Maseratis in racing after 1967 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Maseratis in racing after 1967

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Merak1974, Sep 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That car has to be a p!ss take surely. Looks like a 13 year old child has played with some cardboard and sticky tape ...
    Pete

2. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    #77 qp400i, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    That is a truly great shot!!!

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    A funny photo!
    would like to see how you catch up VW GTI in corners, really...:)

5. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    There's only a few tight corners on Zandvoort and the qpIII is a great drifter. A guy once asked my wife... who is driving that limo ahead of the hatchbacks. I must say I take it more easy after having restored the drive train of the car.

6. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The 2013 Superstars GTSprint series started this weekend with the Monza round:Superstars® - GTSprint International Series. The Maserati GT3 driven by Pigoli and Dromedari came in third in today's race (there are two races per weekend in this series), after great driving and a hard battle with various 458s, 997s and R8s.

Today's race was won by the Del Castello and Necchi on a Corvette Z06.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #82 4th_gear, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    footage of the 3200GT racer in a recent race at Zandvoort

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJQ4_-VzU4]DNRT Maserati supersport Race 2 Zandvoort 4-5-2013 - YouTube[/ame]

9. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
  10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The guy in the white 300ZX? is a bit better driver.
    The 3200 seems to not have much grunt in the turns. Turbo ...
    So in close traffic it's harder to maintain a fast pace. Out of traffic it's a much faster car.

Those Porsche's just fly by don't they. Weight grip and grunt make a huge difference.

Looks like everyone had some fun!

But why did it cut off so abruptly?

11. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Great vid! Nice track :)

12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Rosette and Greco drove their Gran Turismo to two podium places (2nd and 3rd) in the GT4 category this weekend in the Curitiba round of the Brazilian GT Championship. Portal GT: Home

13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Another podium (3rd place) for Rosette and Greco in yesterday's Sao Paolo round of the Brazilian GT Championship.

Has not been a great season for them so far in their GranTurismo GT4, even tough they have been on the podium a few times.

14. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Couldn't resist sharing this video - recently posted at Enrico's Maserati pages - of a Ghibli II making fantastic music racing up the hill :) ... and it was driven to a third place in the event: The Trofeo Vallecamonica FIA Hill Climb Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2UWEkfiKJA

Enjoy!

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember seeing that car's engine compartment and wondering with the enormous changes made whether it would ever work. The turbos are up high instead of tucked low. For service that's a welcomed change! but there's also a lot of intake plumbing, loads more than the original cars. Lag?

I guess it does work well enough for a third here!

Someone spent a pile on that car!

It seems to drive the same as my GOC, point & shoot on the straights then watch your arse very carefully on the turns. He does hang the rear out on one turn and catches it nicely.

Thanks for posting it.

16. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

You had one once right?

I think I remeber you from the Ghibliopencup website, there were 6 of us right? :rolleyes:
    You had one of those as well via Sala?

These cars when they sell go for a lot more than the one local to me did which was about $70K a lot of years ago. I tried like hell, several of us did, to get that guy to bring it to the track so we could see it. I don't think it's ever been "track ready" though it looked pretty nice. His work was mostly cosmetic.

I've heard tell it's as fast as an F40 around the track except for top end?

But what did bother me when looking at it is that it appears that the driver safety is circa 1960s?

18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #94 Merak1974, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    While doing some search on the net about the F1 V12 engine that Maserati made in the 1960s (used in the Cooper-Maserati F1 racer), I stumbled upon the mentioning of Cegga-Maserati, various racers constructed by the Swiss brothers Gachnang (http://swisscarregister.ch/site/fahrzeuge/cegga.html).

After making a F1 car using a Maserati 4-cylinder engine in the early 1960s (the car was entered in a couple of events in 1962, but never qualified for a F1 race), they went on to make seemingly quite successful hill climb racers that used the Maserati V12 engine. Races in 1968 and 1969 resulted in various podiums places, including at least one win. At least one of the cars still exist. Here are some recent photos:
    232. Cegga Maserati 3000 [1968]
    https://barchetta.mediacenter.pro/?i=1360618

Very serious looking thing!

Does anyone know more about the Cegga-Maserati racers?

20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #95 Merak1974, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    A very nice debut in the Dubai 24 Hours for the Boutsen Ginion Racing Team Gran Turismo. Came third in class (48th overall of 89 classified in the race).

Well done!

21. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
    Car had gearbox issues in the night session that saw it loose serious laps
    Managed to return & post a respectable results

22. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    This might be a snobby interpretation, but if I may playi the part of what the courts call a "strict constructionist" in my judicial interpretations, can you really call it a "LeMans racer" if in fact it was not tested at LeMans
    or if it was tested but not allowed in the race due to homologation problems? I gather the Gruppe 4 Boras are in that category.

Similarly one of the two Bora Group 4 cars was entered in a major rally "in period" (which I define as "in the same period the cars were being made" but didn't make the race because of a car accident on the road before the race so you can't count it as a race car that ran that event if it didn't make the event, can you?

In other words, when either of those Gruppe 4 Boars such as AM--117-3001) ever comes up for auction, can the auction company say "LeMans car" or link it to that rally in its description?

Also in a similar vein, what if the car is run decades later in vintage racing? True, they may have been built as factory race cars "in period," but just racing in vintage racing such as at Monterey doesn't score as high with me in establishing race car credentials, not near as much as if one car was raced back "in period" when the racing was metal-to-metal (I almost resisted adding mano-a-mano) racing "for keeps" you might say compared to some vintage races where where you are banned for a year if your car touches another (unless you were Phil Hill).

Finally did either of the two factory prepared Bora Gruppe 4 cars ever sell and was the amount published and the year it was sold?

I think these could be million dollar plus cars but would like to hear opinions on what makes a race car a race car if it never made the race. Rather like film stars who say "I was in such and such movie" but guess what, all their scenes ended up on the cutting room floor...

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Harold Wester (Maserati's CEO) on Maserati racing:

"....Motorsport activities?
    No. The only thing of that type we're doing now is the Maserati Trofeo racing series for our customers, but it doesn't have any marketing effect. The only motorsports with a global impact are Formula 1 and four or five of the 24-hour races. The rest may be interesting for enthusiasts, but it doesn't really have any benefit for the business."

Read more: An Interview With Maserati/Alfa Romeo CEO Harald Wester

I'm not convinced that he is right about the lack of benefit for the business. Maserati is now the only prestige marque with some pretension of sportiness that is not actively engaged in GT racing (i.e. beyond their one-make series), which I think will hurt the marque's reputation in the longer term.

It will be rather disappointing if Maserati doesn't come up with an Alfieri-based GT racer soon after the production version is ready.

24. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I had to go back to Marc Sonnery's excellent book on the Citroën years to freshen up my recollection :)...

Well, I think you have a very good point. The Group 4 Boras, unfortunately - however great their promise was at the time, and whatever excellence they have displayed since against their targeted opposition - they never really saw racing action when new.

Sad, but true...

25. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I fully agree with Harald Wester's statement, I also see definitely no business benefit regarding a racing engagement next to F1 or 24-hour races. I even doubt that a F1 engagement will bring a real business advantages. Pls tell me, who wants to be beat by a beverage can producer?? ;)
    I dare to say such a GT racing engagement is totally unnecessary for Maserati's marque reputation.

How does it help me if I can see in television that a Ferrari 458 runs behind the competition just because once again a regulation has been changed?

In a few weeks I will visit a multi-day race tracks driver training at Maserati. I appreciate much more such offers with direct benefits for me to get the conviction that Maserati is a sporty brand.

Visit Maseratis world: https://www.youtube.com/user/maserati/maseratiworld