Should I worry? | FerrariChat

Should I worry?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ben348, Jun 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 Ben348, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Driving towards a track-day, my 1990 348 started to scream...
    I pulled over and jumped into the enginebay. It sounded like a belt.
    The noise was so overwelming I could not lockate it...
    After turning the engine off and restarting it, the noise was gone.
    I drove home with my tail between my legs.

I am hoping it was the airco compressor belt, but when I removed the distribution cover, this is what I found..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't know about worrying but if I were you I would consider myself very lucky.Don't start it and get it to somewhere that can get the engine out to see what has caused that.

Maybe one of the belt guides has dropped.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Slipping alternator belt?

Kai

4. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Something definitely was chewing into your belt and could have been the source of the noise. I concur to not drive it until you understand what caused that damage to the belt. I hate to say it but you may need to do an early belt change. Who knows how much the belt was stressed from that.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #5 2NA, Jun 5, 2013
    There's something going on there. The marks could be from debris that got between the belt and water pump or tensioner pulleys. It's definitely time to look into it. It looks like you have a fairly early car (1990), has the roller bearing (part #3) ever been replaced? It is a known failure that will make the belt run cock-eyed. It should be upgraded to a new-style ball bearing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Tim,

I never changed bearing no3. I guess the only way knowing for sure, is to take it out...

Thanx for the responces!

Ben.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks to me like something was in there causing that belt to "chew up" a little bit.

Lucky you made it home safely Ben without ANY damage to that engine.

I would pull the engine out, try and find the source of the problem and then replace bearing #3 and everything else you need to do while you are in there mate.

Be sure to keep posting pics up for us, I am very interested in seeing what could have/may have got in there.

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Something like a small stone or a nut got in there and crushed between the belt and housing at the bearing area. The bearing now has an indent causing it to stick when it gets hot thus the striations on the belt(not the chucks missing) If you look close you will see lines on the belt. This is caused by the tensioner bearing when not turning. Replace the tensioner and belt. This is of course just my opinion. :)

9. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I guess your question is answered: should you worry? Hell yes. Should you be grateful to have gotten home with engine/valves etc. intact? Double hell yes. Looks like a rabid dog was chewing on the edge of that belt

10. Bullitt1

Bullitt1 Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you own a Ferrari, you either worry about everything, or just don't worry about anything :)

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

DAYUM! In the 10 years I've been on Fchat, that is the most BRILLIANT summation of the Ferrari experience I've read. Love it !

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    And many of the 355s out there have been driven by the latter.

13. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    +355

14. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanx for all the replys!

Well, although the belt looks rather stressed, I still think it is good for some miles.
    I think Tim's suggestion is the most plausible one ...
    It is( in my mind) unlikely that an loose object has caused these marks. Keep in mind the bottem pulley has no cover and any loose parts will drop out.
    I have seen simylar markings on missalined pulleys before, so the bearing no. 3 could be the one to blame...

I'll digg deaper!

Regards. Ben
    Holland

15. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
    If you're scared easely, buy a Porsche...

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    NO!

That belt is not good for some more miles. You car was SCREAMING at you that something went wrong. Do not ignore it's screams. Looking at that belt and the noise you described, it sounds like you had a bearing seize up. What bearing? You are going to have to remove the engine to find out. But what ever the case that belt is shot, and you are playing Russian roulette if you continue to run the engine.

17. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Agreed, don't run the car even for a second!

18. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Trust these guys.... they know what they're talking about...

Seriously...

Engine out, or think about finding a new engine.

Mike

19. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    My suggestion to "look into it" did not include a lot of additional driving. It will be necessary to drop the engine and replace the belt, regardless what other problems might be present.

Good Luck.

20. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #20 captglen, Jun 9, 2013
  21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Two hours to drop an engine?????

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I could drop a Porsche 911 SC or Carrera engine in 2 hours but not a Ferrari 348 or 355 engine, even with a 2 post lift. That is a little bit optimistic. Working at a leisure but professional pace, it would take me one day.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    +1

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great to see you picked up the odd noise, stopped driving the car and replaced that ****ed bearing! :)

Y'all remember Ferrari Fixer??? ;)

He told me years ago he can pull a 348 engine out in 2 hours all by himself. He has done this task countless times over the last 20 years mind you.

I've never done it, but I will have a GOOD go at it when the time comes. If he can do it in 2 hours, so can I. I love challenges like that and hold many "records" at work for quick times in doing certain tasks.

A few years ago, I remember reading some crap online in regards to replacing the air box on a 1979 911.

I had to do this for a friend here as it was a common problem for the air box to blow apart. I read on the Pelican Parts forum people stating they had to drop the engine, some dropped one side of the engine to get the air box out etc...etc..

Then I read some people took 6 hours, some 8 hours and some took 12+ hours to get that damn air box out. It didn't look like a 6 hour job to me and I thought I would have the height to get it out without dropping the engine.

I did the job, first time and by myself in 4 hours and having done it now.................I would remember the way it goes for next time and I reckon I could shave another hour off that time.

I will let you all know how long it takes me to pull the 348 engine out when the time comes. :D

25. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    The damage to the belt could be caused by friction from the waterpump bearings going bad.