Maseratis at Pebble Beach | FerrariChat

Maseratis at Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by joehayes, Jun 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joehayes

joehayes Rookie

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi Walter

I see Gooding is going to be selling a 1956 150S (#1667) and the 1958 Touring Spyder Prototype (#101-126), while RM is selling a 1953 A6GCS/53 (#2053). Can you comment on the histories of these cars and what you think the range of values might be? Any period shots of the three?

Thanks

Joe Hayes

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe,

...interesting cars!

#1667:
    its the ex-Hans Tak-car. It was found in 1971 in a corner of a laundry in Holland.
    The current owner wants to sell the car because last year he had purchased a 300S.
    I see a very good 150S at Euro 1.5-1.8 million

3500GT Spyder #101.126 by Touring
    appeared in the movie "Love is a Ball" (1963) where it has many scenes driving with Glenn Ford behind the wheel thru Monaco prior to the GP.
    Only 2 cars were made by Touring. In my humble opinion this car should fetch $$600k

#A6GCS #2053:
    well, I don`t give any opinions about this car.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Gooding also has a celeste chiaro 1971 Ghibli SS coupe offered at no reserve. Appears to be a Euro car. No chassis number was indicated.

Ivan

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    No Reserve means that they expect the car to do less than $150k. At Gooding Monterey sale all cars valued less than 150k must be sold at No Reserve

5. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    150S #1667:

Engine number??

For a long time kept in England with Hall + Hall.
    Driven in this year´s MM with Fisken´s Will Smith.

Regards

Wolfi

6. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Is the Touring Spyder Vic Preisler's car? Walter- he'll be upset if he only gets $600k .. lol

I saw him at the Carmel Concours show a couple of years back and over heard him telling someone that his sydper was worth at least $1,000,000. And that's what he wanted for it..

We'll see what happens..

As for Pebble Beach how many Maserati are on the grass this year? I know Frank M. will be showing his "Mitchell" car in the preservation class, any others?

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Yes, that is Vics' car. I, for one, hope he gets north of a million :)
    I wonder what estimated value Gooding will publish for this car. On one hand it is a very rare prototype, as only 2 were made, and it has been nicely restored. On the other hand the car looks essentially like a coupe (but without the top) and this design exercise failed to go into production.

Walter: do you know if Touring built this prototype as a way to lure Maserati to put this spyder into production or did Maserati ask Touring to build it to test the market?
    I've always wonder, with many of these limited number prototypes that never made it into production, if it was the carrozzerias pushing new design concepts or the Maserati factory testing the market.

Ivan

Ivan

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #8 bundas, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    i plan on being at the show. any here going? i 9 years has past since my last vacation

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I don`t believe that Maserati "asked" Touring to make a Spyder. It was the golden days of coachbuilding and so some companies like Frua, Touring Boneschi etc. tried to get the Spyder-job from Maserati. Touring and Frua failed as Maserati gave the job to Alfredo Vignale. I personally like the Touring-Spyder.

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, I hope Victor gets a bag full of cash for the car - but "north of 1 million" seems very optimistic for me.

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    150S #1667,
    the car had a wrong front section and tons of filler on it. It was restored earlier this year and now the radiator opening is correct and the shape of the car has much improved due the thinner paint.
    The car has -beside its 1956 MM entry- a nice competition history.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I agree the Touring spyder is an attractive car and I am surprised it did not go into production.

If the decision to make the car was Touring's (which I also believe is correct) then they also probably did all of the funding to design and build the car. Since this was Touring's project does this mean they also did all the mechanical assembly at their location or did Maserati do that portion?
    Lastly, when a prototype like this was eventually sold, who sold it ? Maserati or Touring?

Ivan

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,

a very good question. I assume it was Touring who sold at least one of the two Spyder they made. I have a photo of the sister car, chassis #124, on a stand that clearly was not the official Maserati stand in Geneva. So it must have been Touring`s display.

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe,
    I just received the info from Gooding & Co that its #101.124 (and NOT #101.126) that comes for sale in Monterey this August.

15. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    I think one problem with the design is the car looks a lot like an Aston DB4
    convertible, just not distinctive enough design. That may have held it back a bit.
    The Vignale is much more interesting.
    I'm sure the folks at Maserati considered that when making their decision. Also
    maybe Maserati didn't want to many variations running around complicating production.

16. joehayes

joehayes Rookie

Sep 9, 2010
    When I saw the Gooding flyer I assumed the car was #126 because it was red. Wasn't 124 originally blue? So if the car is #124 what is the history on it? In any case the lines are really pretty-somewhat plain but very elegant and I like the semi-wrap around windshield. What have you been seeing for prices for the Vignale cars that are in very nice condition?

Thanks

17. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #17 3500 GT, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. zagato67

zagato67 Rookie

Mar 8, 2007
    Not necessarily- a car can also be offered at No Reserve if the owner wishes to sell it and encourage active bidding...

19. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    I found the compete History of the amazing Touring when it was located in France. From 1958 until 1965. The car is currently in Italy

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Complete story was written in DREIZACK, the magazine of The German Maserati Club about 10 years (or so) ago....

21. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    Yes, but some infos were wrong. The car was not owned between 1961 - 1963 by Volpi. I have the copies from the french immatriculation departments which confirm my information. More infos per PM: Best regards Nico