Please tell me about Monza! | FerrariChat

Please tell me about Monza!

Discussion in 'F1' started by TifosiUSA, May 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    So, I think I'm going to finally make a trip to "Mecca" this year and go to the Italian Grand Prix..I want to hear the last of the screaming F1 cars. Have mapped out a flight + hotel and I should be able to get the trip done for $3k or so including flight, food, grandstand tickets, any memorabilia purchases, etc. Keep in mind I'm FAR from rich, so trying to do this on a budget.

Would fly in on Wednesday and get situated. From what I've seen, I'd probably just book a hotel+flight combo from Travelocity and stay close to downtown Milan then commute via train then bus to get to the track each day. Is this a viable option? From what I've read, they even have a direct line that takes you straight to the track on the actual race day.

Now, where to sit. I don't want to be on the main straight but have been looking at different sections at the exit of Ascari and at the end of the Parabolica on the inside. I think Ascari would be cool but you are a little further from the cars that I'd like. Parabolica would be nice because watching them attack that corner would be amazing and it also has a nice view of the pit entry and main straightaway.

As for things to do, I definitely want to go to the old banking for pictures and want to make it out onto the track for the celebration afterwards. Certainly want to get as close as possible to the podium. Do crowds start to gather in preparation before the end of the race at the points where you can access the track?

Any other ideas from people that have gone on where to stay, where to sit, what to EAT (very excited), what to do in Milan when in party mode rather than F1 mode, etc. Obviously I would like to hit up Maranello as well, will have to appropriate a day for that. Do you guys think if I hung around long enough on the track after the race I could sneak over to Parc Ferme and see the cars up close?

Any F-chatters going?

Sorry for the book, but I'm very excited, and any advice is greatly appreciated...

2. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Ascari is good, faster then it looks on tv, and if you get lucky with seat positioning it can look quite dramatic also. I would guess with the current tyre situation in 2013 it will also see a fair amount of passing.

If it's passing that you really want to see turn 1 is normally got the most. I sat here in 2006 and enjoined it. The big screens are close, and there was lots of action ( including Alonso's famous engine blow up to the delight of the tifosi). The only down side I would say was that the only way you see the cars working hard is on the brakes and then accelerating towards curva grande.

From turn 1 it was quite easy to get onto the track for the podium, and a brisk walk or jog gets you in view, although how close can't be promised.

I'm doubtful you will be able to get into the pit area next to cars after the race, although a view from the other side of the pit wall might be possible.

In 2006 on the Thursday before the race they had an open pit lane. I presume this is a monza tradition. We were able to get right up next to the cars (the Ferrari's, and most others) as the teams pushed them down to be weighted by the FIA, I presume this was all timed for the fans to get a close look, and by close I mean I was able to put my compact camera into schumi's car and take pictures off the steering wheel and pedal box.

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Andreas went last year - Tifosi12 - he'll provide a good recap...

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 moretti, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I haven't been since '89 but it was an occasion for me :)

I'd been to several other GPs that year and all the one's in Oz before but Monza really is an experience no tifosi should miss out on before waking up on the wrong side of the grass :)

I was sitting just before the Parabolica with some raving lunatics who built their own stand :eek: complete with full blown TV camera, other video equipment, lap charts and timers , and naturally "refreshments" for all the hard working tifosi :)

What to expect
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was at that same race! They were all cheering for Prost becuase he had just signed for Ferrari.

The morning of the race my buddy and I got into the paddock ( I had an expired credental from Montreal & we made him one like it with a copy machine) - had breakfast in the Marlboro hospitality tent - ( thanks to Ann Richards from Allsport ) and saw Senna with his uncle and brother Leo as well as couple of Journos... Dennis Jenkinson sat across from us and we talked about Von Trips accident.....

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Monza is pretty easy to get to - Garibaldi Station to Monza, catch the bus to the track. its a bit of a hike to walk. The Busses will be totally filled with people as will the train station - beware of pickpockets - backpacks etc.... otherwise its abreeze.

as for where to sit - I like the Lesmos, and or Ascari. Pit straight is a bit boring - they are moving pretty fast ... first chichane might be good on south side.

