456 engine issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 engine issue

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Celio, Apr 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Of course, it could be as simple as :
    faulty relay for injectors on one side - try switching left-right relays

Are you getting a Pcode from Check Engine Light?

Leaking oil from cam cover corners is very common and would not cause running issues.
    Ron

PS DK Engineering highly respected name, they will find it for sure

2. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I can second the relay issue. My 2001 was running like a 6 cylinder. Code reader said i had a dead cylinder. While running i noticed passenger side of the engine was cool and drivers side was hot. Checked fuel pumps and passenger side had no power. Each pump has it's own relay so i switched relays and passenger side starting running but drivers side now dead. Bought a relay at PepBoys for $11 and now runs like a champ.

Kent

3. Celio

Celio Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Celio
    Some update:

Picked up my car from my mechanic who says "he knew" what's wrong with my 456 and told me that should cost me at least £12k. Ouch!!!!

I had planned to go to DK Engineering anyway, about 20miles away. Sunny day, perfect to take the car out. First 3 or 4 miles with no power, really annoying and pretty scary. Then suddenly I got the power back, so nice, very happy!! All good for the rest of the journey.

Spoke to one of the technician at DK. Really nice chap. Told me straight away that I had no engine issue and the oil on top of the spark plugs came from somewhere else. Because the catalyst was making some tick noises and the warning lights asking me to slow down came up a couple of time before, the guy told me my loss of power probably came from there as he couldn't think of anything else.

We realised my fan didn't cut out, pretty usual apparently as the relay melt because of the heat. So my slight overheating was probably due to that.

I left my car there and asked them to make a full inspection of the car to advised me what to repair first. They are fully booked for 2 weeks so I have to be patient to get it back on the road!

Road trip to south of France and spain planned end of june, has to be ready then!!

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    That so called mechanic that "knows" what problem is and is only willing to tell you that it will "cost AT least 12K" is a thief.

Try with DK, they should be very competent and not out to just take money...

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The thief took a gamble and lost; he gave an incentive to get a second opinion regardless of the expense and inconvenience.

6. Celio

Celio Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Celio
    Very friendly people at DK.
    Could tell all the little things that was wrong with the car within 2 minutes. I guess after their full inspection, I will proper be gutted with even more issues...

However, I really had to insist to get my car checked over and the technician basically told me (without using those words) that I should get my £30k 456 repaired or serviced somewhere cheaper as they tend to charge a lot for sourcing parts. We were joking about ebay, which is obviously not where they get their parts from...

So I'm waiting for the result of the inspection and will see if everything needs to be done at DK. I know already that i'll get the rear disc and pads done somewhere else to save on labour.

Thinking of getting the quicksilver cat delete pipes. What do you guys think?

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I'd wait until DK gives you a full assessment of what's needed. That may lead to other alternatives to get the kind of exhaust sound you're looking for. Any good brake shop should be able to do the rotors and discs. As I said elsewhere today, take a look at formuladynamics.com.