age. Anyone else had this problem.

Nino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Front wheel bearings are usually tapered rollers ... Do Ferraris use ball bearings, weird?
    Pete

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Essentially everything (even F) after the early~mid 1980s uses the double-row (monolithic) ball bearing at the front -- so you are dating yourself ;)

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I just did this on my TR at ~67K miles (which uses the same bearing) and the cages seemed OK (but the bearing was "dry" enough to where any further use probably wouldn't have done it any good) -- of course, I wasn't going to do any "flex" tests to the cages ;). You can see one of the cages in the background of this photo -- it's sort of a double cage that keeps the two ball row sets staggered by 1/2 pitch:

How many miles on your Mondial bearings? If you do a search on the F PN "112799", you should get some prior threads that you may find useful.

TR front hub assembly after cleaning/repacking/reassembly:

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not so on Toyotas, or at least the ones I've worked on ... rear wheel drive ones anyway.

Weird as taper roller surely superior ... ?
    Pete

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Depends how you define "superior" -- for absolute strength (like hitting a curb over-and-over), the tapered roller bearings probably are better, but the monolithic double-row ball bearing can't be mis-assembled (at the car assembly plant), nor have the wrong preload at assembly, and it is a much more compact design far better suited to modern chassis layouts using large positive wheel offsets (i.e., to use the tapered cylindrical roller bearings efficiently needs a wheel design, like the 308, with the center projection sticking out -- modern wheels have a more-flush outside surface to reduce drag).

PS I wrote "essentially everything", not "absolutely everything" ;)

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Niño, what was the "weird sound"? A rattle, a squeal or a squeak?

8. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    It was more of a droning sound which got more progressive the higher the road speed.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I just had my rotors off and didn't do the extra step as I was out of time. Guess I may pull it apart again this weekend and take a look at what's going on in there.

Thanks Nino for reminding us.

I've had a tech say he's never seen a failure of these bearings in a regularly used vehicle, but that was 4 years ago and they get older every year. 25 years with no new grease is a long time.

10. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    The thing is with this type of bearing is that it can be quite easy to take appart and repack with new grease, something really that can be done on a regular basis. Once it fails it can prove quite expensive, Eurospares quote £600 in total. Ordered mine from my local supplier Spire Bearings in Chesterfield for the sum of £60 total and it is a genuine origional SKF bearing. Will post pics later this evening.

11. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    #11 nino calamita, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's a fantastic low price -- was your SKF supplier able to provide it just by using the 441996R part number marked on the race (and did your old one have the same marking)?

13. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    yes it was all done via the SKF part no.

14. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Any step by step DIY for removal of the bearings? Sorry I didn't do a search.

Ace

15. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Wheel bearings are in my TBD list. I replaced the front rotors but did not have enough time to repack the bearings. Done by the PO a few years back.

Per the pictures shown in this thread, and in the Ricambi parts list, I do not see a seal. Is there one that I need to replace when repacking them?

16. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    sorry no step by step removal pics but it is very straight forward to remove the bearing. Regards the seal on the bearing if you look at post #4 you will notice that in the 1st pic there is a seal on the outer race but in the 2nd pic there is no seal. When the bearing is bolted in place on the hub it fits in a way that a seal is not needeed. Note that the TR bearing does not have an ABS ring where as the Mondial has one at the back of the bearing.

Nino.