HELP, just bought a 2002 360 spider and it fail the emission failed! | FerrariChat

HELP, just bought a 2002 360 spider and it fail the emission failed!

Discussion in '360/430' started by implantpower, May 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. implantpower

implantpower Rookie

May 4, 2013
    Hi everyone! i just purchased a 2002 360 spider. This has been a dream car of mine since i could remember. it was very disappointing to fail emission! the ferrari tech told me its due to my after market exhaust by Fabspeed. I did some research and found that it maybe due to the catalytic converter or test pipes. I have two question:
    1- do i have to change the entire exhaust system or just replace parts, ie, the catalytic converters.
    2- I was looking into a capristo exhaust, what are all the parts i need to buy, or does they come complete system where the tech just install it?

Thankyou everyone!

2. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    If u have test pipes you'll need cats to pass emissions. I have some for sale in the for sale section that are oem with only 5k miles and they're cheap. PM me if interested

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    what state are you in. depending on how tough they are normally a small bribe will get you the sticker.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you are in CA and bought the car in CA, seller is responsible for smog!
    Jes

5. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    maybe shoot a picture of the cats and headers so we can tell what has been done?

any other details on why/how it failed? visual, sniffer, etc?

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    did it only fail visually?what state are you in?do you have a ck engine light on,more info

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Did you get the car "hot" first? I mean drive the heck out of it for about 1/2 hour. The 2000 and up pass pretty easily. I even get my 1999 360 with tubi to pass in CA

8. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Find out if your exhaust has catalytic converters or if they were removed. If they are there, then you just might need to run your engine up to full operating temp before taking the test. Cats work best when hot.

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had fabspeed headers and high-flow cats and was able to pass emissions. Do you have a local indy guy -or even the dealer - to check for codes before you get it inspected (CEL on -common with Fabspeed stuff). Then, as has been said, warm it up and put it though a couple drive cycles.

10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    when i had my 01 360 passes with flying colors with upgraded exhaust with hi flow cats on it too.and no ck eng lights on

11. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    mine did this too, the dealer had me run it through "readiness' (where you drive it at different speeds for different times) to "reset" the computer or something. Went back for inspection and it passed fine!

12. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When they sit around at a dealership for months waiting to be sold, the F-techs say that you need to drive them for some time as stated by the dealer. This gets the computer back into "happy mode." Also, as stated by the others, make sure it is hot when you bring it in for the test...the cats need to be heated up to perform at their highest level. As long as you do have cats on your car (and not test pipes), drive it as stated by the dealer and get the cats heated up, you should have no problem.

13. implantpower

implantpower Rookie

May 4, 2013
    I am in fairfax, virginia. I am having a local ferrari dealer check the code and for cats. than i will see whats going on. but my feeling is like most of what everyone is saying is to driving it a few time to get the cats "hot". Thanks again and i will followup if the engine light is off.

14. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    i am buying a 360 euro spec from California with caprisco exhaust,the car is registered in CA, should i be worried about the emission?
    i would need to pay sales tax before i do the emission and if i fail?
    please any suggestion? i live in CT.
    thanks

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    You can look up its past CA smog history to see how it has fared in the past with passing CA smog: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx
    Smog test/history should also appear on the car fax.

16. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
  17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes