360 door handles/latches/cables? | FerrariChat

360 door handles/latches/cables?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DanNE, Jun 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    I've been looking at a number of 360s cars and at least 3-5 of them have had door handle/latch issues where the door cannot be opened from the outside? This was the case for primarily the driver's side door but maybe 1 or 2 of passenger side as well?

It was either a current issue or something that was part of the service records.

Is this a common problem/normal?

Thank you.

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    There are a few minor issues such as cable stretch, lubrication, and alignment associated with the problem you have described. Pretty easy fixes in my opinion. Also look out for F1 reverse levers that engage the reverse gear without having to be lifted before pulling the lever back. Again another easy inexpensive fix.

3. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I never had a problem opening my door, but my Ferrari service guys said my door handle was horked and should be easier to open. So they fixed it. Apparently an easy adjustment that they fix often.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    One of two things both cheap fixes:
    No Cost fix: The cable has stretched and the adjuster in the door needs to be turned to tighten the cable
    Low cost fix: Cable has snapped and needs to be replaced. Call Ricambi, order part and attach.

Pretty common.

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    This actually just happened to my car on the passenger's side. I was trying to open the door for my wife, who was seated inside and didn't know how to open the door (her first ride). Apparently, she had locked the door and was trying the inside handle, at the same time I tried the outside handle. So, I heard "SNAP." At that point I knew I had snapped the cable.

My mechanic is going to fix it this week.

I'll let you know how much it costs me - parts cost for the cable plus the labor to open, install, and close the door panel.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Very common. Ferrari updated the lock/latch assembly with new cables and end-clips.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I thought that they started shipping the 430 latch and that it doesn't bold directly into the 360. To install it you have to do some surgery but I don't know exactly what.

Also Daniel, I need a new cable, what is the part number?

8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The door locks are complete with cables, so I can't do just the wire bit unfortunately. The good news, is that its (almost!) worth the price, because they won't break again.

RH door lock with cables: 69998000
    LH door lock with cables: 68993200

9. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    My door lock problem (well documented) has EVERYONE at a loose end. Ferrari main stealerships and indy's alike. Have ruled out almost all hardware through trial and error and still no resolution.

As posted:
    Hey guys, so at the Indy today and we have found out that it's not the green ecu box that's at fault as we swapped another unit in and no change. So to recap, car:
    * won't lock/unlock with remote fob
    * fob does work alarm/immob and allow you to drive car
    * key locks and unlocks drivers door
    * key DOESN'T lock and unlock passenger door (wrench thinks a new lock in passenger side will be needed).
    * when you press remote fob or use key in drivers door (only opens drivers door) you can still hear the locks 'clicking'

We unplugged passenger lock and plugged in another used lock, the car still 'clicks' when you press the fob and key still doesn't allow entry.
    The passenger lock will automatically lock itself irrespective of door being open or closed, the only way to stop this is to put the key in the drivers door and hold the key in either the locked or unlocked position.

Everyone at the end of their tether will this issue, dealer and Indy stumped. Any ideas? SD showed zero faults and all systems working within parameters.

10. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    have you checked the micro switches. I had mine fall off of the drivers inside door handle when I installed my CF parts. found it right away as I was in process of reinstalling the handle. The small clip that holds the switch to the mech got knocked off when I went to push the handle down into the CF finger I had made up to replace the sticky OEM finger well.

Heard the constant clicking and knew I had done wrong.

11. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    #11 'Da Wolf, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Woah woah, talk to me dude. What switches, where are they located ? what do they look like ?

I've just gone and lifted the external door handles slightly, you hear a bzz and the windows drop 2cms and apparently that means the micro switches are in and working.

12. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    There are micro switches on both the interior and exterior door handles. These tell the window to lower a small bit to clear the door frame seals. Put one of the following part numbers into the Ricambi website for exploded view

Part # 63859200 or # 63859300.

13. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    both my windows drop so must be working ok

14. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I would agree. Sorry I could not be of more assistance

15. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Da Wolf have you been able to sort out the locking problem? I have the same thing going on and tried change the locking mechanism incl wire BUT no luck. Your response is highly appreciated.

16. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Was this update done during the production run? If so, what model year?

Thanks

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My doors work fine but opening them from the outside does not feel smooth. It feels like something that could benefit from lubrication. Does anyone know where to lubricate and what lube would be the best?

18. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I've got the dreaded door latch problem, looking for advice...

The cable fell off the driver side interior door handle (so door only opens from the outside handle). I tried but could not reattach it and the little yellow plastic part popped off and I gave up. Also, the outer LH door handle does not work, either snapped cable or the cable also fell off.

Car is at the dealer now and they want to do the new updated latches w/ inner and outer cables, $955 for RH and $826 for LH, presuming these are installed prices (and before my 10% FCA discount). They say the driver side, despite just fell off, seems tight/seized so I need to do the updated latch as well. I'm a bit loath to drop $1,781 for what boils down to door handle cables if it's avoidable. Seems Racambi has these for $350 and $444 each, http://www.ricambiamerica.com/68602600-door-opening-outer-cable-84491.html , and I presume it's like 1hr on each side = 160 * 2 = $320 labor, which would save $650 if this is the right part and I can order from Racambi.

Any thoughts/suggestion? I'm waiting to hear back from them and am going to ask to just reattach the driver side and I'll replace it when it snaps, and if the passenger side needs a new cable (since they don't sell just the cables anymore) go with the Racambi part for $444 + labor to install it.

19. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    So I ended up shilling out the $826 for the passenger (RH) cable/latch at Ferrari last spring. I had them reattach the driver side cable, but the door has opened weird (soft , not crisp feeling handle) since then and now the outside handle no longer works at all, just pull and window drops but door does not open.

Can someone confirm this is the right part number for the driver's door on a 360 for the updated cable/latch to get? https://www.ricambiamerica.com/68993200-lh-door-lock-cpl-with-cables.html

I'm going to attempt to keep my patience and DIY this one...

TIA.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    FNA dealers warranty their work for two years, parts and labor

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ouch, the extra $600 is worth a few hours and bloody knuckles...

24. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    I fixed mine for $12 with a bicycle cable, works very smooth now. search "DIY door cable fix"

25. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    My passenger door latch / cable / whatever broke when the door was closed. You cannot open it from outside nor inside. I'm afraid how much the dealer will charge that kind of work, beside those ridiculous expensive cables mentioned at post #18.