Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now. | FerrariChat

Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Valenzo, May 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Can this be done? I'm sick of being 10lb over weight. I need help.

Please, for all you in the know, nothing crazy, nothing complicated, no supplements, just a simple easy to follow 5 step plan.

1) eat what in the am?
    2) eat what in the afternoon?
    3) eat what in the evening?
    4) what simple exercise?
    5) Don't eat this for 30 days?

I have an event in a little over a month, I'd like this tire around my waist gone.

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Remember you can't target fat loss so a spare tire may take more than 10 pounds as you'll be losing everywhere.

Calorie counting. You should know exactly what you eat. A pound or two per week is a nice sustainable loss but you can certainly drop 10 in a month.

There are some good iPhone apps for tracking food. I like tap and track but I've seen others that look similar. Everything that goes in your mouth gets tracked. It will do wonders for your decisions.

Simple plan: Burn off more than you take in.

Make sure to get enough protein.

Remember, if it were easy everybody would have a sixpack.

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    And good luck. :)

(is there a morning crowd at Mondipalooza going to jog or swim laps to burn off the evening scotch and good food?)

4. Flywheel

Flywheel Formula 3

Jul 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Henri
    Powerwalks every morning and add one for evenings as well if you can. You can do some,jogging, xfit etc. If you feel like it but walks are good fat burners. Oh and try doing them uphill, you need to break a sweat.

Go low carb, no sugar, no juice, no bread, no pasta. Eat a mix of salad, chicken, cottage cheese, quark (if you have it). Stay away from fruits. Apple is ok though. Fresh berries are good to mix with some fat free and no sugar yogurt/quark.

Doesn't really matter when you eat so eat whenever you feel like it, but don't go over 1500kcal (depends on age and weight of course). I never it breakfast as I work out in the morning.,I eat after my training and try to eat high protein sources.

There really is no magic trick. Low calorie diet with fat burning, low pulse exercise.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You dont need exercise. The amount of exercise to burn off a cupcake would blow your mind.

You need to control what you eat.
    We all know what is good to eat; Veggies and low fat meats such as skinless chicken and fish.

Its common sense.

No fat, no carbohydrates.

Grapefruit in the AM somehow kills most cravings.
    Salads with no-fat dressings for lunch.
    Same in the eve with chicken or fish.
    Veggies anytime.

I'm not a dietician but lost a pound a day just eating right.
    When I had the discipline.
    The good old days.
    I'm border line sick of it too.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    A bottle of red wine = two 5k runs. :)

(6 miles at a decent clip, say 8 min/mile)

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Nutrisystem. I've known several people who have done it. The pounds just melt off. I followed their program but used my own food and lst between 4-6 pounds a week.

Mark

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Eat a good breakfast like eggs and turkey sausage or bacon, keep snacks handy I like flavored almonds or beef jerky. You don't want to get too hungry or let your metabolism shut down. Drink a lot of water, eat chicken breast or turkey. Get plenty of sleep.
    As far as workouts go, Weightlifting is much more effective at burning calories than cardio but do a mix of both.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Google: Scarsdale Diet.

/thread

I'm on it now and I've jettisoned 13 pounds and a pant size in the last 2 weeks.

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Simple.

No sugar. I mean none, zero, nada. None in your coffee, none in your juice, none in your ketchup or barbecue sauce, etc.

If you eliminate every ounce of sugar you'll be surprised how much weight you'll drop without exercise. Even better, it's easy and doesn't involve any calorie counting or special diet prep. Be warned though, sugar is hidden everywhere. Check the label, if it says sugar you have to pass.

If you really want to make it better get rid of carbs also. That's everyone's second weakness that contributes nothing other than fat. Unfortunately eliminating carbs is like asking most to cut off their arm.

11. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I suggest "Atkins" diet, unless you get "hypoglycemic" symptoms. Eat only protein, eat as much as you want. Do it strickly 6 days on 1 day off for 2 weeks. But if you ingest even a trace amount of carb/ sugar during the 6 days you will gain instead of lose. 3rd week and beyond add some green veggies, not too much also some romaine lettuce is fine, but not ice berg. I eat lots of chicken, turkey, deli meats (low salt if poss), sm amounts of cheese, egg whites, tofu, brocoli & spinach. Obviously consult w your dr. It works for me.

Another suggestion is 2 days before your event pretend you have to go for colonoscopy & do the full routine - if you know what it is :). I just did mine & I could swear i dropped more than water weight.

Good luck.

12. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Only liquid going in your body should be water!

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I will look it up and see if it fits my life.

