Detailer and Clear Bra in Philadelphia | FerrariChat

Detailer and Clear Bra in Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by RossoDiamante, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    I will soon be having a new car delivered through Algar Ferrari in Philadelphia. Before it leave the dealer, I'd love for it to be detailed and clear bra'ed. Are there any people or companies in the Philadelphia area that have done this and have a reputation for excellence?

Thanks for the references.

2. agentf1

agentf1 Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Longwood Fl.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have seen a few cars having the bra installed by Algars guy and it was a very nice job. I would just speak to them.

3. mx931

mx931 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013
    Nick oaks, plain and simple. Nick oaks...he is the best around that is a fact

4. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    We use ClearGuardX exclusively because of durability and clarity. Give the manufacturer, Prestige Film Technologies, a call to see if they have an authorized dealer near you:

408-657-3880 or

[email protected]

Good luck.

5. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    I've always been impressed with pictures of your work posted on these forums. I only wish you were located on the "right" coast (vs. the "left" or west coast).

It has always been my thought, however, that the quality of the installer is at least as important, if not more so, than the quality of the product.

6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Algar installed Xpell Ultimate film on my spider and the job was outstanding.

7. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    I have several white cars and in the past all films turned yellow due to uv light. This was 8 years ago.
    Have any films Developed resilience to not turning yellow

8. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    ^^ RE no yellowing = yes.

Most of the older formula films would/will yellow or get a tinge to them somewhat overtime, even though most of the discoloration is from dirt bonded to the film not the urethane itself turning color. The old school 3M Scotchgard film - still being mfg.ed and sold - had/has some yellowness to it right off the roll - along with way a lot of orange-peel texture. Most others were/are just compressed raw urethane on top fused to base layer of uncompressed urethane, thereby somewhat less porous on top but still raw urethane nonetheless.

The Xpel Ultimate film has a true proprietary topcoating that will not turn yellow and is warranted for 10 yr.s not to along with other warranted features incl. self-healing for swirlmarks / minor scratches which is a very nice feature for dark colored cars. I've seen it on i.e. Corvette white which is about as white as white gets for abt. 2 yr.s on daily driver and the film and underlying paint are like the day the car was painted.... the uncovered areas not as much prob. bc needs clay-bar and polish to get dirt out of clear-coat. The Avery Dennison Nano-Fusion film also has true top coating but in other ways not near the quality of the Xpel Ultimate film IMO. Both of those films you can write on with a Sharpie pen and it will just stay as beads of liquid on top and wipe right off, no penetration whatsoever into underlying urethane so dirt, bird droppings, water spots / acid etching, bug guts etc. no penetration at all wipe right off.

3M is supposed to have new film out prob. by SEMA in Oct/Nov and will probably be class leader but until then they are not really in the game anymore. That is thier typical MO w/ all their auto products, wait and copy and further perfect what others have done with their unlimited R&D resources and then ride that out and milk it until they are forced to "innovate" again.

9. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    I found out that Algar uses an independent contractor. Good to know what product is used. Even better to know that the quality of the work is.

10. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Saw the videos on the Xpell Ultimate. The self-healing property is pretty amazing. Does it really work that way in real life? How is the clarity of the product holding up over time?

11. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have had my spider since early March and it still looks good as new. Fortunately I have not had to test the self-healing properties as of yet, but it does do a great job with bird droppings. I had the 3M film on my Cali and it seemed to have a bit of an orange peel look. This film is much more clear. I had the car hand washed and the guys did not notice the film until I pointed it out.

12. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    As my car is 3 to 4 weeks away from delivery, has anyone else had good or bad experiences with the Algar sourced clearbra? I'm assuming they do some sort of detail or paint prep prior to a clearbra on a new car insallation? I've heard that Ferrari paint jobs can be hit or miss.

13. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Algar did my entire hood on my 575 with Xpel.
    Very happy with the results. Since it has the self healing qualities I never have a swirl mark on my hood.
    The 575 and FF hoods are wider then 60" so I do have a seam along the top of the hood along the windsheild. If you are taking delivery of a different model it should be one piece and the film should be unnoticeable.
    Good luck and congrats!

14. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    My understanding is that Algar recently has a new (to them) person doing their clear bra's. If this is correct, he is the same person the McLaren dealership uses and is quite experienced and skilled.

15. LOLAF1RACER

LOLAF1RACER Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Full Name:
    Andy
    pm me if you want his contact info , I have used in 3 times this month . Highly recommended , and yes , he just started working for Algar last week .

16. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    My understanding is the outfit that has long-time serviced Algar with protective film products keeps a full schedule and can get overbooked so they tried a fill-in or had a buyer specifically request other person or something like that and consensus was a lot of gaps were left in the precut pieces used, parts of hood left uncovered etc. I don't think the fill-in left anyone in awe.

Boy news travels fast and loose in the info. age.

17. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Desmosedici,

The obvious question here is whether the person you are referring to is the same person that alxlee and lolaf1racer are referring to.

18. phillycarnut

phillycarnut Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2012
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Algar installed my clear bra last year and did an excellent job.

19. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    My advise, if you have an F car let Algar handle it. They know who they're dealing with, from their world renown and award winning techs on down.

They don't habitually win top ranked customer satisfaction awards by happenstance.

I do have some personal knowledge that clear protective film products are very difficult to work with, esp. to make totally imperceptible and invisible as some clear-bra people apparently have pushed the envelope to. Meeting that 100% perfection standard 100% of the time when the manufactured films themselves can on occasion have minor defects that don't show until the film is fully cured etc. is almost impossible.

And I also have personal experience that on that rare occasion when there is an issue no matter how small with a clear-bra Algar will see to it that it is fully remedied.

These films are great products that really do work. I highly recommend them.... esp. on great cars ;-)

20. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    EJ Core from rock guard in Allentown is the
    Installer they are referring too. I got him hooked up
    with the Main Line dealerships after he did a my
    Panamera. He does good work and typically uses Expel film.

21. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Sounds like EJ is a solid choice in clear bras.

But from browsing the web site, it doesn't look like they do detailing work. I would love for the car to be detailed for that glassy look before the clear bra gets applied. Unfortunate if it would require two parties and steps to get there, though. Would hate to get into a finger-pointing argument if there were issues.

I will give them a call on Monday.

22. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
  23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Years ago I introduced Algar to a guy that I am pretty sure became their film guy. He did the Gallardo and the Gran Turismo I had back then. He was located at the time in Bala Cynwyd and I remember him being very good in fact I think I wrote a post about him on here.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    And he also did redid my 430 the person Algar had at the time messed it up!

25. Maswrapido

Maswrapido Rookie

May 24, 2013
    Miami
    All

EJ has been my go to person for paint protection in all my cars. Most recently he did my 1M and Mclaren Mp4-12c. No one can beat EJ quality and detail on his work.He is very easy to work with and Very responsive by email or text. In addition to Porsche and Mclaren of the main line he just picked up work at Algar Philadelphia. Not a bad group of accounts!

Call him at 610 428 2969