Apple IPod - Who Has One? | FerrariChat

Apple IPod - Who Has One?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dherman76, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you have an Apple iPod?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not yet, but plans of purchasing one...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Hey guys,
    I have an Apple iPod - I don't work for Apple, so this is not an advertisement or solicitation. Does anyone else have one? How do you like them? Do you ever listen to audio books on your iPod?

DH

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have the original iPod, and also a newer 30gb version. Dig them, wish they had kept some features, lost others.

Overall, there is no better mp3 player. Can't speak for audio books, but the iPod with a good set of headphones is tough to beat for portable music.

--Dan

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i do. 20gb. I listen to the audible books and the quality is great. The accesories are awesome too. I'm getting a memory stick adaptor soon that will allow me to put pix/vids off my memory sticks onto my ipod and then transfer them to the computer. Theoretically allowing me to take about 13gb of pix at any show. My dad has one too and he is obcessed with it. Its a truly great piece of machinery.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought one of the Dell Mp3's and it is pretty cool as well. Never had one before so can't compare it to any others but its a neat little toy.

5. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Never heard of this - can you link me to something online about this? Sounds awesome!

6. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I don't buy the hype -- I've used iPods and I've used other MP3 players and, by a FAR shot, other MP3 players have better sound quality, have more features, look better, etc. Apple has just done an absolutely outstanding job at marketing the iPod.

Check out iRiver, for one...a touch cheaper (after rebate), looks better, supports more formats, has a built-in FM radio, and has MUCH better sound quality, IMHO...

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iHP-120.asp

7. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    I have 2, a original one ( great battery life)
    and latest version ( sh1tty battery life)

Sucks to ski with ,skips not unexpected after all it is a spinning hard drive.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Agreed! I wanted at first to get the iPOD went with the iRiver instead. Just a better value. I have the iFP 190TC, 4 hrs of music for $149.99.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I have had three.

10 20 30

I cant say enough good things about them.

Currently mine has 6013 songs

DrS

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm kind of scared of getting one. I have a G4 Powerbook with a little over 1400 songs on it (only 6.5GB), and my concern is that as fast as I can actually acquire more music, I listen to my favorite songs so often that I burn out on them. Once I make a new CD of 'favorites' for my car it only takes a few weeks for songs I love to be kind of old.

So if I had all that music to go with me, I'm afraid my music consumption would increase drastically and my enjoyment of songs might go down. I actually save certain music for certain times so that I don't spoil it.

This is also why I'm hesitant to buy many DVD's or the Simpsons box sets.

Has anyone else experienced this?

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Just bought I pod mini. £ - $ exchange rate lets me buy @ £135 and it's not out in UK 'till April. I just spent the w-end downloading some of my cd 's onto it, 1000 odd songs , which is plenty for me.
    Tony

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    WFO: interesting, i snowboard with both of mine and they're fine...

--Dan

13. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    i love my ipod, it makes long plane flights seem short. it really is the best mp3 player. my dad has a 20gb and uses it for audio books and seems to like it. buy one it is really nice.
    thad

14. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Its awesome - I got the Bose Noise Reduction II headphones and they are really good. I got a 15GB - they now work with both Mac and PC (same unit).

15. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I bought my girlfriend an iPod a few months ago and it looks pretty cool. It's certainly a lot more stylish and functional than any other mp3 players i've seen. Granted, I haven't owned an mp3 player since the first one came out, so I'm behind the times :) If I want to listen to music on the go I usually get out my sony vaio tr3 which I bring everywhere. I guess i'm very different from other people who listen to music while walking from place to place - that just feels awkward to me *shrug*

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Awesome.

17. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    I just picked up a 15GB version on Friday, and so far, I'm loving it.

That said, I wish the battery life was a little bit longer, but I think its just something that I'm gonna have to plug in every night, like my cell phone. It has been on and off all weekend, but I expect that it could go about 8 hours at a time on a single charge, which really ought to be enough for a day.

I bought it at the Apple Store on 3rd Street Promenade, and the experience there wasn't all that great. The store itself is really cool, with all these set ups, but the staff sucked. It took a few minutes to find someone who even wanted to help me, and the guy that finally did had attitude. I gave him my high school ID card to get an education discount, and he tried to claim that they only give educational discounts to college students, which I know to blatantly false, so I called him on it (you can get the discount as a high school student online, and I had even called the store and they said they do it). I think he was just trying to sqeeze the extra $30 out of me.

You'll definitely want to get a case for it, as it smudges quite easily. I ordered an exo3 from Lajo, which has been getting some good reviews on message boards. They ship it from Hong Kong, so it should probably come next week. If you have the money to spend, Vaja makes some really cool leather cases.

18. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    I got my wife's Archos when she bought a 20gb iPod. Considered it a piece of junk until we downloaded the freeware ephpod software. We've got PCs, and the download rate was pathetically slow. I personally don't like the hardware or software interface of the iPod and gladly accept the Archos over it.

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    40GB 3/4 full and use it every day.

21. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    its a life saver for trips, especially to the uk. I just dowload a few books off audible.com and i'm set for days :)

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Have a 30Gb. Great piece of kit - probably the best gadget I've ever purchased (and that's saying something).

Few annoying bits to it, but not enough to make it a must have.

I tested a few others and they don't match up in quality at all.

23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I was tossing around the idea of getting an I-Pod, but instead I just received Dell's version of an I-Pod, called their Digital Jukebox. It is 20gigs.

I had my entire music collection already on my computer (about 2,200 songs), but getting them onto the Jukebox was not as straight forward as it should be, and this is with the instructions in my hand. I finally got all of the songs on there last night. Twice, last night, the thing jammed up, meaning no buttons worked at all. There is a tiny button that can only be accessed using a pin to reset it, which I had to press the two times. If I was on a flight and this happened, and I had nothing to reset it with, I would be thoroughly pissed!

Anyways, the sound quality is good, although I wish the volume would go a little higher than what it does. I will use it on a flight I will be taking tomorrow night, so I'll report back on its performance.

24. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    I am with Dan, had an I-Pod for 3 yrs and trade up to the Dell Digital Jukebox. Much better battery life and user support.

Also if you have a PC [not a MAC] easier user interface.

My $0.02

25. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

Listening to your favorite songs all the time is the same principal that makes people fat; eating for taste when they are not hungry. The trick is to hold yourself from listening to your favorite songs. Download semi-good "filler" songs if you must. I personally just play a song that I think is fitting for my mood at the given time. Or, another way to do it, is let the computer(or iPod) randomly choose songs from your collection. This way, it's like the radio, only with all good songs. I have upwards of 8GB of songs, and I don't really have any problems with it anymore.

As for the iPod, I was given a 20GB iPod for Christmas(the new style one), and I must say that it's convenient. It seems like it would be especially good for college students, service workers, etc... I did purchase one accessory for it from the local Apple store, a little device called "iTtrip". It plugs into the top of my iPod, and allows me to broadcast my music on any standard FM frequency for a 30' range. This means that I can play the music on my iPod, and tune into it on any radio that's close by(IE, in the car, at the beach, etc...) no wires. Pretty neat if you ask me.

-DC