Bra/No bra? | FerrariChat

Bra/No bra?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lew L, May 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Any thoughts on going bra-less? I ordered my car without the factory clear bra with the thought that I could have one installed by a good detailer after any paint correction (if needed). Does the bra in any way diminish the luster and depth of the finish? Does the difference between covered surface and uncovered surface differ over time?

I have never used a clear bra and am wondering if there are any drawbacks.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was never big on clear bras until my Scud came with it....now I think it's a must on a car like this....a good install and you'll hardly notice it....

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have it done to six of my cars (full hood and fenders) with 3M Venturashield and it is virtually undetectable. Make sure you use an expert installer. Would definitely recommend getting the entire front end done, rocker panels, mirrors and behind rear wheels. If you don't do it, the first time a rock chips your hood you'll had wish you had.

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I was opposed to it until I got chips on my other cars. Now a huge fan of it. With the newer technology, it is virtually invisible with most colors. As mentioned, make sure you screen the installer and get best one in your area. I prefer the installer doing the work at my garage, rather then a dealership.

Also, some use one large sheet of film and cut to size. That is OK, but you don't want them cutting the clear film for sizing while it is adhering to the paint. It is possible their sharp razor can go through the film an scar the paint.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Would not be without it. We have on all our cars.

Do the full hood so no line there. And you can get chips on the upper hood. Don't ask me how I know.

6. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    And the paint with the bra looks just the same as the rest of the car after a few years?

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes. My 360 had a bra since new in 2002. When I traded in 2013 no difference in paint that I could see and I am pretty picky.

8. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    All my F-cars had one. Would not drive without it.
    Highly recommend getting it done by a professional installer.

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    my used 430 spider had no bra
    i never drove on the freeway and after 8 years the vehicle had virtually no stone chips.

on the other hand, i just had one installed on my new 458 spider.
    i had the entire hood covered so i would not be annoyed by the demarcation line of a partially covered hood.
    i think the decision is a personal one, as it really depends on how and where you will drive the car.
    it is cheaper to repaint a hood than to apply the clear bra!

10. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's the first thing I get after taking delivery. I won't drive out of town without it.

Viperjoe likes this.
  11. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    If you're going to drive it....especially with other Fcars in a group....the clear bra is a must as is windshield (I have Clearplex) protection. You get hit with tons of small stones.

12. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I was driving a Porsche GT3 RS following a friend who was driving a Ford GT. The GT has a giant rear diffuser that provides amazing high speed stability. It also literally sucks stones off the road and throws them into the air. At about 130mph he ran over a patch of sand and the GT/Dyson-mobile shot a huge cloud of debris high into the air. At the distance I was following and speed we were going, my entry into the cloud as it re-entered the earths atmosphere was perfectly timed. The sound of 400,000 tiny stones slamming into the lusty German uber-machine made me sick to my stomach.

Luckily the car had clear bra and the paint was not damaged. The windshield got pelted pretty good and the fins on the small radiators in the front bumper got beat up pretty badly but nothing an afternoon with a small pair of pliers couldn't fix.

The clear bra did an amazing job. There is a small change in the quality of the paint but it is minimal and if you are obsessive about your cars, the peace of mind, and lack of paint chips, will far out weigh the tiny loss of visual paint quality.

13. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Exactly and the more you drive, lke that, the more stones that will hit the windshoeld and car. In my mind, you really have to consider clear bra protection.

14. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Congrats on the purchase. Focus on finding a quality installer. Experience really is the key and in the past few years, there has been a high turnover with paint protection film installer. This is a craft that takes many years to become proficient and many more years from proficiency to mastering this art. There are many companies claiming years upon years of experience. Take a look at the work in person if possible and seek out references for your area. Good luck!

15. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    i would never think of driving my 458 without clearbra protection, i have my whole car wrapped and the front windshield and back glass engine cover protected too

if u live in the los angeles (so. california, USA) area give Bain Mendoza from Doza Designs a call at 310 613 3978 or email @ [email protected], he's a seasoned artisan, would never entrust anyone else to my car

16. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    +1 on Bain...he did mine and is a perfectionist.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Two Cali's and an FF, none with clear bra and it will stay that way. My first stone chip in my first Cali was very close to the windshied on the hood ... way above where any stone protection I have seen would cover. Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems makes a great product to fill the few chips I have had in over 60,000 miles between these three cars of daily driving. I have not seen a clear bra that looked as good as naked paint ... like Jennifer Aniston, I will take them with no bra thank you. :D

Rick

18. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    The hood can be covered with clear bra as can the windshield (Clear Plex). It's a matter of what type of driving you do. If you drive in a line with other Fcars your car will be struck with many (hundreds) of small and medium sized stones and without protection, the front end will be peppered with chips. There's a FCA southwest member that had a red 430 spider without one and the front end was full of chips. He owns a body shop and has the front end repainted frequently as a solution but most of us wouldn't want to spend that amount of money.

19. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Premier did the clear bra on my 458. You CANNOT tell that there is a film on it. You can be 2 inches away from the surface/edge and still cannot tell. That is how good they are.

I originally resisted clear bra because I like to touch the paint/metal surface and keep the car original. But I was going on a lot of group drives and the front end was getting two to three rock chips per drive so I reluctantly did it.

Best decision I made. Paint protection and worry free driving. Went on a drive last weekend, heard some debris hit my front end/hood, did not bother me one bit, didn't even think about it. I told my wife that is what the film is for.

Highly recommend Premier.

There are other companies who charge less but you get what you pay for.

20. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Is there a paint protection film expert in the SF bay area.

21. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Another WOW. Last post in this thread was from 2013!!! Dug deep in that search history. :):)

LVP488 likes this.
  22. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Very too late. Researching new a bra for my 360. Just removed mine. Any updates?

23. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    May want to post in the 360 sub forum and start a new topic. Just a suggestion.

24. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Good suggestion.

25. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    That and maybe the NorCal section. I’m sure you will get some good recommendations. Good luck!