1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto | Page 15 | FerrariChat

1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    You can send an email to Maserati classiche for the exact right original colour code.
    The blue/tan colour combination is my favourite for Maserati's but many other combinations would not stop me from buying.

I understand your plan to sell one of the Masers. Apart from the money drain a system overload is imminent when this is only supposed to be a hobby, right?

2. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    I had bought a really good 1986 but it did need refreshed. Such a good base car. Then I found the low mileage 1981 that was supposed to be perfect and it was a 5 speed. After that it was getting the 86 really back together ready to sell. Bad luck to get an 8,000 pound bill on the motor after it was all done - I could have left it but I would have known.

So if any of the QPIII followers want a sorted out QPIII let me know!

3. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #353 William Abraham, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all

I picked up the car today. Bittersweet --- he did take the heads from my 1981 and built them into the motor. Anyway, an airing of my views and we are still talking.

Seemed to be running sweet and looked good. Time to sell it on. Of course the last bill was a bonfire but it would not have been wrong to sell it on with cracked heads -- so I had a huge bill AND now need a set of heads.

Minor issue as the fan for the interior blower would not work - the connection was bad and we fixed that but it only works on high? I need the experts advice on what would cause the fan to work on one speed only?

Also, after I filled up with petrol the car did have one or two issues of bogging and stalling. He feels it may be something with the set up or fuel and will check it again so that should be an easy fix.

Anyway, aside from a few niggles it should be a great car. I took a picture on the road and it does look the part.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi William,

it's a shame to see it go after so much care and work you put into it. But like you said, the 5 speed will probably be the more valuable car long term.

Fan only working at one speed sounds like a problem with the switch. You can check and see that it's getting power at both/all settings.

I agree though, she looks great! Hope you get a really good price for her!

5. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    We checked the pins on the back of the switch. Seemed to be power on all. I have another unit and I think the switch is a separate piece I can try that I guess.

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello William....

The car looks great... I really like that color on the car as well... It makes
    the car look regal... I always enjoy seeing the QPIII in different colors.. I
    think most of them, including mine, were/are black, so it's good when they
    show up here in different colors. Also enjoyed the engine compartment picture.
    Interesting, I just noticed that the thermostat housing, does not appear to have
    the Thermo-Valve-Switch on top. It looks like the hole for it is blocked off..
    Am I correct on this? It controls vacuum to the air pump and some place else..

Keep up the good work!

Mike

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    William,

That is a great looking car in a superb colour combination. Beautiful indeed! I hope she finds a deserving new home after all the care you've given her.

Best,

Jack.

8. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Regarding the fan speeds - I'm no expert, having had a QPIII for exactly one week, and I don't yet have a wiring diagram, BUT -- in that era it was common to use series resistors to drop voltage for the lower fan speeds. They were usually nichrome wire coils cooled by airflow because they have to dissipate a lot of power. I notice that my 1980 car has exactly that type of assembly mounted behind the left radiator fan. If the switch has voltage at terminals corresponding to the lower speeds, then you might check to see if the wiring to the (possible) resistor pack is intact.

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #359 Mexico074, Jul 7, 2013
    Hello William / GLB...

Attached is a picture of the resistor pack as it exists on my car, and as GLB
    indicates. When I first came across this, I to wondered what it was. I sent
    the picture to a friend of mine and he explained it as well. On my car, it
    is located inside the engine compartment, attached to one of the fans. This
    ensures it gets good airflow, just as GLB describes...

Mike

10. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    I have the same set up. I thought this assisting in the kicking in of the fans like a temperature gauge. I am looking at the interior 3 speed fan on the right of the heater and A/c controls.

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi William...

When I first came across this, I to thought this had to do with engine cooling fan
    control. Subsequently, I learned it is for the interior HVAC fan control... My source is
    extremely reputable and used to post here quite a bit. He also owns a QPIII...

Mike

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mike, you are correct. A similar item is found in old Jags (MkX, 420G). It has the same function, different appearance.

Best,

Jack.

13. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #363 William Abraham, Jul 21, 2013
    Hi I asked some queries re leather and thought I would try the Leder Combi and Leder Oil. Clearly these are all natural and very easy to use. The Combi left the seats looking a bit "dead" so I would not have wanted to leave them alone.

I then used the oil which really was easy to use and amazing. The quality of the leather in this car is amazing with only a little wear showing on the armrest and the drivers and front passenger seat bottoms. Minor but this does look good now. It does leave the seats a bit oily so I put a single sheet over the passenger for my wife to drive and it was OK. Still it does make the seats look great.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Leatherunic(sp?) will leave no oil feel and will restore the worn areas as if new. Did my Bora. Leather was like fish scale. Finished product was as if the car had been newly covered. Not an over night job. Took two weeks of real effort

15. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Nice work William. Too shiny for my taste, but still nice 😄

16. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi it was still wet. You leave it on to soak in and then wipe it down. It does tone down substantially. Still the leather in this car is very fine and has a lovely finish. It has been garaged all its life so I think it probably has a good starting point.

17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Would love to see pics of the finished seats. Does the Effax product leave an oily film or residue? It wouldn't be nice for clothes if it did...

Maybe the Effax cleaner with the Leatherique rejuvinator would make a good combination?

18. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Excellent, I see.

19. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Well. The car had a fuel supply electrical issue and after a fairly long delay is was pushed and headed off on the back of the AA recovery vehicle for the long journey to ALSA in Wales.

What great people. They will sort the few issues that arose with the work they did and will fully primp and prep it.

I had to take a pause from all the exciting work on the cars to replenish the coffers but will report more soon. A friend wants to use the car for her wedding so I will have it totally prepped and ready to go.

I will be sad to sell her after this, so if you want one fully sorted let me know as I cannot keep three!

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I have four QP 3 cars. really clunkers. one has been stripped. one runs/ran. but never had anything done to make it road worthy. two months ago o spent $5,000 to buy a fifth that is a clean start. running last week, at last. now to sort every little part. I have not had it on the road. I will get it out of the shop in Ohio. soon I hope. it's not really a push project. same shop is restoring the interior of my 550. a dealer left it in the sun for 7 months and destroyed the interior. I also have a 365 gt4 2+2 under restoration now for 4-5 months. it should b finished in two months. that will b six cars done this year.

21. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Paley's wife Babe was a legendary, world class beauty with style and panache.

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    car running and blew the head gasket! another QP 3headed to the junk yard. this was a last effort. I will scrap this one as well. cut my losses and forget about owning a QP 3. just not in the cards

23. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    How unfortunate. Are you planning to sell them to some place that parts out Maseratis?

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    pissed at this point. this car was sold to me as a runner that needed a carb. rebuild. no way starter was burnt. fuel pump out and on and on. thought I could trust the seller. what a dummy

25. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Never trust a seller. Ever. Whether a commercial/trade/dealer, private seller, best buddy, little old lady from Pasadena - always get a PPI.

Maybe between the 5 of them you have enough parts to put together one nice, solid car? ;-)

With as many cars as you have, and apparent lack of problems funding the purchase of new ones, why not go for the more collectable models?

Just a thought...