Fitness Goals for 2013? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Fitness Goals for 2013?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 575Mike, Dec 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    1. Lose 50 lbs of relationship weight
    2. Just started Rock climbing at our local gym. Would like to be able to climb a 5.10 and v5 by end of the year.

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Good job! Yep, I've stuck with my New Year's resolution so far of working out and eating healthy. I typically only eat fruits, veggies, oatmeal, protein powder, fish, chicken and a little steak here and there..and drink water and a little tea. I cook with olive oil and put a little flax seed oil in my oatmeal and strawberry breakfast shake. Once in a blue moon, I will cheat and have pasta or some other bad stuff that I like but I 've really stuck to eating healthy. I have dropped about 18 pounds since Jan 1 and have put on a lot of muscle. Loose fitting clothes is a great feeling!

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Good Friday gave me the day off work so I capitlized by running 11km. It was cut short because of family plans but still felt great. I would have been going for a 15km run if time permitted.

It's been a real good week for me and I look forward to another good next week followed by a hot week in Cali!

4. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Thanks! Hard work it is, but I appreciate the encouragement!!

Isn't it though? That's awesome!! Good for you!!

I just stepped on the scale...really didn't want to but was told I should weigh once a week at minimum. I am down 36LBS!!!! I had dinner with my daughter...sushi...one order please. She said I look amazing. Face is thinner and my shirt wasn't riding up on me at all. I was able to fit into a booth in the restaurant with room to spare. I can bend over to tie my shoes without contorting myself.

These might sound insignificant, but to a guy like me who has been fairly miserable for several years, it's nothing short of amazing.

I've increased my time on the treadmill to an hour a day. 3 miles at 3MPH. My g/f gave me some supplements she takes...probiotics and magnesium.

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Got a real good workout today with two stints at the gym.

Morning routine saw me do a full back and shoulder workout. The evening one I was able to complete Chest and core with a solid 1 hour of cardio after the weights.

Tomorrow the plan is to do arms and cardio with the possibility of core in the evening.

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Wow Mike great job!! 36LBS very impressive! The hour of cardio per day is awesome. Make sure that you are eating right.. a lot of foods that claim to be "healthy" just aren't. Whole grain bread is a great example. Its garbage with processed sugar in it. Like I said, I would stick to fruits, veggies and protein. If you can't grow it or kill it, don't eat it.

7. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    That's about all I eat. It's hard when you have an 18yo HS football player in the house who is ripped and loads up on carbs. He can get away with it. I notice also that my taste is changing in that I can taste foods differently. It doesn't have to be THAT sweet or THAT salty to taste good.

Tonight I'll make some meatballs with lean beef, a little onion and carrot, bake them, then top them with Rao's Marinara sauce (no sugar in it and delicious!). I'll never get a table at Rao's in NYC, so this is as close as I'll get!

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #83 PureEuroM3, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Lunch today was a big tub of field greens. I no longer eat iceberg lettuce because it has zero nutrients. A little organic Balsamic Vinegar dressing. The difference? The bottom of the bowl wasn't swimming in leftover dressing. barely visible. I'm drinking a protein shake for breakfast and dinner. This weekend, my g/f took me on a hike...two miles at a local state park...I only stopped once or twice for breath and was able to keep up most of the time. Light picnic lunch of grilled chicken, green beans and celery, some fresh fruit and sparkling water. 6 weeks ago, I couldn't have done 200 yards on a flat surface. And last night, sore as I was, I still did two miles on the treadmill.

Sheesh...I need new pants. :)

10. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Finished my first Tri of the year yesterday..failed in my goal of doing the 5k under 30,improved last years time a lot but no ring. Water temp in the swim was brutal,56...took your breath away,made it hard..may have affected my bike and run time,but I dunno and am just pointing blamey fingers. But I finished!
    This year,somewhere,I'd like to do a 10k under 60...that'd be a pr.
    Gonna do an Oly length Tri in a month..know the 10k will be 60+,and that's ok...just want to finish. I'm 66,so a finish is a win.
    Cheers,
    RE

11. Dave1442397

Dave1442397 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. Some great goals and achievements here, for sure!

I'm 47, 5'7" 155, shooting for 138lbs this summer.

I take a multivitamin, garlic, omega-3, and a few others I can't remember offhand. I've cut back on the junk food a lot, and cut out the Diet Coke (I used to drink 6-8 cans a day).

I was never an athlete, but I really piled on the weight after I got married. I hit 199 on the scale back in 2001 and decided enough was enough.

I joined a gym and gradually dropped to around 170, where I hovered for years.

Two years ago I was really tired of exercising indoors at the gym all the time (apart from walking the dog) so I went out and bought a bike - Cannondale CAAD 10-4, if anyone cares :)

I was down to 149 at the end of last season, but put on a few pounds over the winter, although I still cycled a lot.

I'm now out doing group rides with the local cycling clubs, typically 40-60 miles at a 20+ mph average pace. I found myself hitting 30mph uphill last night...great endorphin rush!

Like many cyclists, I use Strava to compare stats with my peers, and it makes for some good, friendly competition.

When I'm not on the bike, I still go to the gym and do 30 mins at level 20 (max) on the Stairmaster (the one that looks like an escalator) followed by 30 mins on a Marpo Kinetics rope machine for additional cardio and upper body strength.

I have a set of Bowflex dumbbells and a bench at home, but I haven't been using them much lately.

12. apvkt123

apvkt123 Rookie

Apr 19, 2013
    Hi everybody,
    I want six pack and what are the tips to be followed regularly to form a six pack?? Share the diets and exercises to be followed regularly. Waiting for the reply.

13. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    So I am staring to be able to do 5.8s first try. pretty consistantly.

I am starting to realize though at 5.8-5.9, strength is only a small part. I need to take some technique classes

14. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    5 month update:

I have been on my new years diet for about 5 months. I have 4 weeks until my yearly birthday Las Vegas pool party trip. I am changing my diet for the final 4 weeks to a cutting diet.

Let me define cutting: Calories consumed daily < BMR+Exercise : At least 500 cal less daily. I have had a few 1000 and 750 cal days in the last week.

This should let me drop 4x pounds of fat by LV and take me close to 5% Body Fat.

CURRENT: 4/28/2013
    General Stats: 43yrs, 151 lbs, 6'0", 7.6% BF
    BMR: 1640 kcal
    Average daily exercise 400-600cal (Strength Training, Cardio, Sex)

Last reading reported in Jan 13: 158 lbs, ~9-10% BF

New Target: 146 lbs, 5% BF (still with zero injuries)

I have changed my diet to:
    15% Carbs
    30% Fat
    55% Protein (Mostly Whey and Meat, with most meat being grilled chicken)

With my new CUT diet, I have lost 3 pounds in the first week, maybe a bit strict. But the bathing suit hides nothing ;) I will post LV pool pics post trip.

Pants down from 32/32 to 30/32 with the 30 not being tight at all! Had to buy all new jeans.

I have been using myfitnesspro app and website to track exercise and diet. Not bad. All these apps have flaws, but most of my friends use this one, so I did as well.

Example daily diet: (sorry so hard to read, would take too long to reformat it.)
    ============================
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Trent's latte - Latte, 1 cup 60 8 1 5 0 6
    Trent's omelette - Trent's ham and cheese omelet, 1 omelette 128 3 4 13 0 2
    Espresso Mochiato - One shot of espresso Mochiato, 1 shot 6 2 0 0 0 0

Lunch
    =====
    Panera Bread - Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad - No Croutons, 11.25 oz 350 8 22 31 2 1
    Protein shake with 4 oz Almond Milk - Protein shake 4oz Almond Milk, 1 serving 145 0 6 31 0 0

Afternoon Snacks
    =====
    Breakstone Cottage Cheese Fat Free - Cottage Cheese fat free 1/2 cup, 1/2 cup 80 8 0 11 0 6

Dinner
    =====
    Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad - Spring Greens Mix W/ Grilled Chicken, 4 oz 230 2 9 30 4 0
    **My normal dinner would be closer to 400-450 cal with 40 grams protein minimum.

Midnight Snack
    =====
    Publix 1% Milk - Publix 1% milk, 1 cup 110 13 3 9 0 12
    Detour caramel peanut powerbar small - Detour 15g protein 170 cal powerbar NET CARB, 1 bar 117 3 5 15 2 3

Totals 1,226 47 50 145 8 30
    Your Daily Goal 1,990 75 66 274 22 39
    Remaining 764 28 16 129 14 9
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar

15. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I think you need to change your trajectory. What's the goal? Even bodybuilders only look extremely lean for a couple weeks of the year and that has a purpose, to show shape and size of muscle. It is not healthy or cool to look like a pow year round. I suggest you aim up for 160 with some muscle and then use your mental energy and discipline towards an activity like tennis, golf, archery, karate whatever...........

16. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    If this comment was directed towards me;

I do have a trajectory, its clearly outlined. To look as good as possible for the pool scene in Las Vegas on my 44th BDay in a few weeks, namely at the Hard Rock's Rehab pool party. Then I am back to my walking weight of 160 and 9-10% BF. But the pool will be full of people who are in their early 20s, work out, so I want to go the extra mile to drop my BF. I have plenty of muscle mass (without being "big"), and have never been overweight in the least.

My target is to have the body of Brad Pitt in Fight Club, just minus Marla Singer.

Just for the record I try and do this every year or two because it changes things up. I have been going to the gym since I was 16. I am slap board of it. This makes me work towards something, and these last 5 months have been fun but most importantly; "Interesting".

17. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Well it seems like you have a plan, I would have thought an expensive watch might be a better spoon lure for the lohan wannabe's in a pool filled with young roid-boys. But it's not my scene, good luck.

18. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Very impressive Trent! As for me, I started at a...gasp...52 waist. 2 months into my new eating habits and exercise, I'm down to a 44 comfortably and by the end of the month, I should be in a 42. I don't weigh myself daily, but at last weigh in I was down 48lbs. Now, 200lbs doesn't seem like such an impossibilty after all.

My g/f and I attended a function where I had some slacks and a sportcoat tailored for the event. That was on a Monday. By Saturday when I picked them up, they slacks were already loose. Now I can't wear them anymore because they fall.

It's amazing how good you feel after you cut out all the crap in your diet and start treating your body right with exercise and supplements. I'm at 4 miles a day on the treadmill (this is huge for me) and 45 mins of Bowflex. I can't tell you how amazing it is to be able to do all the little things you couldn't do for so long.

Onward and upward!

19. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Mr Chef,

Congratulations! Your losses (aka Gains) are tremendous and respected. I probably sound silly losing or gaining 10 pounds. I am sort of at the floor for a 6' muscular frame. You keep it up and post updates.

It sounds like you have a nice mix of strength training and cardio along with a good diet. Its really not hard technically but 67% of americans just dont get it. I am glad you are on the right track.

Switching from Boflex to a Gym, starting with 2-4 weeks of personal training and consulting a Dr first will be your next step. The Gym has many advantages other than a wider variety of exercises.

Shouldn't it be "Onward and downward"?

20. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Not at all Trent. I've seen your pics and unfortunately, I'm probably past having a body like yours, but I'm going to come as close as I can within reason. But you should feel very proud about being able to sculpt yourself as you do.

I'm extremely fortunate to have a girlfriend who is a nutritionist and also has a degree in food science and an incredible cook as well. She keeps me on a really good path and is teaching me about making good food choices. Right now, we're going hiking locally every weekend and it's our plan to take some backpacking trips over the summer when I can travel a few miles on foot without needing Careflight. Makes you wonder what she saw in me in the first place, no? LOL

I'm also taking supplements such as probiotics, vitamins, L-arginine, fish oil, etc.

I used to be a member of a gym. I just prefer being at home to do my workouts. My son plays high school football so we're looking to get some freeweights to augment the Bowflex. I just want to increase my strength and endurance to the next level.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Congrats to everyone who is trying to lose weight!

I'm no expert but if it helps I went Paleo for a month and couldn't keep the weight from falling off. I. Originally did it to clean up my diet and wanted to bulk up but in the end I went down to 160 pounds from 173 and lowered my body fat to 9%.

This was done eating like a horse. Granted I wasn't eating junk but I love meat so it worked for me. No carbs, no sugar, no diary, no legumes. Just lots and lots of meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, bacon, and healthy fats. I was working out five days a week. I want to pack on more muscle but I focus too much on HIT cardio so maybe that's why I couldn't bulk up? I got around 180 grams of protein a day.

Don't know why but it worked for me. Thought I might pass it along.

22. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #97 Trent, May 6, 2013
    3 weeks till LV pool side UPDATE:

I have been on a very strict diet, more and more as the clock unwinds, but not starving myself and have only been "hungry" like 3 times. I have had to move to 8 meals per day minimum to achieve this. Also the more meals the more times you force your stomach into active mode which burns calories. In Dr terms, eating often raises your metabolism. (I am NOT a Dr. in any way)

I have reached 149.6 pounds (6', 43yrs old, for the next few weeks at least) and a BF of around 7.0%. It has become harder and harder to lose weight at the lower BF/Weight limits.

My skin has started to become noticeably thin, but looks good, I think... Its interesting the difference a few pounds can make at low BF percentages.

