Motors blows after Annual Service - dealer refuses to honor warranty | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Motors blows after Annual Service - dealer refuses to honor warranty

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mesoscale, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #176 TheMayor, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    There are a couple of things I learned in auto repair.

Never trust anyone (I'm sorry, it's true). Not your customers, not your suppliers.

Always get it in writing. Always.

Document, document, and document. Paperwork is king. Do not cut corners or you are cutting yourself. The laws are always written in the favor of consumers.

Do anything you can to rectify the situation without litigation or the Bureau of Auto Repair on your ass.

Bone up immediately to a mistake, apologize, and try to fix it. You blew it, you fix it. Credibility and word of mouth is key to your success.

The customer is always right even when he's wrong. :) Well, at least that's how they view it anyway!

Where things get tricky is when you have a situation like this. It didn't happen to us but you'll get the idea.

A guy comes in for an overheating problem. You find it's the fan switch and replace it. Maybe a $100 job.

The guy drives it an notices the gauge is running hot. The fan switch failed for whatever reason. But, he drives it anyway thinking it's a new part so what the heck.

He overheats it and blows the head gasket. He wants a valve job or complete motor rebuild.

Well, the part may have failed but why did he keep driving it until it exploded? That's where it gets tricky and one of the reasons I got out of the business.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...using a camshaft from a 355C..:D :D :D ..I call "BS" on the parts unavailability, there are "some problems" with these gears, I think there's some welded rebuilt ones that improve on the original failed design....maybe ''why' FNA no longer sells them??

Some 355 guys need to weigh in on that....

Also look at the failure pic, it sure seems to me the key walked on the camshaft, indicateing (to me) the gear was "leaving" from an untorqued retaing nut?

Are there metal keepers, on these nuts?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I bought my car at Shelton Ferrai which I belive is FoFL. I would never ever ever recoment them to anyone. They were scumbags before the ink was dry. I was living aborad at the time and had them do an EO in my sbsence so when I returned the car would be A1.

First the rear main seal leaked, which they paid for to have redone in the NE. But basicaly the car was running on 10 cyl wnd whatever they did was incompetant, including replacing the tensioner bearings incorrectly. In the end I just bit the bullet and had it all redone so the car would run properly.

The only dealer thta i have found that really has a sensitivity for the machines and a clue is Miller motors, and even then i only have Lee work on my car. It takes far less time and costs probably 50% more than an independant. But if its wrong they dont moan and Lee is very competant.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Bob, I don't hate all stealerships. I just haven't found one yet that I've had a decent relationship with. ;) And yes, the customer can be an idiot and can be wrong. I have a bias in this case, and that I know Mesoscale personally and I know he's a good guy.

In your case above, if there was a problem and the user created another problem because of use, or personal action.. I agree.. the shop shouldn't be held liable. In this case, I don't see how the OP is in the wrong based on whats presented (and I would like the other side of the story here). If there was written documentation that states, "Used Part used with permission of owner, no warranty if part fails" and a signature acknowledging it.. then I agree, sorry it's SOL time. If the "stealership" screwed up, and handled it better the customer wouldn't be as upset IMHO. If the suggestion here is that he acknowledged that a used part was put in with no warranty and now is mad that the part failed.. I don't see that yet.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I have your solution: Move to Las Vegas! :)

6. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    I'll post the 6+ invoice tomorrow. The ad I posted earlier makes up page 2 of the document. FoFL provides a "recommended action plan" for all its customers whereas the first 5 pages are all standard detailing points the dealership will inspect (brake pads, tire tread, bulbs and turn signals, etc). The substance of the report is on the final couple of pages. This package with the ad which explicitly states the use of no used parts makes up a document that I signed verifying the work had been completed.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Look, it certainly looks like you got screwed. I get that. But why are you beating the drums here on Ferrari Chat? Instead of posting your documentation here, why not talk to a lawyer. Last I heard, they were hurting for work. :)

Dale

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh the trouble I'd get into... Women, wine, and Area 51 just up the road.... :)

9. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    It never ceases to amaze me that anyone lives in Las Vegas. I can stand a maximum of 4 days there. Almost 56 hours of which I am in my room being entertained/sleeping. Asleep by 4 awake by 3. :D

10. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    That sounds like code word for hooker.

11. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'm married. But, that's my take on it :D

My wife and I have a good time in Vegas. But, we're ready to leave after a few days...

The temperature isn't really a factor. A/C in the plane, A/C in the limo, A/C in the hotel, A/C in the Bellagio shops/Caesars etc... The elements don't affect the Vegas tourist.

12. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    #187 mesoscale, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I NEVER said anything about getting an attorney and have made no such claims. I simply suggested that anyone considering having their car serviced at FoFL should consider other alternatives. I have made no such statements about the need to pursue legal action. Here are the service invoices.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what was the the amount FoFL offered to split ? $20k ?

14. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You don't need a lawyer to rectify. Simply make the most god awful amount of noise and it'll get fixed. Complain to the owner, send letters to local media stations, show up every day and complain...harass the $H#T out of them and make it messy in the public and it'll go away. I work for a HUGE Top25 Fortune company, easiest way to make us jump is to get something In the public or send a letter to the CEO. You be shocked how quickly things can happen...

At this point your best bet is to start complaining, sending letters and seeing what you can get out of the situation, the car maybe gone, but some remuneration is still possible I bet.

15. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    FoFL didn't make any offer to purchase the car. The car was sold to an independent 3rd party.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You realize that this is the Internet, right? You know, that place where nothing is real. If it were me, I would be in full battle mode by now. Hashing this out on Ferrari Chat may make you feel better, but it will not change anything.

Good luck.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i know that. they offered to split the cost of repair which was what amount ?

18. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    It was about $30K for a full engine rebuild. $15k would be paid by me; FOFL would pay the other half. Naturally, I decided not to go that route because I had just paid $13K for a job that should have been done right the first time.

FoFL said that they could "work with me" on labor rates and the most I would be expected to pay was $10K. I still found that unacceptable in my book.

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and i go back to my previous thread. the $13k is a sunk cost.

so you sold the car for $20k?

as i don't follow the 355 market, seems to me that you could have invested $15k - and sold the car for $45k-55k plus..... ????

my hedge fund math seems to think that would have recouped $10k+ in value.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have to disagree. When someone says "I am installing a "new" cam gear", that means "brand new", "unused"....period.

Otherwise, they should say "I am installing a "used" cam gear" implying one different (but not brand new) than the original that is already installed.

Again, disagree - what is the difference between "new" and "brand new"? The answer is nothing: new = brand new

They should say "replaced with used" instead of "new".

I just asked two mechanics - they back-up what I just posted, 100%. They said "new" means "in the box, sealed in plastic, unused"

21. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Maybe I missed something but I see nothing in those invoices that indicates any used parts.

22. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Used timing gear on Ebay $563.00. Sure looks like a new gear on the invoice.

23. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    With the history of the car scaring any potential buyer combined with the fact that F355s are the boat anchor of Ferrari maintenance headaches, the number should be closer to $30k. The market has been soft on this model for years and any problems taint it even further.
    Owner did everything right as far as his threshold of pain was able to maintain. Had he been a pit bull about it, he probably could have done far better with FNA and the stealership but we all have our sanity to preserve.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I don't see "used" written ANYWHERE on the invoice. I see 163950U for $1700 some odd bucks. Ricambi has them priced as $1,889.78 New. So.. looks like new pricing, no indication for using used part. Written on the invoice...

Am I missing something that would make James' story not credible? As I stated before, there is no reason to doubt his credibility.

Seems that my use of the term "stealership" holds true.. (for now..)

25. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not sure how a newly rebuilt motor would scare people away from cars that are maintenance POSs anyhow ( ;) ) what year / mileage was this thing ?

i'd love a new motor 355 for a track car all day long at $30k