My baby no longer has a garage! An advice on a cover and leather protection? | FerrariChat

My baby no longer has a garage! An advice on a cover and leather protection?

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Just moved to london and my poor car no longer has a shelter. Its kept safe in a secure car park but despite only being here a few weeks I have noticed how quickly my car is looking dirty and how worried I am about the leather. I am noticing a few cracks on the top of the steering wheels and on the side support of the driving seat where it is sitting in the sun all day long.

Does anyone have any tips? I have the red cotton cover but ideally would like a cheap blue tarp that would protect my car and look like its something not worth looking at underneath.

My leather is azzuro (?) blue and would like any advice on products to protect and moisturize it from the heat and/or sun when it is left outside.

Thanks all.

2. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

The red cover is for indoor use only. You are looking for an outdoor cover, like something made with Evo. For the leather, get a sunshade for your windshield to block out the sun. That combined with a cover will keep the interior cool and prevent the paint and leather from fading.

3. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    A cheap blue tarp will likely cause as much damage as it prevents. They are not paint friendly, nor do they breath well or at all. You need a proper outdoor car cover which has a soft inside that will not mar the finish (when the wind gets underneath, the cover can really beat on the paint). It will also breath well, this prevents excessive moisture buildup/damage which causes mildew, corrosion, etc. The cover should also be custom fit so it fits snugly. Many quality car cover manufacturers offer custom fit covers.

This website has a comparison chart... Outdoor Car Cover Fabric Guide - Materials Chart for Outdoor Car Covers

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Do you have an assigned space? If so,you could put up a canopy,with or without sides and a back. I use one here in California that is 10'x20' and cost $220. It also makes it nicer to work on the car.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I had one of those really thick cloth covers with the soft underside that came with my car.. worked like a charm when I used it on my boxster and 928. Whatever you get spray some scotchguard or other fabric waterproofer on it..

6. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
  7. San Jose J

San Jose J Rookie

Feb 25, 2012
    I bought a custom-fit cover from California Car Cover recently, and am quite impressed. You can choose from a variety of materials which are suitable for different applications, including outdoor.

As a previous poster said, it's important to select a cover which breathes and will not damage your paint. While I totally get your desire to go 'stealth', you will regret it if your cover damages your car. Good luck

8. maxemus

maxemus Karting

Apr 25, 2009
    Miami, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    California car covers or Coverking

9. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    +1

In all seriousness it would be cheaper for you to hire a indoor car park space is you calculate the loss of value keeping the car parked outside from the damage that will occur on when you sell the car.

Think you should consider it.

10. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1. I used a cheap blue tarp on my very first car thinking it was waterproof. It rained, water managed to soak through and boiled underneath when the sun came out, leaving some nasty watermarks. Lucky for me the car only cost me 800 bucks....

11. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    IMO all outdoor car covers will harm your paint, I learned this the hard way.

A better option would be the carcoon veloce or even better shelterlogic car shelters.

12. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    How can sun damage or lack of moisture be a factor in London?

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I would do two if you dont drive it much.
    A super-soft undercover to prevent scratches then an all-weather over that.