Mobil 1 0W40 Cant Praise it Enough | FerrariChat

Mobil 1 0W40 Cant Praise it Enough

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Red348, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red348

Red348 Guest

Ok it is not in the Ferrari just yet but it will be soon.

Up to recently I used Mobil 1 15W50 in my daily driver, a 4x4. The car has self adjusting tapets and it had started sounding like a diesel engine with very audible clatter. For the last 2 oil changes I used 0W40 and it is like a totally different vehicle. Quiet, revs smoothly and happily and easily hits 170 kmph without any hesitation what-so-ever. From now I am switching from Shell to Mobil 1 0W40 on the F-car as well.

I realise oils do make a difference but not such a huge difference.

2. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    I'm waiting to take delivery of my first F-car ( 2-3 weeks, a 1984 308QV), so I can't speak from experience here, but I, too, went the Mobil 1 route some years ago and here's why: I was trained as an Aeronautical Engineer (Ph.D., 1974) and have also flown as a private pilot. This I DO know: You don't blow your nose around an airplane unless the FAA OK's it. And components and systems for aircraft are "man-rated", meaning you're not just going to be stuck on the side of the road if something fails. Well, guess what? About 8-9 years ago, the FAA decided to change its mandatory 50-hour oil change interval for piston-engined aircraft using conventional oil to 200 HOURS with certain synthetics, with Mobil 1 topping the list.

That was good enough for me. I changed immediately upon learning this and have used it for years on BMW's, Porsches and Mercedes, some of which have racked up 200K miles and never had the head off.

I plan to do the same to the 308 when she arrives. I'm a believer.

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I think I may have posted this before, so if have already seen it please forgive. Going back a few years ago I had a daily driver Dodge Daytona that I only used Mob 1 in. Around that era the 4 cyl. Chrysler products were well known for blowing their turbos at about 60k. When I got rid of it it had 180k, ran great, did not burn oil and HAD THE ORIG. TURBO! My brother still has it and it still runs great. Made me believe in Mob. 1. Also at aroung 150k I had the head gasket done. The guy who did the work on the car said he could not believe how clean it was under the valve cover.

4. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Although I use Mobil 1 other brands may be just as good as long as they are fully synthetic and you use the appropriate viscosity.

I believe that synthetic is better because it is thinner at startup where most engine wear occurs. It is also thinner at high bearing surface operating temperatures giving better flow and therefore lubrication. More flow also gives more cooling, better cleaning and more HP.

The benefits may be far more reaching than this.

aehaas

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ali,

you are the oil master - what are you using in your Murcie? I have been using the stock recommended fluidsin the 550, but I've got an oil change to do next week, and might try something else.

--Dan

6. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    For those using the 0 weight what kind of climate are you in ?? East Coast? We dont get below about 40 here in Socal which is why I'm wondering to even go to the 0.

7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have had bad turbo wear using Mobile on my maserati that I owned.

I changed to Castrol RS 10w-60 which is amazing. The Enzo uses 10w-60 shell Ultra Helix Racing.

10w is slightly thicker on cold but the 60 is for high temperature running.

The 0w is to thin its like water. My garages i know will not use Mobile 1. to thin....

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my F Car.

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    If you live in the hottest climate on earth the first number should still be ZERO (0). If you require 30 wt oil in your engine at operating temperature its viscosity is 10 cs. That is the viscosity your engine requires at 212F. At 100F and at 32F your engine also requires the viscosity to be 10 cs.

Unfortunately 30 wt oil has a viscosity of 100 cs at 100F (and probably 200 cs at 32F), it is way too thick. 10W-30 has a viscosity of 70 at 100F, 5W-30 has a viscosity of 60 at 100F and 0W-30 has a viscosity of 50 at 100F, still too thick but not as thick as all the others. They all have the same viscosity at 212F, 10 cs.
    This is why most wear in engines is at startup. The oil is way too thick but a 0W-x is less too thick.

I am using 0W-30 Mobil 1 in the Murcielago. I changed it just last week at 500 miles. The engine is more quiet and slightly cooler running. A valve tappet noise disappeared.

I am using 0W-20 in the 575.

ali

10. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Turbo wear can only be caused by one thing, too thick an oil. The main failure is coking (sp?), the build up of burnt products inside. The culprit is heat and the only cure is better oil flow for cooling.
    The difference between fully synthetic oil brands is minimal. I use Mobil 1 only because it is available and less expensive than others. I also use it because it is the only one that has the viscosity I want. It is the only 0W-20 and 0W-30 synthetic out there.

Edit: When a person tells me that Mobil 1 (in general) is too thin or that 0W-x oil is too thin, then I know that person knows nothing about engine oils. If they say that, and at the same time claim to be knowledgeable about oils, then I would not use them as my mechanic.

aehaas

11. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    Ali,
    I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 in my '00 Suburban since new (now 80K) and
    have been very happy with it . Finger checks under the filler produce no gunk or grime ...I may try the 0W40 at next change. I am in central Florida as well.

12. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Redline 10/40 in the F-car; Mobil-1 in all my other cars. Good stuff, either brand.

13. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Cochise,

I would go to the 0W-30 instead. It is fairly thin at startup and actually slightly thicker at operating temperature.

aehaas

14. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    Ali,

Thanks for the suggestion of 0W30 in the Suburban. As always, I appreciate your entries as a source of information - and education.