Charging procedure | FerrariChat

Charging procedure

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, May 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    What is the right procedure, turn the switch on or off while charging.
    Thanks, Sark

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Switch OFF when charging, Sark. It's OK to leave the switch ON when on a battery maintainer.

Barry

3. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Barry, when I said charging I meant battery maintainer.
    Thanks, Sark

4. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    Depends on how the trickle charger is wired. Mine is wired in the interior of the car through the fuse panel. As a result I do not have to open and close the front hood each time I am out for a drive. However, the technician indicated that the battery switch needs to be in the "ON" position when charging for this configuration.

Cheers

AK
    456 GT 1995

5. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Just my 2 cents... I've checked this twice. Once was away for 2 months, with battery disconnect switch (BDS) off, voltage was 12.64 on return. Next time, BDS off for 2 1/2 months, voltage was 12.56 on return.

IMHO, if you're going to disconnect the battery, you don't need a trickle charger. Of course you've got to do a "Relearn" every time you use the BDS (or not???, can't really tell any difference with the Motronic 2.7, but OM/WSM says to do it).

OTOH, a trickle charger is probably good if you don't use the BDS and don't drive for a week or so.....1995 456GT.

Regards....Mark

PS.....I'm using Sta-Bil for ethanol with these long absences...

6. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I always leave the battery switch on when using a CTEK charger. If the battery switch is off the various ECU's have to relearn their functions after being deactivated this requires you to have all the accessories off start the car and let it idle for 10 min.

7. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Agreed Pkl03. That’s what I was talking about with the Relearn….

One more thing…..(would that be my third cent?). I’m also a fan of the BDS over maintenance chargers for another reason.

This is just a guess but, with the BDS on, current is coursing through the wiring, e.g. clock, radio, alarm, ECU, etc. Current causes electrolysis and corrosion. (I’m an ME, not an EE, but think our disciplines overlap at this point.) Also, not sure if the BDS has any effect, but current going through the engine and radiator may accelerate corrosion there. Not an issue on most cars, but when you’re 18 years old, every little bit hurts…then all you have to worry about is galvanic corrosion where copper meets steel meets aluminum, etc…

Hence, there seems to be little downside to using the BDS as often as possible…..except for the extra time needed for relearn….again speaking about the Motronic 2.7…. 5.2 owners might have another opinion…

Regards….Mark

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- I would not use the BDS as a normal option. No need. None of the drawbacks you list for leaving the battery connected should be a problem. Better off to just keep a maintainer plugged in for long absences and you do not even need that unless the car will not be used for 10-14 days or more. If the battery drains in that period of time, there is a leak somewhere.

9. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Probably true Taz... said it was mostly a guess....

I wouldn't use the BDS for less than, say a 2 weeks absence but as I've verified, you don't need a maintainer with the BDS and a good battery..... with no current, battery should hold its charge for months. Just an old habit of mine from boat ownership :) ... have to say this is the only car I've had with BDS, whereas all my boats had them....

Regards....Mark

10. DanS*

DanS* Karting

May 29, 2012
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Small point, electrolytic corrosion happens with two dissimilar metal, independent of batteries. (Upgraded CTEK is great.)

11. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #11 mcypert, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Dan:

Small point indeed. I did mentioned galvanic corrosion as being between dissimilar metals, that’s going to happen whether the BDS is “on” or “off”…..You say tomoto, I say tomato….(Another small point, all corrosion is “electrolytic” whether the DC current flows between dissimilar metals, the DC current from a battery, moisture and so on.)

I was referring to what is also known as stray current corrosion, caused by unwanted grounding of electrical connections. It something regularly encountered in the boating world.

For example, below is part of an article about stray current’s effect on radiators. I am NOT suggesting this will or can happen if you don’t use the BDS. Just citing it as the type of corrosion I was thinking of…, Possibly incorrectly, I was thinking use of the BDS may slow down corrosion at connections that have current in them…

Again, not suggesting everyone do as I do….. just thought there was additional logic for using the BDS, if the goal is to preserve the battery… which it does…. I was entirely speculating that there might be another benefit….Not trying to convince anyone not to use CTEK….by all means enjoy and be happy with it….

Okay, I’m done. Sark asked a simple question and Barry answered it in one line… I suppose I shouldn't have added my thoughts… just thought others might benefit from my experiences or if they don’t have or want an A/C cord running into their Ferrari…. ;)

Regards…..Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login