Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, May 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Could they do it last season?

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They had nothing to say on the matter prior as it hadn't happened, surely?

And again, it's not like they all suffered the same fate. I'm pretty sure we've seen just 3 so far - Not at all bad when you're pushing the envelope as they were asked to do.

Oops! Can't even get my title right!.... What chance have I got? :)

The list is getting longer though. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The ongoing issues have been embarrassing. A drastic failure resulting in injuries or deaths would be another magnitude of trouble for Pirelli. The type of thing you react to ASAP. Before the fodder by products hit the HVAC.

4. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    "We cannot test with the current cars, and all we have access to is a 2010 Renault that laps four or five seconds slower than the current F1 cars do on a Sunday.

Seems like the tire technology isnt keeping up with the car technology.
    You have to be impressed by the performance they continue to get out of these cars.
    Next year will be a whole new ball game with the new engines

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm almost reading this as if you don't think the teams knew that the tires would be in the spec they are now last year. We where told, weren't we? Even in the last race they where given tires to 2013 spec to test...

It's the age old rule in F1, design the car to the rules/facts that are given for the season and you will win.

The last thing about Enzo...of course he would've. If his cars weren't performing he'd be the first one to jump up and down.

100% agree ian.Change for next season, yes. not all of a sudden. This season will become a farce if the tire performance changes, and that's a shame for whoever will win it.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Man alive it's like Mosley is back creating havoc with all this tyre nonsense, at least it keeps the boards lit up I suppose.

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

The tires they tested late 2012 were a prototype tire not even close to fully representantive of the 2013 spec tire as I understand it. And testing 2013 tires on a 2012 spec car is an almost pointless exercize

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Why is the 2010 Renault 4-5 seconds a lap slower? Their tires must be damn slow because that car should be faster than today's cars.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It'll be nice seeing the Rev back on the podium.....;)

10. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    This is what is going to piss me off about the whole thing. Bernie and the idiots at F1 I can understand wanting to keep MB happy as they need to keep some big manufacturers in the sport IMO. I don't totally understand why they think it's so important to have RB? Are they that popular and have that big of a fan base that they are scared to make them earn anything? It's really sad that inovation and being creative is no longer a driving force.

I'm also curious, some have said they were not happy with 4 pit stops. Why does this change your view of the race in any way? What makes 2-3 the magic number? I'd rather see 12 pits and blazing lap times then 2-3 stops where tires are of utmost importance.

11. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    FERRARI

They just figured it out, kicked ass, now a change. Red Bull will be back on top.

Happy?

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari and Lotus will suffer, and RB will win another championship but this one will be tainted if they run away with it after Pirelli implements the changes. Also diminishes Newey's status as a genius as it appears the RB is having issues with the current tires and Adrian can't figure it out; therefore the problem must be the tires lol. What a joke.

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In case no one noticed.
    RB and Seb are leading the championships with the current tires.

14. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Ya, Fred had a DNF due to contact with Vettel and later a screwed up DRS flap where he still managed 8th. What if? Vettel untouchable?

The annointed one has a chink in his armor and it was out for all to see, spoiled, he needs to have some more humbling experiences before I'm a fan. I'm sorry and forgive my humble biased opinion but after what he pulled with Weber defying team orders, he's got some bad Karma coming his way, he won't win the championship this year, he split the team..........I'll be the first to EAT CROW this season if otherwise. I'd rather see Prost come out of retirement and win and I am a Senna fan from the core.......need I say more? Frankly, even being a huge Ferrari fan, I'd be beyond happy to see Weber win the championship on his way out of F1 and RedBull get Seb to get on his knees to kiss his arse........I met Weber at Goodwood and he's a cool dude, get on with the fight mate.

I for one love the fact that Ferrari basically said "F...k it, lets go all out" and grabbed the damn thing by the juglar and went for broke.......that's racing like a man.....ah not a wimp.

This weeny managing of tires is BS in a 2 hour sprint race. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motorsports where you push the envelope and then some. Nursing, it has its place and is necessary in endurance racing such as at Lemans or Daytona "barely" but F1, No way. Get on with it, put your nose to the grind stone and get on with it.........

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I don't disagree with what you wrote it doesn't address my point.
    The existing tires don't disadvantage RB. In Spain they got caught out by Ferrari's superior pit strategy. I suspect if they had gone four pit from the start they'd have been in the mix.

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Then why are they complaining? Oh wait, they are sweating a bit.....lol

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Because this time around their ox got gored. They're saying publicly (along with others) what many have felt for a while now.
    I'm no RB fan and have no love for Seb but fair is fair.

18. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Yep, I know, just venting. This year just sucks as compared to last year with first seven races, seven different winners. I'm just sick of Vettel winning like I'm sick of Johnson winning. Time for others to step up.........I'm glad Ferrari did.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As am I.
    I suspect that Pirelli's redesign has a lot more to do with the delamination problem than competitive considerations.

20. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Definately some safety issues. It seems from our view that they've been lucky no bad crashes resulting in injuries due to their tires

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Which is why no team will try to exercise their veto over mid season spec changes.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It's looking like you're correct here. Sucks the big one IMO. Someone, somewhere, is putting pressure on. Or, Pirelli have indeed told 'em '**** it, this is what we're gonna do regardless'.

If I were Fauxtus, I'd be pissed.....

Cheers,
    Ian

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It remains to be seen how it will effect the different teams.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very true.

But, the whole scenario is simply messed up IMO. Messing with stuff mid season has never been a part of the game and it shouldn't be now, regardless of delams, punctures or the stage of the moon.

If we're going down that road, why not do like the minor leagues (sports cars) and strangle anyone who does a better job? Give Marussia another 500cc to help em out? Restrict the air that Ferrari can use? Add weight to the winner every round. It's BS!

I really don't care who's ox is being gored, changing mid season is pretty much unheard of in F1...... It's just plain wrong.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I am all against mid-season changes...reminds me of Williams in 1981 going from Michelin to Goodyears at mid-season, something Carlos Reutemann hated...gosh, 1981? I'm getting old.

Rgds