Window Motor Replacement | FerrariChat

Window Motor Replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Sep 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Yesterday I decided to finally tackle my car's inoperative passenger power window. I had previously tested the switch, so knew that the problem wasn't with it.

I started by removing the door panels. No problems here -- I've removed the driver side panels enough times to have the process pretty much memorized.

I then used a volt meter to test the power going to the motor. Good -- plus and minus 12 volts as expected. (Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the voltage strength...)

I next removed the window motor using an 8mm wrench. It was a very tight fit, but I was able to remove the motor without removing the gear assembly. The motor was pretty corroded but, after a few manual turns using a pair of pliers, I was able to get the motor to spin about 1/3 of a turn when connected directly to a 12v source (the car's battery, in this case). It's obvious that the window motor needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

I would like to just replace the motor and not the gearing assembly. Ideally, I get a new motor and install it without removing the gearing assembly. After reading all of the difficulties others have had with restringing the wires, I would prefer not to remove the gear assembly.

Has anyone been able to reinstall the window motor without removing the gear assembly? It's a tight fit, but I'm pretty sure that I can do it.

Also, will the window motor for the 308 fit the Mondial? I know that the entire "window regulator" assembly will not fit, but what about the motor? There are a couple for sale on eBay right now that appear to be a pretty good deal, but I don't want to buy them unless I know that they will fit.

Thanks.

--Jeremy

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #2 350HPMondial, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jeremy,

The Mondial 8 has a nice feature,, in the passenger door, rainwater drips right on the window motor.

The Motors are easy to take apart and clean.
    The after-market motors have stronger windings.

IMO, you need to Check your grease in the gear unit.
    use zip ties to hold the cable on the spool.

good luck,
    Edwardo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    Years ago I rebuilt both door window systems on the Mondial 8 that I used to own. I remember the grease in the gear drive assembly had hardened to the consistency of plastic. It took a lot of solvent to clean it all out. My motors worked fine after that, however, the car was only 14 years old at the time. The aftermarket motors sound like a perfect upgrade.

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Thanks for the replies, Edwardo and Wade. I went ahead and ordered a new motor ($159 for a pair on eBay...). I will look to see if I can rebuild mine just for grins.

Edwardo, I'm intrigued by the idea of keeping the cables in place using twist ties (so that I can remove the window gears). I'll look into that tonight and see if I can figure it out. I would love to clean the old grease out while the door skins are off.

--Jeremy

5. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Must be for cooling purposes.

6. freelapl

freelapl Karting

May 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Pete Freeland
    I just recently replaced both of my window motors, using a pair from ebay as well. I replaced only the motor units, and had to take apart the gearing to remove the fossilized grease...once I did that they seemed to work much better.

One thing I did notice as I reinstalled the motors - it is a pain to get the gearing and cablewinding just right. When I installed the drive cables back in per the Ferrari workshop manual then I found my windows didnt go all the way to the top. I've been playing around with the routing, getting the cable tensions correct, etc and still have not been able to get the windows to go the full travel up and down using the original routing diagram.

If anyone has any suggestions on getting this routing correct after motor replacement then it would be great!

7. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I ordered a pair of motors (without gears) off of eBay yesterday. I only need one right now, but the other one can go on a shelf along with all of the other extra parts I seem to accumulate...

My goal is to install the new motor without removing the gears. I'm trying to avoid the cable-winding hell that others have experienced. I know that I probably should pull the gears, but I'm going to try the new motor first and see how fast the window moves. If it is horrible, I'll go ahead and pull the rest of the window regulator out and clean out all of the old grease. Eduardo reported that I may be able to use twist ties to somehow keep the cables in place. I'll see if I can figure this out.

8. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I ordered a pair of "308" window motors from eBay for $149. I installed the motor without removing the regulator, turned the ignition key to the "power" position, pressed the window switch, and...

nothing.

I removed the motor and ensured that it worked. I then compared the new motor to the old one and realized that the old motor had some rubber spacers on the bolts. I removed the spacers from the old motor and put them on the new motor, re-installed the new window motor (which was much more difficult the second time), and tried the window switch again.

Success! The passenger side window now goes up and down very quickly -- about twice as rapidly as the driver side window. I re-installed the door panels and took the car out for a quick spin, enjoying the sound of the Tubi exhaust through both open windows for the first time I bought my car a couple of years ago.

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    What did you search on ebay; Ferrari Mondial window motors?

10. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I did, but only found window motors with the gearing attached. (For something like $280 each.) I didn't want to go this route, as I've read too many horror stories about the window cables. I then searched for "Ferrari Window Motor" and saw a post from someone selling two new motor units for the 308 for $149. The seller thought that the motors would work and they looked almost the same as the Mondial window motor (the new motors are slightly smaller than the OEM Spal motors), so I bought them.

11. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    #11 AR!, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My drivers window isn't operating.

I managed to remove the panels and get access to the window motor. I'm unsure about the best way to proceed from here on. Preferably I would like to remove the motor itself from the rest of the unit. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

When I had to replace the window motor of the rear window someone sold me the appropriate part from a FIAT for just 20 EUR. Maybe it's possible to identify a used FIAT or Lancia motor again, if I'm able to seperate the motor from the whole unit.

12. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I've been investigating the motors.

For the QV, as well as 3.2, 328, and 348 it appears that Bosch part numbers 0 130 821 069 (left) and 0 130 821 070 (right) are specified, as they are mentioned in various cross-reference threads. These part numbers refer to the complete motor assembly, not just the part that is technically the motor. I believe my motors (QV) were made by SPAL Automotive Srl in Italy. I don't know if the Bosch part is exactly equivalent.

