Early unrestored plexi Daytona | FerrariChat

Early unrestored plexi Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Jun 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Friend of mine has recently bought one of these, 1969 model, its unrestored, has great patina. It is however missing a tool kit, any ideas where besides E bay I can find a toolkit?

The car does need a few minor things, nothing major but the idea at this stage it to leave it unrestored, rather than doing a full restoration and thus loose a lot of the originality.

It joins a few other front engine V12's in the collection. Will post some pictures when the car arrives.

2. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Try Tom S

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    #3 Ferrari 360 CS, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some pictures of the car. Has a genuine 45 000 kms on the clock, early 1969 Plexiglass car. There are some minor bodywork imperfections but nothing to warrant a full strip down and rebuilt(the car is unrestored at present).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BoxerCrazy likes this.
  4. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I am not such a big fan of the Daytona. But it is growing on me everyday.
    A girlfriend once remarked that whereas a 275 GTB is feminine and nice,
    the Daytona screams masculinity and power. I never forgot her comment.... ;)

Plexiglass is the best Daytona. If Daytona then only Plexiglass. Wonderful car.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks, agree the 275 is much more rounded, unfortunately no 275s left in South Africa and with 60% import duty bringing one in isnt a cost effective excercise.

6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Lovely car your friend must be very happy! Curious are there any issues with having a LHD car in South Africa?

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Strangely enough this car has been in SA for most of its life, well at least since 1973. As it was in the country there are no issues with registering the car. Despite its lowish milleage it has had a bit of a life, being owed by one gentleman for over 25 years.

Will post up more pics when the car arrives, basically its going to get a full service then will be driven around for a bit before deciding whether to go down the full restoration route.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @275gtbsaran, just think of the daytona as a rebodied 275gtb/4 with more horsepower and torque. and your girlfriend is right, much more brutal looking, yet sleeker at the same time.

9. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Edward have you ever driven a 275? I have never driven a Daytona but these are two completely different animals. The Daytona is much heavier and thus needs more horsepower and torque. But on a straight line the Daytona is supposed be at its best. On a curvy road the 275 is more agile....

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ i drove a 2 cam. not enough power for me. plus, i can't get over the "hump back" appearance of the 275gtb.
    prefer a 330gts when im done with the daytona.

11. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Don't mix power and torque. There is power in a 2 cam, but little torque. Remind me more the engine of SWB. In that sense the engine of the 4 cams is very similar to the engine of the Daytona that has even more torque including because of its bigger capacity.
    I never felt that the Daytona was so much heavier than a 4 cam. And I have had 3 GTB incl a 4 cam and 2 Daytonas and drove them on circuits and road ( a lot) . While my first Daytona ( a plexi one, agree this is the real Daytona, including for Leonardo Fioraventi who designed it!) was mechanically so so, the driving experience on Fiorano and Mugello is still present in my mind. It was a street car and I remember going up to 190km/ h just before the right hand curve at Mugello and it felt incredibly safe. Also because the Daytona brakes are so much better than a GTB.

If anyone is interested in a full comparison, done over time, of all cars only the SWB felt much more nimble, and lighter than the GTB and the Daytona. Both on road and tracks. Close second was the 250MM! And it's engine is actually very close to the SWB engine in term of feeling. And special mention to the LM,,but this is not a road car, and with 340 hp and 860 kg,,on the road it's a plane, not a car!

And for those who want a full rating, the TDF was the most difficult to drive, also because I left the Dunlop racing tires on the road,,,and the Lusso the less exciting,,but it was a tired one,,,and the GTC/4 was sweet but never liked neither the shape nor the driving feeling except a fantastic motorway car. ( and I am leaving aside the non 12 cyl cars which are special ones as Bryan P knows, not comparable to anything except other race cars.)

Shape on the other hand is a matter of personal taste, and while I personally prefer round shapes, the brutal shape of Daytona ( specially the Group 4 ) is also very appealing.
    It is like comparing the Alfa Romeo TZ and the Lancia Stratos. Different shapes, one mid sixties the other one early seventies. But both have their qualities and esthetics.

Bryanp and -K1- like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Can't really add anything to what BIRA said except; thank you for the comparison!
    CH

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    If you've never driven a Daytona, how can you make such a statement?

