Australian V8 Supercars at COTA. | FerrariChat

Australian V8 Supercars at COTA.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by texasmr2, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Should be a good watch, right?

2. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great times, but damn it was a scorcher out this weekend.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    SPEED's coverage started at 8am so I thought they were getting an early start due to the heat and humidity but I was wrong. What, if any, supporting races did they have? I was thankfull that the F1 race was held in Nov and the wind, overall, was a blessing but in 90+ degree heat its just circulating 90+ degree heated air. Hopefully there was enough scantily clad "Eye Candy" for a distraction from the heat.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Schedule is here: Event Schedule - V8 Supercars | Circuit of The Americas - Home of the Formula 1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX

One Fchatter, Mike Hedlund, was out there racing in the Pirelli World Challenge in an Audi R8 LMS. He managed to have his first ever DNF on Saturday, and on Sunday, an early retirement after the car was stuck in 6th gear. A few other friends were racing in the Pirelli TC/TCB races. One of which was Brianne Corn's first pro race. She ended up in 12th in the first race, and 10th in the second race (out of 21). Not bad for a Mazda 2 that was driven to and from the track, which also had A/C keeping her cool while sitting on the grid.

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Randy, did you get a chance to look at the Minis set up for TCB class?

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Did not. Looking at a B spec Mini? For 30K, that's twice as much as you'd pay for Mazda 2.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am a huge fan of the PWC and all the classes involved!! :cool:

I was a tad confused and disappointed they did not utilize the full track though!?!? I kept looking for the cars braking and diving for position at the hairpin, turn 11, but it was great racing and I am very happy to have this series finally make it to NA.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    They ran the short course. It was great! It turns in around T5 and comes in just before T12. It's much more exciting for these cars and the crowds since the field comes by more often. I hope they utilize this format more in the future.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Makes sense.

11. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was there on Sunday, and it was indeed a scorcher...and one thing that gets overlooked is that your enjoyment of such an event can be dictated by how fit you are. There is (or can be) a lot of walking up and down hills and across footbridges and I could see some people had just about had it, so keep those gym memberships going..really enjoyed the Pirelli race...the Cadillacs were ground shakers and there was little Lotus at the back that could. Crowds were less than motogp, the pitlane walk was good, and there was a 599GTO in the parking lot to spot, what not to like?

12. slapshot36227

slapshot36227 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Zach K
    I enjoyed it as well, those CTS-Vs sounded AMAZING. Do you have a picture of that 599 GTO? When I walked back to my car I found a rosso mugello 458, white R8 Spyder, two Aston Martin Rapides, an SRT Viper, a Tesla Model S, a C7 Corvette on a trailer and a Holden Commodore Ute (some guy in Colorado converts them to LHD).

13. sinking

sinking Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Here is a video I took that I think has Johnny Oconnells CTS-v in it.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/JJH3/media/phone/20130517_143046_zpsb09cf013.mp4.html

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The GTo must be local to Austin I have seen it at other races....beautiful car!

15. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    What color was the GTO?

16. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #16 505T, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017