F430 manifold warranty redux | FerrariChat

F430 manifold warranty redux

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gary(SF), Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So I thought I would start a new thread on this topic, since there does seem to be some confusion about whether the federal 8 year emission warranty is applicable to the manifolds. My '05 is 7.5 years old and just began to exhibit symptoms for the first time (original manifolds, 13k miles) My dealer says the manifolds are a 7 year warranty item, not eight, but the posts on FChat I researched consistently reference the 8 year warranty as governing.

So, first question - anyone out there with an F430 that had manifolds replaced under warranty that was over 7 years old?

Next, if the dealer is right, what is the best bang for the buck solution if I have to pay for the repair myself?

And, does anyone have a feel for the percentage of F430s affected? Sure seems like a lot, but you know how the internet is. I guess it never reached the level that would require a recall anyway.

Thanks FChatters!

Gary

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    In California:
    From the CA source: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf
    From there high cost emissions components are 7 years, 70k miles by law. However, three components are spelled out as being 8 years, 80k miles: ECU, OBD, and catalytic converters. The headers have pre-cats in them and hence should go under the 8 year warranty on cats as far as I understand it. Other states may be different.
    Jes

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yeah, I'm in CA and Ferrari of Silicon Valley is sticking with the 7 year story. I'll check with FoSF later today.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Gary

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i agree should be 8 for calif emmisions law but i have herad 7 too which i think is wrong

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I would print the CA CARB emissions warranty regulations and show them, and let them know you intend to pursue this to identify whether they are required by law to cover replacement. Doesn't really matter whether they want to or not if the law requires them to. Of course, perhaps there is a loop hole as the cats in the headers are PRE-cats, and it may be up for some legal interpretation whether pre-cats are cats, or only the main cats are cats...
    Jes

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think every 430 with the first design manifolds will fail. I also think your mileage is about average. Mine went at about 12K but that was nearly 5 years ago so no warranty issues.

I'm pretty sure EPA mandated 8 years for ECUs, OBDs and cats. The info may be in your service and warranty booklet. If not, check the EPA website. Your dealer may be acting upon edits from FNA.

The good news is that no one has reported a failure of the new design on Fchat that I'm aware of.

Dave

7. sadie1

sadie1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011
    Just had my 7.5 year 2005 430 headers replaced @14.5k miles by dealer in California under the factory 8 year warranty. They are definitely covered in California under the 8 year warranty.

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Thanks, interesting in light of Ferrari of Silicon Valley denying the claim.

- Gary

9. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    Just brought my 2007 F430 in for annual service.My mannifolds are ok(8991 miles).My dealer Scottsdale Ferrari (Arizona)says 8 years for free replacement.

10. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just had my 2005 headers replaced at FoSF just 2 months before the end of the eighth year. No charge, fully covered, great service.

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yes, indeed, no longer any doubt, just got my car back from FoSF, 7.5 yrs old, manifolds replaced under 8/80 warranty.

Gary

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If I were you I would consider reporting the dealer that denied the warranty repair to CARB. They may be in violation of the state required warranty to sell new vehicles in CA, and if they are, there may be other owners out there getting taken by them. Different story, of course, if FoSF is stretching the warranty policy as an "extra" service to owners (obviously Ferrari must be backing it).
    Jes

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I think it's pretty clear the manifolds are an 8/80 item because of the presence of pre-cats, and it's likely FoSV simply had a communication problem when they checked with FNA on coverage. I really doubt there was any serious attempt at fraud there. All my dealings with FoSV have been positive in the past.

Gary

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It has to be 8. I live in CA and have a 430 with a build date of July 2005. Just got them replaced this week under warranty. :)

15. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    What year did they fix the problem in the 430 or are they all affected?

16. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    How does it work outside of Cali... I am in NJ

17. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    Ferrari of San Francisco has quite a stellar reputation, I repeatedly see praise like this time and time again.

Which dealer may I ask?

The Mk 2 headers came out mid year in 2008, but the best are still FabSpeed, contact Jeff there should you need this ever again (no bad wishes).

BTW, mention FerrariChat for the extra discount as they are a sponsor
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sponsors.php
    http://www.fabspeed.com

18. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    I'm in PA, and my 2006 only has 5k on it. I'm afraid its going to die after the 8 year period :*(

Regardless, great thread, but can someone let me know what the symptoms of a manifold leak would be?

19. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I will be happy to help anyone who decides to walk away from the weak factory headers and wants an aftermarket alternative.

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Read this (if time permits); http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/377467-f430-header-failure-can-happen-you.html

Symptoms:
    1. Tapping or ticking sound, sometimes only when cold.
    2. Change in exhaust noise
    3. White powder collecting on engine bay. Note that this can also be caused by a failing muffler canister as it has the same basic white insulation material.
    4. Fuel smell at cold start

21. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    The telltale signs aren't too obvious. My car makes all kinds of noises upon start up; I was told this is normal. Also, the exhaust changes note as the throttle is pressed harder/faster (as all F430's do). No powder, but will certainly keep an eye out for that, as well as the fuel smell.

With all that said, I just received some service records from the dealership where I bought the car and it seems the Manifolds were both replaced last year when the car was 6 years old and had 4,760 miles on it. Looks like it was covered under warranty in VA.

22. vlagana

vlagana Rookie

Apr 12, 2013
    close to Laguna Seca
    It's funny I had had that very same conversation with the guys at Ferrari of sv. They also told me 7years. I did not argue but in the back of my mind knew that ferrari of sf had a great reputation regarding this matter. Glad you have the issue resolved.

I get mine in Friday!

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Mine was done at the fine folks in La Jolla.

I did not notice any symptoms that they were leaking and am very thankful they found the issue during the annual service.

24. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Does anyone know if the headers are replaced does the 8 years start over? Mine were replaced I'm 4/2012. It doesn't say if they were replaced with mk2 headers..

25. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It does not. The 8 year emission warranty is with the car.