Will be rolling my rear fenders (F430), anything I should think of? | FerrariChat

Will be rolling my rear fenders (F430), anything I should think of?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Norrlanningen, Jun 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Norrlanningen

Norrlanningen Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    I have just recieved a set of ADV1 for my F430, and I like to go really low, so I have to roll my rear fenders just a little bit to be able to do this.

[​IMG]

Im going to use a brand new and clean tool that looks identical to this.
    I will use a heating gun to soften the paint, and I will only roll the inner part of the fender so that I can "fold" the excessive lip between 10 and 2 o clock.

Im planning to do it VERY carefully and adjust the rolling tool in a very slow state.

Anything else I should think of?

And no, there are no shops around who has any experience of this. And yes, I now that there is a risk with doing this, and Im willing to take that risk no matter how stupid some of you might think this is.

Im simply asking for advice for this project, not an opinion on wether I should do it or not. :)

Thanks,

2. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    That is one funky tool! Where did you find that?

Someone else had already rolled the fenders on my F360 when I bought it.

It's pretty much a necessity if you are going to put rubber on which is larger than stock an specially if you are going to lower as well.

Good luck.

3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I'd honestly ask this on a body shop forum or youtube an example. Chances are no one here has done a DYI fender roll on their Ferrari. I saw it done once on a corvette but I'm not a technical expert.

4. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    On fiberglass????

5. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    uh, i would love to see that tool used on a Corvette!

6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Rolling aluminum fenders is not like rolling steel fenders. Aluminum has less elasticity, so it tends to crack rather than bend. You will be able to roll the fenders OK at the 12 O'clock position, but that's not where the tires rub. They will rub at the 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock positions, where the lip changes shape. That's where you will experience the tearing of the aluminum lip.

7. Norrlanningen

Norrlanningen Rookie

Apr 7, 2012

Im only planning to roll the outer sheet of metal, and only to fold the edge into a ~45 angle degree rather than the 90 degree it sits right now. The wheels almost clears the fender but I think that the tire will cut into the edge of the fender if Im bottoming the suspension a bit hard at some point.

I have rolled steel fenders before without any problems what so ever, but this will be a new experience. :)

The other optin that many seems to choose is to cut the edge of the outer sheet of metal so that it lines up with the inner sheet and by that make ~10mm of more space onto the fender.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is the Eastwood fender rolling tool. It bolts to the hub and then you just adjust in small amounts and swing it back and forth. Pretty good design actually.

9. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I've personally used that tool on several of my BMW's. It sounds like you have most of the steps covered.

If the inner fender lips have the rubberized spray under-coating protection, you may want to scrap it off on the portion of the fender where you plan on rolling. It's not that important to remove it, but you can roll it further with it removed. The risk is the inner fender will no longer have a protective coating.

10. Norrlanningen

Norrlanningen Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Yes, I realize this.

I will also visually inspect the fender line extremely carefully and check if there is any part inside the wheel well that leaves unprotected, and if - I will apply a couple of cots with under coating protection to that area.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #11 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have no idea if your plan will work or not but I bet it will look pretty good! Here is an early concept sketch of the 360 and I think they were going for some fender flare like you are shooting for.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    rolling the fender lip is not the same as adding fender flair... totally different.

I rolled the rear fender lips on my 1996 Porsche 993 using a heat gun, IR temp measuring tool, baseball bat and broom sticks against the tire as I rolled the car back and forth. This worked out fine.

Go slow with the aluminum but keep the paint heated to prevent cracking.

Taking the bull by the horns!!! Good Luck

13. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I used a heat gun and wooden mallet. Take your time, be patient. Make sure you warm up the paint or you risk cracking the clear coat. Happened to my first 360 and it was the body shop who muffed it....

14. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Don't do it.

I had my front and rear fenders rolled, and the paint cracked. I have cured the cracks by painting on top, plus my car has a full clear bra.

The water based paint and the slick aluminum panels don't stick together that well. You can actually peel the paint if there is a crack with your bare hands.

If you do it, ensure that the shop will fix the car is crack show up.

I needed my rear fenders roll to be able to run a Hoosier 345/18 (widest tire made by Hoosier) on a 12" wheel with an aggressive offset.

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#15 360C, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Awesome photo. Just awesome.

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dave knows his way around a camera, that's for sure. The photo was taken in Tasmania recently and there are more shots on his website:

Lap of Tasmania 2013 - Epic Images