360 MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor Price | Page 6 | FerrariChat

360 MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor Price

Discussion in '360/430' started by Akram, Aug 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m80hot

m80hot Formula Junior

May 15, 2006
    manchester uk
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There's a thread on here somewhere .. Guyhas 360 challenge already .. So doesn't want Cs ... Ferrari improved his Modena ... Cs and scud suspension etc...

One change listed was a swap to 430/599 maf ......

Is this a true performance improvement .. Thread says this is a Ferrari improvement to a standard 360

Your comments?

2. targa81

targa81 Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Sorry to dredge up this thread, but.. I plan to clean my MAFS and then replace them if necessary. It appears that genuine Bosch parts can be sourced in the UK, i.e.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170619898931?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Anyone have any experience with these, are they the actual Bosch part. I am also somewhat confused as to the exact Torx needed, 20 or 25? if anyone has an Ebay link for that would appreciate it, thanks.

3. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I bought a set. It's a Bosch part.

It actually doesn't even use a Torx screw at all. It was some kind of funky screw on mine. I just replaced the entire tube instead of pulling the element.

Cleaning the MAF did nothing for me.

4. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I need to replace the MAF's on my 360. Found a listing on Ebay from a seller with great feedback and lots in stock of the Bosch 0280218012 part which is what the Ferrari 360 uses. Seems almost too good to be true at $174 US plus only $7.50 for international shipping. They also have "or best offer" which means they'll take less than that.

Does anyone have experience with this seller or the parts? At this price, I'm pretty tempted to give it a shot (compared to the Ferrari price of $500+ each).

Genuine Bosch MAF Mass Air Flow Meter Ferrari 360 Modena Honda Accord 0280218012 | eBay

The other option is $251 from Germany from seller powersparks and has good feedback here at Fchat from a few buyers in this thread: Ferrari F360 Spider 00 09 394BHP Bosch Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor MAF 0280218012 | eBay

Otherwise, is it true that the Stradale uses the same part as the F430? Is there any reason to be trying to look for it? Doesn't seem any less expensive.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The cheap crap usually uses a Chinese made insert.

The insert is the heart of the unit, it's held in with two security todd screws. Take this out and compare the part number. iirc volvo a use the same insert. let me check when I get home..

6. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    The listing says genuine bosch part, and nobody on ebay has ever lied or misrepresented of course...

I am tempted to give it a shot, but with mafs it kinda sucks bc they can be partially working and cause issues like rough idle and startup and tackoff and be dofficult to diagnose. I do know at least one of my mafs is bad bc we swapped another 360s in and it was an instant fix to the rough start and cold jerkiness.

7. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I bought the inserts only from "driven2automotive" off ebay and they have worked fine. Simply replace your existing ones by undoing the 2 torks screws.

8. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I submitted an offer for 2 at $151 each and was countered at $160 each which I accepted this morning. Will have my tech inspect them and report back how they perform.

Good to know about the inserts as well. Will keep that in mind.

9. sailingmagnus

sailingmagnus Rookie

Nov 20, 2010
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    FWIW: I have had several nagging problems with my throttle control and after seeing this post and some detective work I did, decided to give these MAF's a try

Genuine Bosch MAF Mass Air Flow Meter Ferrari 360 Modena Honda Accord 0280218012 | eBay

Pretty sure it's the same place MikeR said he bought a pair and would report back but I did not see any feedback so thought I'd contribute.

In the 2.5 years of my 2001 360 F1 spider ownership I feel I have uncovered and corrected all of the common maladies of Ferrari ownership. Early on I was unhappy with the TCU performance and described what others have a condition called "bouncy throttle" where feathering the pedal in produces a surge and your body reaction is to lighten your foot and you get into a bouncy on/off throttle input till you shift to second gear. I added the Formula Dynamics F1 shift improvement module which helped but didn't totally resolve the problem. I replaced the poteniometer in the foot/gas pedal with no change. On long trips I noticed a seat of the pants surging when trying to cruise between 75-85Mph. I brought the car to two different dealers and of course they said no CEL no problem. They ran their SD2/3 checks, took the car for a drive and said it's performing as expected.