I've looked at a lot of Fiat, Alfa and Lancia motors and haven't found a match. I've investigated many other Bosch part numbers without success.

Other cars that use the Bosch 069 and 070 include MB Gelandewagen models, as well as TVR Chimaera and Griffith (TVR use the -069 part). (See HELP PSE - WANTED - Electric Window Parts | G-Wagen Owners' Association for a discussion of the Gelandewagen application.) I haven't found other cars that use these, so this information is of little help, and let's face it, MB G-class and TVRs are not exactly abundant.

Price for the Bosch part seems to be around €200 in Europe and much less expensive in the USA.

In my research I found repeated references to the Bosch part numbers in association with a company called "Electric Life". Looking at Electric Life I see that they sell window motor kits, and Bosch motors as well. They do not provide the part numbers, but some of their window motor assemblies look remarkably similar to what we have.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the other issues regarding removal and reassembly, though there are many good threads here regarding those procedures.

It seems that hardened grease in the reduction gear is one of the primary reasons for slow motors, and the various ideas of cleaning electrical connections, installing relays and improving electrical grounds may only be a partial solution. Of course, the motors may weaken with age, especially if they're subjected to years of abuse due to other problems.

Best of luck and let us know if you make any discoveries in your research.

13. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Having a Bosch part# is a big step forward, thanks a lot! The window motors are around 150 EUR over here.

14. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    AR! It seems that the motor itself may interchange with many Bosch units. This thread on fourtitude (Audi site) suggests that BMW and Saab, as well as some VW use it. Fourtitude.com - Power window regulator

There's also a link there for a site selling the "Electric Life" Bosch part for 75USD.

15. roberth9855

roberth9855 Karting

Feb 4, 2012
    Murrysville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert Henkel
    Last year my windows were running real slow almost stopping. I read about the low voltage at the motors so I removed my door panels and checked it, it was at 11 volts car not running and 13 volts car started. Then read about hard grease in the gears. This is the part that might not be for everyone. I took a 1/8" drill bit, put a depth stop on it to 3/16", a right angle drill and drilled a hole in the top of the gear housing with out removing any thing from the door. Sprayed penetrating oil in the hole while running the window up and down. Every time they got faster. Put some electrical putty over the whole. The speed going up went from 8 sec. to 4 sec. And are still working great.

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 soucorp, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Cleaning and re-lubing the motor and regulator is a good way to maintain everything in working order. Also, adding a window accelerator helps and making sure you have a good ground wire. I think the front motors are a piece of cake compared to what you have to deal with in the cabrio rear windows from a working space perspective. My rear windows failed shortly after I bought my car and hasn't worked in 2.5 years, I only drive the car top down anyways but do have custom plexi-glass I made in case it rains. Will be finding a solution using the volvo mechanism as an fchat member suggested. The original Ferrari design is a total failure IMHO, it forces a rod to loop into a figure 8 when the window glass goes down in a tube full of dried up grease. Try having that lil motor do that after 20 + years and you will see why they all go bad. Last week, I just changed my mom's E-class rear window regulator and that design was smart and easy to get in, replace, and got it working in 30 minutes. Maybe after Palooza, I'll find a permanent working solution once and for all that doesn't involve a SHOTGUN to the thing! errgh!

Rear Mondial windows stuck
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/339623-mondial-rear-windows-stuck-down.html

17. roberth9855

roberth9855 Karting

Feb 4, 2012
    Murrysville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert Henkel
    My drivers side back window only works with a helping hand. And I fill lucky after ready about the problems others have. I've looked in the space were the the rear window motor is and can't even see a way to get in there!!!! LOL

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Consider yourself lucky but I'm afraid its on its way out. But at least its moving, mine are totally dead. And yes, almost impossible to get the rear window assembly out, but I was able to do it without breaking anything. Not looking forward to taking out the other side. I hear it's every Ferrari mechanics nightmare to work on rear windows because of the spacing issue and that's why they charge you a hefty sum to work on them.

19. roberth9855

roberth9855 Karting

Feb 4, 2012
    Murrysville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert Henkel
    I think I'm going to spray some penetrating catalyst on that driver side rear window rod thing. May be it will help.

20. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
  21. GranPremio

GranPremio Rookie

Nov 1, 2010
    I realize this is an old thread, but it still has a lot of good information. Rutlands has 308 Window Regulator/Motor Assemblies for $575 per pair. That's a lot more than the 2 or 3 year old prices in this thread. Rutlands says they are a new, more powerful design. Has anyone used these new ones?

22. race

race Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2013
    Carrollton Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Mead
    Is it possible to just replace the cable? I have another window motor assy. and can not see any way to remove just the cable?

23. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    re hard grease, a ferrari mechanic once taught me a trick. you can spray solvent (i forget which one maybe wd40 I would not try lacquer thinners as that stuff eats plastic) into the emergency window wind socket and it will soften up the grease. 10 minutes instead of 10 hours.

24. garyrolls

garyrolls Rookie

Apr 24, 2021
    bristol
    Full Name:
    gary adams
    How do you take the window gear out to clean?

25. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    It ain't easy. But here is a link to an thread I posted some years back when my mechanically adept friend helped me with my windows. There are some pics and I pretty much give the step by step he used to get it done. There is also a reference to a post on the 308 page that we used to guide us. Hope this helps.

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/passenger-window-motor-2.503008/#post-144690511

Gerald