"/thread" - i had to look this up. We will see

This seems simple to me. It makes one of the hardest, most debated topics, easier for me to grasp. I love sugar, not in my coffee, but cookies and sweets of many shapes. But if i refrain from them completely, i think i can handle that sacrifice because i can identify it.

Regarding eliminating carbs... I cant do this. My wife is Spanish, and a great cook and most of our meals are rice based and since im Italian, she prepares to die for pasta based dishes. I simply cant avoid them and i dont want to. But i can shrink the portions and stop taking a second trip to the server.

I can however, skip all sugars and say no to the canoli. At least for 30 days.

I can walk, power walk, but no swinging of the arms, so i will add this too.

So, im 190 lbs and starting right now, there will be no sugars in anything i eat (except red wine) for the next 30 days and ill report back.

14. LINDW4LL

LINDW4LL Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    WI <--> NC
    Full Name:
    Hayden
    My dad went from 245 to 205 lbs in a few months earlier this year by going on the Maximized Living diet. Basically you eliminate sugars and eat lots of salads and leafy greens. Its more of a nutritional lifestyle than a "diet". Something to look into.

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Awesome! You've got nothing to lose other than unwanted weight.

I can't stress enough how much sugar is "snuck" into our diets. My wife thought she was eating healthy by having salads for dinner until I pointed out just how much sugar was really in her dressing and toppings. Also remember high fructose corn syrup is a big no also.

At 42 I'm 5'11" 160 pounds and 9% body fat so I have an idea of what it really takes to stay thin. There is no diet or fad that works. It is a total change of life habits and dedicating at least thirty minutes a day to some type of exercise. I can't help but shake my head at all my friends who claim they have no time to exercise but spend time on Facebook everyday! You don't have to become a gym rat but anyone can at least walk thirty minutes a day instead o staring at a screen.

Eat less move more. It really is that simple. Good luck!

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

This was the simple, the most direct, i was hoping for. I already drink only water during the day, i never drink sodas, its simply not in our house. But wine is a staple. My wife cooks very healthy, with only natural items. So im good there.

So No sugar at all for 30 days, but does this include fruit? And after 30 days, sweets once in awhile?

Thanks

Ted

Btw. Im 47. 5'11 and 190 lbs. for now.

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #17 HotShoe, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
    I'd recommend staying away from fruit as well to optimize your chances of losing the weight.

Afterwards you can have a treat once in awhile but by that I mean once a month at MOST. Most people that struggle with losing weight tell me "Oh, I have a treat once in awhile or I'd go crazy." After a little prodding I find out they mean at least once a week!

That won't cut it. Look at it this way. If you eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's once a week at @1,000 calories you would have to run probably three times a week just to break even. I run 5k at a shot averaging around 8 minutes a mile and that probably burns around 500 calories at most. I'd have to check my watch but its shocking just how much hard work and energy it takes to burn off calories. Given that one pound of fat is roughly 3,500 calories its no wonder why it's hard to lose weight.

Set your mind, stay focused and you'll do it!

18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I had the same question a few years ago so I took the 6 Week Body Makeover Program.
    It's involved, but to sum it up:
    -Delete dairy products as they slow down the metabolism
    -Delete salt for the same reason
    -Delete most fruits as they are a sugar

But the thrust was to eat balanced and often, to speed up the metabolism,
    and to not eliminate carbs, but to always balance them with your protien.
    So if you're having 20 grams of protien, have only 20 grams of carbs. You
    will still find this satisfying.

For breakfast I would have 3 egg whites (whole eggs are OK too) and a banana.
    Since bananas are carbs. Mid morning/afternoon snacks would be tuna, and other
    meals might be toast and sardines or whatever. But vegetables too! Get the plan,
    it's a great education that will serve you for life.
    Michael Thurmond's Six Week Body Makeover®

To those who say to avoid fat, I'm sorry, that's old thinking. Avoid the wrong
    fats, but eat the right ones.
    Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats: Mary Enig, Sally Fallon: 9780452285668: Amazon.com: Books

Wes

19. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I think there are a number of ways to do this. One is pure calorie restriction--there are technical arguments why this might not be the healthiest approach, but it will work. The second is carb restriction, which is think is the best "shotgun" approach. Many other approaches can be effective.

One thing to realized when seeking diet advice is that (likely) we are not all the same--a few are gluten sensitive, many are carb sensitive, and so on.

For me, I had to go gluten free--and just that, with no efforts at non-gluten carb reduction dropped 30 pounds. Now I am just starting extremely low carb (not for diet reasons, but for an ultra small LDL particle size issue) and more weight is coming off. Now 5'11", 160 pounds.

20. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    HERE's the answer!

EVERYTHING depends on your body type and metabolism.

If you do a quick (nor not so quick, as the function is pretty pitiful) search here, you'll find that I consumed a CRAPLOAD of extra calories on a daily basis in the form of raw cashews - and it did not change my weight one iota.

Some people can eat all they want of almost anything & never gain (or lose) a pound. Some people can almost LOOK at a particular foodstuff & gain weight.

Anybody who tells you different is simply either wrong, or trying to make some money at your expense.

YES, if calories in is less than calories out - you WILL lose weight. The trouble is: how does your body absorb food, and how does it burn off calories?

21. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Ok you goal is to lose 8 pounds in 30 days (I took the easiest of the weight range).

You currently weigh 190 pounds are 47 and stand at 5'11".

Losing 8-10 pounds will be easier than you think. Doing it in 30 days will be harder than you think, but possible.

This is simple math. You need to consume 28,000 calories less than you burn in 30 days. Thats 922 calories / day less than what your body needs. Your current diet looks like 2300 calories based on your weight, age and height.

How many calories do you burn per day? This is called your BMR (basal metabolic rate). For you I get a BMR of 1832 calories. BMR = Sitting on couch all day doing nothing. Now in reality you do stuff. Walk, workout, climb stairs, jog, etc. This can be added to BMR to get your daily burn rate.

Burn Rate Target: 2100 cal From 1832 BMR + 300 calories from working out, walking, jogging, etc.

So you need to eat 1167 calories / day; 933 less than 2100, while making sure you get the 300 calories extra burn from something active.

You may want to consider speaking to your Dr before you do this, especially if you are in a high risk category for anything.

Can you live on 1167 cal/day? sure. Will you be always hungry? Only for the first few days. I will show you how to beat the hunger. The best way is to eat 10 meals, where a meal is any consumption at once that is >50 calories.

Example meals:
    1. Coffee+4oz low fat light soy milk. 50 calories.
    2. Small 1-2 egg omlette with vegtables and very little if no cheese. You can put some ham in it. ~120 cal
    3. Protein shake. 30g proteon + water or +eggstirs (egg whites in a carton) 130-155 calories
    4. Lunch : 1 can tuna + 1/4 cup onions + 1/4 cup tomatoes + 1sblsp light mayo + 1tblsp sucralose (sugar free) relish. = ~150 cal
    5. Powerbar: Quest brand from GNC. 150 net cal
    6. 1 oz beef jerky 60 cal
    7. Coffee + Soy 50 cal
    8. Dinner: 1x chicken breast cooked in water not oil with 2x cups zucchini and squash ~180 cal
    9. Power bar: quest : 150 cal
    10 Midnight Snack: Power Bar, protein shake, or something else low suger at around 100 cal.

50+120+130+150+150+60+50+180+150+100 = 1140 cal. This is my diet. Pics of me can be found in the http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/health-fitness/393477-fitness-goals-2013-a.html Thread

You must track every single calorie. I recommend MyFitnessPal app. also web site. all FREE. You will also track your exercise here. It will tell you exactly where you are on a daily basis;
    1. Logging takes work, and somehow prevents you from cheating as long as you dont lie to yourself.
    2. You can add friends and work together. Feel free to friend me trentcarter71
    3. You can log your daily weight in the app as well. Log at first wakeup every day.

As others have said you must avoid all processed sugars, and stay away from even unprocessed sugars.

Targets:
    15% Carbs
    30-40% Fat
    50-60% Protein

Eating fat will not make you fat. Eating calories will. Fat is high in calories so you need to watch them closer.

You should probably just give up dairy for the month. Milk at its best has 12 sugar carbs per serving. Soy is better, but the best is light vanilla almond milk at 30 cal / serving as opposed at 1% milk at 110.

What you want to do is not easy and will present a mental challenge but it is very attainable.

Good luck.

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Put 2 small bottles of water in freezer.

Buy hiking boots.

Remove bottled water from freezer.

Put on Hiking boots.

Take water.

Take a hike.

Drink water.

Finish hike.

Look in mirror.

Say "Hi, King, boots."

Rinse and repeat.

via rubber ducky

23. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Fork putdowns.

24. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm 47, 5'9" and was 89kg a month ago... I've dropped 4.5kg (10lb) by having two eggs for breakfast, some tuna and salad (no dressing) for lunch, and my regular dinners. I've eliminated bread (no rolls for lunch etc) and sugar...

That has worked for me and hasn't been too difficult... once I've lost the next 4.5kg I'll let you know if it is sustainable :)

25. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

HotShoe knows what he's talking about.