They block off the banking with a fence - pretty easy to climb... however recently I think security is a bit more tight.... To take pictures go on a Monday after the race - into the park, not the track. you can walk down from Monza Palace ...

There is no way unless you have an FIA credential that you will get to Parc Ferme.... Hot pits access is shut down when the flag drops, police and FIA folks... you can try, but not gonna happen... unless you know someone who can get you in.

the Paddock is sealed off by a large fence - with controlled access & turnstiles - mostly at the Helipad - there is car access but most of the teams / drivers etc.. chopper in and out and are shuttled in.

Its not a great place to see the cars up close... tons of people around and - TONS of souvineers and vendors.

Monza city is pretty cool as well - the Lombard Iron crown is in the cathedrial and the King's palace is on the same property - with a huge park ( thats where all the tree crap from the environmentalists comes from) Great little tratorias and cafe's ...

we may be at the same race this year - not sure. We're going to stay up by the lakes and chopper in if we go. ( it will be race only for us).

Milan has great night life... and it does not start till about 10 -11 Pm... race weekend down by the Doumo and Parco del citadel is where all the stuff happens... Hard to miss good food -stay away from touristy places ( with english menus ) and follow italians... they will lead you to good food.

DONT Drive to the TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maranello / Modena / Bologna are great for food and car stuff.... its all expensive. Planet hotel in Maranello is right across the street from the Factory.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    + 1million :D

Ferrari 1-2 (Schumie won) when I went :)

Getting to the track on race day from Milan was a joke, I would recommend getting a hotel near the track or leaving Milan at the crack of dawn.

8. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Schumi won then announced his retirement on the big screens. Sat at the first chicane with Polish Robert Kubica fans (his first podium), great view of Alonso flameout. Fantastic to be in the crowd with the Tifosi at the podium. I love the track at Montreal, but the security there is stifling. Not so at Monza. You can sit where you want during practice and qualifying, and you can walk around the track freely. They actually set up an air traffic control tower for the helicopters coming in, so many. It's a bucket list race. After the race go to Maranello! Can't lose.

Cheers!

9. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I went in 2000. I sat in the grandstands at turn 1. I thought the seats were great and it was my favorite GP I went to that year (Belgium, Italy, Japan). My main recomendation is to be sure and get assigned seating. At least at Spa, and I'm sure Monza is the same, the crowds were so great we couldn't find a decent place to sit. Even the Monza grandstand was holding 2x peope than actual seats by the time the race started.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's sad getting old isn't it ? :eek:

Senna's motor blew up coming in to the Parabolica and the crowd cheered .... they were all looking at their stopwatches before that and were very demoralised

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I was at Monza in '89 as well with a photo credential from Panorama magazine.

Senna blew up just beyond my position entering Parabolica in a great cloud of smoke
    and noise and Prost assumed the lead. None of the journalists or photographers were
    surprised as Senna was setting an insanely fast pace and, sure enough, the car let him down.

The Tifosi went nuts as Prost had just signed with Ferrari days before so in their minds,
    it was a win for Ferrari especially when Prost dropped Ron Dennis' constructor's trophy
    to the crowd below the podium.

Monza was a madhouse and as the guys have said, easy to get to. My problem was
    getting home to Firenze as the glut of exiting fans clogged the train station and I missed
    the first two trains and only caught the last train out so it made for a long day.

None the less, it's unforgettable. Why stay in one position? If you have general admission
    tickets, move around and see the whole track then be close to the pit lane when the
    race ends as they open up the track to spectators which creates those great pictures
    during the podium ceremonies.

BHW

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll be glad to post a few ideas once I'm back from my road trip.

13. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    #13 Vinny Bourne, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    another video :) by Peter Windsor, a must for anyone going to the race, I enjoyed watching this a lot;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsPTtCuFclk]Monza Monday 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9uO4V_-GxU[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7_xO8of-fw[/ame]

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! Some good insights and exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I think I'll be getting a grandstand ticket with a numbered seat because I hear the GA tickets can be crappy since so many fans camp at the track then take all the good seats before you can get there. Finding where to sit is going to be a hard decision.

15. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Don't waste your time with a GA ticket. You'll spend all this time and money going and then have a less than ideal time at the race. I'd rather watch the cars from the stands than look at the backs of a bunch of Italians who got to the fence hours before you did. That was my experience at Spa... we couldn't find anywhere good to sit, it was cold, rainy and behind EVERY tree was a drunk German guy relieving himself. Monza was warm, warm, warm, dry, dry, dry with a good view of the track. Best race I've been to. Get the grandstand ticket and make sure you have a view of one of the video boards.

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    That's pretty much what I've heard. Thank you again for the advice.

I think I'm going to order my tickets from this website:

http://www.italy-grand-prix.com/2724-italy/

..and sit at (16) Ascari or (23a) Parabolica Interna A. The parabolica seats are much cheaper (about half as much) and it seems like the views would be sweet considering the stands dont even look very big and you would get to see the cars rocket out of the parabolica and then also slow down for the pits.

Anyone have experience with this site or suggestions for tickets? Thanks

17. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Although there may be personal preferences on where to sit, the big thing in Monza is the feel. Like Monaco, the atmosphere, the people, the food, the sound, just BEING there is all you could ever ask for. GO! Have fun! You will not regret a single moment. Milan at night is amazing. If you can, head down to Bologna for a few days. Very chill college town, 1000 year old buildings (one road we walked on was built in 400 AD) and amazing food. Maybe the world's center for food.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    :D

I've been wanting to take a trip to Europe since I was a little kid, so I'm going to be a like a kid in a candy store. Wanted to make sure I did it while I was still in my 20s. F1 is just the icing on the cake.

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I need to go ahead and book the trip. Closing my retail business for two weeks is a mental struggle.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Planning the,'Car Guy Tour', as a possible. They start at Lake Como do Turin for 3 days. The rest is based in Milan. $6,600. First class air is $3,000 from lexington. The Ferrari F 1 club is $7,500. The real $$$ r the lunch and dinner cost

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  22. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I did the Ferrari f1 club 2 years ago, had a great time buy couldn't imagine going to that race with a GA ticket

23. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Nice pictures!

Gr. Martin

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, here are my recommendations having been twice to the Monza GP:

- Stay in Milan and take the train to Monza where special shuttle buses take you directly to the track
    - Stay in a hotel near the Milan train station. Plenty of nice places, make sure you pick one that offers A/C (even if it is only European A/C, it is still better than none).
    - Plenty of things to do in Milan and places to eat. Should be easy to spend the time, but if you have some extra time, take the train to Turin and visit the Automobile museum, which is superb and has a lot of F1 Ferraris on loan/display from Maranello.
    - Select a seat in a special turn in Monza, the grandstands opposite the pits are boring seats. Instead choose one of the chicanes like Piscine (after s/f) or Ascari.
    - At Monza you can actually buy tickets for seats of an individual day. I bought a different ticket for Saturday to have a different view and it just cost me $100. What a deal!
    - Check out the old track. The banked turns are awesome and the "ruins" are everywhere.
    - There are food/drink and restrooms (portalets) everywhere, no worries.
    - Check out the action on the "infield". In Monza there is more stuff on display than on many other tracks. Last year Pirelli had a RB, a Ferrari and a Lotus to check out up close. Definitely worth the wait (for all the morons who have to pose with the cars). Oh, and Mrs Pirelli is also worth a glance.
    - Don't overlook Viszla's statue. ;)

That said, I'm a strong believer that doing a Transatlantic flight (and all the cost and pain that comes with it) just for a GP is a waste of time and resources. So I recommend you make the GP part of a bigger trip, which should also lead you to Maranello and Modena (Lambo, Maserati, Stanguellini).

25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thanks for all the advice!

That is the plan!