About six months ago I invested in the Torque app for my Android phone and a blue tooth OBDII adapter. I set my phone up to plot out MAF voltage, RPM, speed, and low and behold I witnessed a sinewave pattern in the MAF voltage when trying to cruise at 75-85 Mph. I believe the ECU was trying to compensate what it thought was changing airflow, by adjusting the fuel injection and thus a seat of the pants surging but not a signifcant change in RPM.

So after my detective work, I purchased those MAF's a few weeks ago and they came in what looks like OEM boxes, with OEM paperwork, with all indications of being an OEM part. Installed them two weeks ago and OMG why have I not done this sooner! Car feels/performs entirely different. No more bouncy throttle, no more surging, car shifts smoother/consistently (when in auto) and all is well. For the money purchasing these MAF's from MAF-Shop-World wide was worth it to me....

10. Nathan360

Nathan360 Karting

Apr 17, 2010
    Manchester / England
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    One of my Mafs stopped working on a track day. Replaced with cheaper bosch part of the same number, worked straight away and has not been a problem in the year I've been using. Identical. I'd struggle to remember which I swapped.

BTW if a single MAF sensor goes wonky, disconnect it and the ECU will use the good one. I did this and finished the track day with just one sensor. Ferrari tech derived advice.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #136 vrsurgeon, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. Radiation

Radiation Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    vrsurgeon is correct, the important part is the insert/element. I used to have frequent maf troubles in my Land Rover and found that replacing the element was alot more inexpensive than replacing the whole unit.

I did try aftermarket (non-bosch) one time in my land rover and it was not good. Although it worked, it suffered from poor performance and fuel economy.

As long as its a genuine bosch part, the cost should not matter. Land Rover tried the same game with me for a $900 MAF, and I found it was the same part that interchanged with a BMW for $190.

Cheers.

13. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I am in need of a MAF. So if I buy an oem Kia MAF, I can swap the guts and its good?

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just chek the part number and make sure the insert number matches it and you should be good to go. Unscrew it and the part number should be right there.

15. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Sounds good, thanks!

16. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I am more interested in this part than the MAF's :) I have a iPhone but Iassume I can find the Torque app or something similiar, but what about this blue tooth ODBII adapter ? I tried one when I first got the car and it gave minimal data, I mean really bare bones information to my laptop, I took it back. I would love to know what this one was that game him MAF information.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    PM me if you have any issues.. I'll try to help if I can..

18. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Sorry i forgot to update this. The mafs appear totally genuine and they work fantastic. My startup is now back to a crisp ferrari roar and perfect idle and takeoff, especially when cold, in first gear is much smoother. Also, i have tubi and test pipe exhaust, and occasionally got cels which i thought were exhaust related. However, 800 miles after the maf swap and no cel leads me to believe it was from a failing maf all along.

Anyway, for $160 for a pair, i cannot recommend enough! Only issue was shipping did take awhile, apparently stuck in customs for nearly 10 days.

19. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    Hi mike,

Thanks for the update. Exactly which ones did you buy in the end ? Is can you post the actual link please.

Lee

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Can you confirm that after a good heat soak, like 1 hr of driving, then let sit for 1 hr, that they still function as OEM on hot start?

21. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
  22. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Can you post link for where they are available at that price please? Sounds very good price. (almost too good to be true).

Edit:-

Strike that - I see you posted a link. I presume your price above was a "typo" though as these are listed at a more believable (for genuine item) US$210 each.

I presume they did come in the original packaging with the holographic seal the the verifiable serial number for checking against the Bosch website? They're having their parts ripped off to such an extent now that all Bosch items are packaged thus.

23. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    I have a pair of used OEM MAFs if anyone interested, cleaned with 29k miles on them.

24. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Maybe post in a Honda forum...............? :D Genuine BOSCH MAF Mass Air Flow Meter Ferrari 360 Modena Honda Accord 0280218012

25. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    And Rover and Maserati and more....