Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Question for you Eddie,
    If you alter or change to much the pis value, can it affect the idle?

2. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    If its set too low the input shaft can see RPM when the cars at idle, in gear, foot on brake. The clutch drags which can pull the idle down, though if it's this severe you usually have issues getting reverse when the car is hot....

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    You might solve one of my problems!
    I need to put back the sd3

4. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yeah, but what she didn't tell ya' was she had been doing rolling burn-outs too! :p

6. 360Jet

360Jet Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    So, it sounds like it is hard to beat the UK CS TCU deal which will allow PIS settings, and the other benefits mentioned in this thread re the CS TCU, except maybe Eric355's option?!

7. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I'd be most disappointed if she hadn't done a few burn outs - she is pretty accomplished on the track as a driver.

Besides - going in reverse is highly over rated.

8. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    :) :p Agreed!

9. DannyP

DannyP Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I got one from Eric with the reflash. It works great, absolutely worth the money, thanks again Eric!
    I already had the '02 tcu, but this is way better :)

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric has been buying compatible TCUs, and his reflashed TCUs can be installed with no SD2 required, at least initially.

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Sorry Danny, I missed your post. Thanks, It was a pleasure to do it for you.
    Hope you are still happy with it :)

12. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, Terry, you are correct, they have worked OK on all the cars without the need of a SD2/3. Though, a fine tuning to match exactly the characteristics of each can be a plus.
    The range of compatible TCUs has extended, CFC201F.05 (360 TCUs, but the very earliest ones) and CFC201F.50 (Maserati TCUs) can do the job.

13. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Eddie, does that mean it does a better job of throttle matching on shifts? That would be what I am looking for? Formula Dynamics does claim less clutch wear on their website with the upgrade.

IMO, the cost of the Formula Dynamics upgrade is more than a used CS TCU, so not sure what the real advantage is other than a simpler install. I assume it sits on the buss and interjects.

14. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've recently switched over to the CS TCU in my 2001 360 which has been a great improvement, however, I now have to have the ignition key turned and held for about 3 or 4 seconds for the starter to engage and the engine to start. It starts completely normally, just that the key needs to be turned for a few seconds before anything happens. For those of you that have changed over, do you have the same thing happen?

My ferrari mechanic told me its because the the CS has the starter button which needs to be held down for a number of seconds, and this signal runs through the TCU. Interested to hear others experience with this...

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I changed to the CS TCU and no difference in starting.

16. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have an 01 360 with the stradale TCU and like yourself, I need to hold the key for 3-4 seconds cranking before it starts. Its the same whether the car is cold or warm. And even straight after unplugging the battery tender.

It starts just fine everytime, so I take this to be normal behaviour.

I cant actually recall if it started quicker with the orginal TCU (the very first revision fitted ) as the upgrade was one of the first things i did after i purchased the car.

17. THL

THL Karting

Jun 11, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Thomas Harvej Larsen
    Hi Eric

PM sent

Regards Thomas

18. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the response guys.
    Knowing it's potentially happening with at least one other is a slight relief. Anyone have any ideas as to why the CS TCU may do this? Anyone with a stradale able to chime in and give an estimate of how long you need to hold the start button down to fire up - if indeed this is a CS TCU issue?

19. DannyP

DannyP Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Danny

I also have this, but doesn`t bother me.

20. mark.sch

mark.sch Rookie

Jun 5, 2013
    Germany
    Hello,

is there any possible upgrade path for the old CFC201F.01 176552 TCU. Have equipment here to read/write 29F200 and 95080 on bench.

Best wishes,

Mark

21. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Yes i have this also ...its more like 6 or 7 seconds on mine before the car will be ready to fire up, I have had 2 different factory stradale TCUs in the car and both have been exactly the same.

22. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
  23. mark.sch

mark.sch Rookie

Jun 5, 2013
    Germany
  24. mark.sch

mark.sch Rookie

Jun 5, 2013
    Germany
    Biggest prob seems to get the necessary binaries (e.g. CS one) to program the ecu - at least I have not found any shared info so far.

From the hardware side, the 360 challenge TCU seems to be great for older TCUs (CFC201 hardware). Anyone with experiences porting those maps to the very early 99-01 TCUs?

25. targa81

targa81 Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    I'm looking forward to upgrading my 176552 to a CS TCU , I plan on installing it myself and will set up with the SD soon after. Can the mileage discrepancy be corrected at a later date or does this need to be done in initial install? Anything else that an SD is urgently needed for other than setting PIS? I'm sure my clutch thickness readings have already been altered so dont care about transferring the old clutch wear numbers.