I've driven most 275 versions. On curvy roads at speed, 275's are not as "planted" as Daytonas, blame the fabricated control arms vs. forged on the Daytona.

and BIRA is right, a 275 does not feel lighter then a Daytona, just slower.

-K1- likes this.
  14. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Well I will take BIRA's word. I will drive a Daytona soon but I can make a statement about what I have read. Without ever driving a 275 - I had bought one. Based on all the statements about the car- which all say the same: It is one of the greatest road cars to drive. And the market agrees- because you are not paying 4-5 x that of a Daytona for a 275 purely on aesthetics. Same as you are not buying a 250 GTO for looks. Your buying it because it is the BEST car Ferrari made. All the reports agree: The Daytona drives heavy compared to a 275 GTB which is much lighter. Its written in about every report I have read- and I challenge anyone to have a report on a 275 that I have not read yet. I have them all.

A 275 GTB has plenty of power given the car is light. Stirling Moss did a report on comparing a 275 GTB compared to a Daytona and a 250 SWB. Just read it - his opinion should count. The facts are all out there. And the market has spoken.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    275gtbsaran, your girlfriend has spoken... and she like them masculine.......daytona!
    surely, you aren't going to tell her its to to heavy for you to drive :)
    maybe you can buy the daytona for her ;)
    whatever you decide, best to you.

16. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia
    That car looks very familiar. I have owned my 1969 plexi since 1979. As a Zimbabwean member of SEFAC ( Ferrari Club of South Africa) I used to drive from Harare to Johannesburg, 1200kms, for club events. Mine was restored by TAK Motors, then SA Ferrari Importer, and is now with me in Australia. I am very interested in the different specs that these early cars had. Can you give me your Chassis No?

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Good for you, you are clearly a more knowledgeable and experienced Ferrari owner than me.

I've only been driving and restoring them for 30 years, should have spent more time reading books.

-K1- likes this.
  18. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes read more books Ian. Read about them fab C4s. We all know you are a closet C4 fan as well as a closet something else.

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Jacques,

That's a great looking car, Stu's?

@Ozmike: Hi Mike, nice to see you here every so often. Your Daytona's nephew (K #435) is coming along nicely, but am busy taking the l/h head off to remedy a burnt valve.

Best,

Jack.

20. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    #20 Ferrari_250tdf, Jun 16, 2013
    From those three cars I liked the 275GTB/6C Alloy the most. For me it had the best power/weight ratio and handling. Daytona for long distance touring on motorways, 275 for fast driving on country and mountain roads and the Lusso for the looks.

Best Matthias

21. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Correct, its his latest purchase. Carbs need to be set for coastal condition(for everyone elses info there is a sizeable altitude difference between inland and coastal regions in south africa)

22. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Matthias I fully agree with you. I love the Lusso the most, visually. It was always the prettiest Ferrari for me. The 275 for the driving and also for its looks which have grown on me. And maybe the Daytona for the raw power on motorways. but then only in yellow. And with plexiheadlights. Ofcourse the 250 SWB is a dream, that I am aiming for.

Btw- I love the picture. Thank you for posting!

23. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    #23 Ferrari_250tdf, Jun 16, 2013
    The Daytona was a plexi from new. #13195 was the 1979 Geneva Show Car with plexi headlights. When they have been replaced with the pop ups is unknown to me.

365 GTB/4; C/N 13195
    Giallo Fly 20-Y-191 / Pelle Nera N/P (Original)
    Assembly Sequenze No. 131
    Body No. 129
    Date of Manufacture: 17.02.1970
    Chassis: Tipo 605
    Motore: Tipo 251, Matricola B 278
    Cambio/Ponte: Tipo 605, Matricola 314
    Air Condition

Here is a picture of the 1970 Geneva Show. Sorry, copyright unknown to me.

The Chassis number of the Lusso is #5147 GT and the 275 GTB is #8901.

Best Matthias

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There is import duty that high even on a 50 years old car??

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow, that's a nice driveway!! :D :D :D

To the OP, that looks great, I'd think long and hard before tearing it up in search of 'perfect", for the historical reasons you cite...