What Camera Do You Have Thread (?) | Page 25 | FerrariChat

What Camera Do You Have Thread (?)

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Razzer92, Jun 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #601 V-TWELVE, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I want that lens :D

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Awesome pic. Speaking of portraits, who do you recommend for processing professional grade portraits?

4. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #604 blackwood, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Depends. You looking for classical chest-up style portraiture or full length?

The go-to lenses on the canon side of things for pros tend to be the 85mm f/1.2L pictured above, the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, the 135mm f/2L and the 50mm f/1.2L (on smaller sensors).

I often like full length portraits, so I use the 24-70 a lot. I kinda runs the full gamut: If I want that classical look, I can move closer; if I want full length, I'm good without running a marathon to position myself; I can show a lot of environment if I wish. And if you pony up for the new version of the lens, it's exceptionally sharp.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thank you so much. What about developing? My son is graduating next week and would like to have some portrait quality shots professionally printed to hang in the house. Who do you recommend for printing?

6. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't have any recomendations. Ask or look around your area for someone that does commercial /professional printing. I am going to be looking to have really large prints made up shortly. If you send your files to someone it's a good idea to mark them "DO NOT ALTER" as a lot of people like to tinker with the file. That way you can use it as a baseline and see how and what your doing if you like doing your own editing.

7. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #607 blackwood, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

If you print yourself, any Canon or Epson should be fine. Which model depends on the paper size and thickness you want to use. I use an epson 1400, good for up to 13x19. It doesn't do the heavier papers (cotton rag etc).

Provided you use color profiles appropriate for the printer (ink) and paper combo, you should get accurate prints. The big downside to third party inks is a lack of readily available profiles, though you could make your own with something like a ColorMunki (with which you could also calibrate your display).

Professionally, AandI and BayPhoto are about as good as it gets. I hear great things about mpix as well.