Another automatic radiator air bleeder | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Another automatic radiator air bleeder

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crowndog, Jun 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    So, I finally got some time to check the radiator bleed screw (328 GTS '86). It is an M6, about 10mm long thread.

All I need now is an adapter from BSP 1/8 or 1/4 to M6. The BSP system 1/8 = 9.7mm and 1/4 = 13.2mm.

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I did this on my 82 on both the radiator and the thermostat housing. I took the SAE version supplied by Alladin and with a tap and die set modified the Alladin vents to go into the orignal holes of the t stat housing and the radiator. No need to modify the car. Just cut down the vent threads to fit.

Also of note, the radiator is soft.....and so is the t stat housing hole.....so be gentle when installing or you will strip the original threads of the holes. Use teflon tape on the threads to seal.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have always wondered the same thing about rebuilding your a/c system tip-top then filling it with that horse **** R134. Makes ZERO sense in a R12 system. NONE.

It would be like building the best, money-no-object 1/4 mile dragster possible then using pump gas because it's cheaper.

4. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I will explain why for me. A few thoughts....

It doesn't replace doing the other items....hoses, t stat, expansion tank, service the radiator, fans. That is a poor assumption you guys are making that this is done to surplant any other maintenance without any consideration of the cars. Actually a little surprised you guys did that. On my car I have replaced my expansion tank, t stat, and hoses with new. My radiator and fans are original and fine.

I see it as cheap insurance and convenience. New parts can fail just like old parts. Last thing I want is the possibility of a bubble around those sodium filled valves no matter the cause. I believe that is where the snapped valves begin in the cars.

Many new cars are already self bleeding. This isn't new stuff.

Its fully 100% reversible without any modification to the t stat housing or the radiator, and they work.

Why wouldn't you want it? What is the down side?

So are those adding more cooling capacity via a larger core copper radiator or an aluminum radiator, better fans, or those adding overflow bottles to their cooling systems any different? Are they masking some issue? The car does have its deficencies in the cooling system when compared to what we can do now.

In my mind, the removal of the possibility of a hot valve because of an air pocket in the head is what I like and the fact its fully reversible.

I can say my cooling system is perfect now. Never over 195 even in traffic, 175 or so on the highway, no coolant out the expansion tank, no drama at all. This with the stock radiator and fans.

5. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Those bleeders let air out, but do we know for sure that they wont also let air in as the collant contracts?

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Like any other bleed screw, if it is sealed properly, it shouldn't. Don't forget, you have the expansion tank in the system, so any contraction of the coolant should draw fluid from the expansion tank rather than air around the bleeder. I would think if it is sealed well enough that fluid doesn't leak out under pressure, it won't allow air in during cooling.

7. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    I wasnt thinking about air keaking around it but rather through whatever mechanism that lets air out.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Good question and the manufacturer recommends replacement every 2-5 years but remember that is in continuous use in a house radiator at least half a year at a time and not used the other. They are cheap enough to replace every time you replace coolant. Just a thought.

9. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    I have used two of these self bleed valves and am happy with them. What I did notice is that if you are, say, changing a T-stat, then the valves didnt seem to bleed out the large volume of excess air quickly. There was a tremendous amount of air in the system that was playing havoc with the tstat operation - temps sailing right up then falling, then climbing again.

So the old advice of bleed and bleed again may still apply.

What was easy though was taking off the top of the self bleed valve and just depressing the small ball bearing that seals the valve with something pointy. That allowed the air to vent much faster. I ran the engine from cold and as it heated went back and forth between the rad and the t-stat housing bleeding air off until water appeared. It took quite some time!

Drove it and repeated it. Heaters on, find some driveways with angle to move the air out of nooks and crannies. Bleed again, top up glycol in the header tank to replace the vented air.

I think the bleed valves will now continually strip out small amounts of air remaining.

The other oft repeated advice is to make sure there was a) an air bleed whole int he Tstat (drill if there isnt) and b) that the hole was oriented to the top of the housing, so that the air can find its way to the very top of the housing to get bled off.

I replaced the tstat with a 180f vw golf/rabbit 1.6 from Autozone at $9.99. Working perfectly.

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was asked recently if the bleeder was still working. Happy to report that it is still working properly. Haven't had to replace it yet. No air and no leaks from the bleeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Are the self air bleeders still available? I tried going to the website but tells me the site is no longer. If so do you have the website information? I have to bleed my car quite often.
    Thanks Dave

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  13. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    Hi Dave,

These are common in the UK, so Google is your friend in finding one. Note that they are designed to be used in central heating systems there where hot water from a boiler is circulated through a number of radiators. Each radiator needs to be purged of any air and these bleeders are used to replace the traditional plugs that (like our 308 radiator plugs) are manually operated as needed.

The fact that you need to bleed your radiator often indicates an issue you may want to look into. Have a read of the various threads on the topic and especially one that is currently in discussion that talks about coolant level, bleeding your system, etc.

Best,

John.

14. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I drive my car 2 to 3 times a week. Once a week or so I get a little air out of it. I can tell when it needs to be bleed by the temp needle will jump back and forth. I have read a lot on this subject. Checked all my hose clamps for tightness, did a block test checking for exhaust gases in the cooling system, come back negative both times. I did have to replace the long heater hose from back to front not long ago, maybe still some trapped air??? Open to any more suggestions. It is a 85 308qv euro. I have almost every nick pick thing working and back to original as possible. Thanks Guys Dave

15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Remember these cars are old and as we age tend to produce gas 😩

16. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #91 guygowrie, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im looking for a cleaner and easier way to bleed to tstat housing. When bleeding i'd like to be able to open the valve and have any overflow caught and for that you need a hose fitting.

The tstat bleed valve is an m8 thread which is hard to find fittings for. I hate how the oem valve spits fluid out and is a lot of leaning over mopping hot fluid on a long bleed as the system burps (i find a lot more burps when revved)

Would this brake bleeder work? I cant see why it shouldn't, being all metal able to withstand brake fluid it should be able to handle coolant. You can run tubing into a temporary catch container, no mess no fuss. My main concern is that it goes too deep into the housing and interders with the tstat itself.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-639520/overview/

Any thoughts?

Alternative any source for 8mm pipe fittings appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No, that would require a seat to seal against

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    May be a bit complicated but using these two products might accomplish your goal;
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Thanks Patrick, appreciated. Robert, thank you and that's what I was originally thinking but couldn't find right fittings. Will report back.