I made this fake calvin klein AD pic for my lovely lady, if it offends people I am really sorry. Most people on this site are men and I am 99% positive men generally dont want to look at other half naked men. But its really no worse than a speedo or whatever. I used photoshop but did not alter my image other than the obvious color changes and a little of the background. I got this idea because I ordered new underwear and my lovely said that I had the same body as the underwear model on the box. So I decided to make her a present. She loved it, even though her friends dont believe its me ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    #98 Iced Coffee, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Pretty f'n impressive if you asked me. I'd love to give my girl something like that of me, but at 52 it might be a pipe dream LOL

Trent: What in your opinion is the minimum amount of calories you should be eating per day (protein, fruits and veggies) for rapid weight loss? And how would a protein smoothie figure into this? I use Raw Meal Beyond Organic Meal Replacement Formula at least once a day.

24. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    You are NEVER too old! A guy at my gym who at 58 looked a few steps from death by heart disease induced obesity; is now ripped and a girl magnet at 62. Yes 3 years. You would not recognize him. He has not stopped smiling in the last year, must be tiring on the face muscles.

Rapid weight loss is not a great plan. Now consistent weight loss is fine.

1. Get myfitnesspal (app, or web site) its free.
    2. Log EVERYTHING, its a pain at first then becomes very easy.
    3. Log tomorrow, planning the next days calories before you get there is an imperative.
    4. Calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, I call it base metabolic rate) This is how many cal it takes to support your body if you sit on the couch all day. Mine is 1650 cal/day, but yours will be more as you weigh more. You can find many calculators online. Just get it close. my scale calculates mine for me ;)
    5. Set your target calorie intake BELOW your BMR by 200-500 calories. Set this in MyFitnessPal. I know you exercise and this your total calorie burn rate is BMR + Activities (workout, walking, yard work, etc). But for now lets just call your "Activities" calories gravy.
    6. Set your Carbs / Fat / Protein split to 20%carbs, 30%fat, 50%protein. Set this in MyFitnessPal. Note that some advanced settings are only available on the web site.
    7. Eat 8 meals a day, where meal includes anything over 50calories that will "activate" your stomach organ. This burns calories all by itself and prevents you from feeling hungry.

Every 3500 calories you burn but dont eat, you will lose 1 pound of fat. So 500 cal/day is 3500/week which is 1 pound / week. You cant really go much above a 500 cal cut unless your BMR is like 2200. Then maybe. For me at 1650, 500 below is barely life sustaining especially once you factor in my 350-600 cal burn doing activities / day.

Never go below 1200 cal intake / day without insulting a Dr.

Get your wife, friends, or internet friends to join you, become your myfitnesspal friends, share low carb recipes, etc. I have awesome low carb recipes that are simply delicious.

My myfitnesspal name is trentcarter71, feel free to hit me up.

Protein shakes? YES, just 1-2 / day and make sure its a "good" product. Take the serving size; i.e. 33grams, and then subtract the protein / serving, i.e. 30g, this remainder; i.e. 3g is the "filler". You want this to be <10%. I recommend the Publix sold Six Star Nutrition protein powder. Its $21 for 1.5 pounds, tastes fabulous, mixes with everything and has almost NO FILLER.

I recommend the Quest brand power bars with almost no sugar and lots of plant fiber. You can get them on Amazon or at your local GNC (Apple Pie, Cookie Dough, Vanilla Almond, Brownie, Banana) all great flavors. Put 2x / day on your snack list. They are listed at 160-200cal, but the net cal is more like 165 cal (removing the fiber from the cal count)

25. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #100 Trent, May 13, 2013
    10 days till LV Update:

New:
    148.8 pounds and a BF of around ~7.0%. Its getting harder and harder to drop weight and BF. I have been at 1200-1300 calories / day. That puts me losing 1.5 pounds of fat / week.

Down from 1 week ago:
    149.6 pounds (6', 43yrs old, for the next few weeks at least) and a BF of around 7.0%

This week
    Dropping to 1000 calories / day. May carb load (a little) for the final 5-6 days but still researching that.

Current split:
    Carb: 10%
    Fat: 30%
    Protein: 60%

Weekly averages are higher because I just tightened it up from 15% carbs.

*I really with there was a more accurate way of measuring my BF. I have been looking for a local water displacement service, but none so far. (Melbourne FL) in case anyone knows one. My scale seemed accurate at >9%, now it seems in the inaccurate range because its all over the place daily, where with higher BF it was close to the previous measurement daily.

**This pic is actually many days old already. My skin is getting scary thin. Will try and get a shot of it. My GF does NOT like the scary vein look but has been quite supportive, especially considering she is not invited to LV. Maybe a keeper.