HELP!!!! NEED EXPERT ADVICE on 355 F1 Unit!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

HELP!!!! NEED EXPERT ADVICE on 355 F1 Unit!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by TTG, Apr 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Swancoat

Swancoat Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston
    Any updates here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I find its usually an internal leak at the selector, most often a repairable issue. I cant imagine how an accumulator was diagnosised for these symtoms but I am a few thousand miles from the car and we have not heard of the tests done.

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Many cars have used similar systems for years, the accumulators are not unique to this application. There are also prerssure switches involved, sounds as though the high pressure switch is at fault. Again, not a unique part, but not offered as a seperate part. Some sleuthing is required to match these individual pieces.

I believe without access to my shop computer and manuals today, that the pressure is around 45bar or so? The accumulator is a nitrogen filled ball with membrane that should as per it's name, maintain the pressurer in the system.

4. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Will update now...btw, LOVE the 5150 reference! Gotta love VH!

5. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    A few weeks ago Brian Milleman of Ferrari NA made it a point to visit Ferrari of Central New Jersey...here are his comments:

I must say your 355 is one of the cleanest I have seen. You should be very proud of this vehicle.

While at the dealer I instructed them perform some additional checks and remove a few key components for inspection.

Please find attached 4 photos I took this morning while inspecting your vehicle.

It is apparent that at minimum the following components are in need of replacement and most likely the main contributors to your concern.

· Clutch
    o shows signs of wear and oil soakage. This will lead to improper engagement and slippage
    · Pressure plate
    o shows signs of overheating (hot spots) as a result of slippage
    · Flywheel
    o shows signs of overheating (hot spots) as a result of slippage as well as liquefaction of the packing grease (hence the oil soaked components)
    · Throw-out Bearing
    o Leaking seals
    o After seal replacement its functionality will be checked on the guide tube to ensure proper actuation.
    · Clutch position sensor
    o As you are in the bell housing area this component should be replaced as well.

Once these components are replaced and the vehicle re-assembled a thorough bleeding of the system needs performed along with proper break in/test drive to ensure all components are seated and operating to manufacturer specifications.

Only at this point would anyone be able to confirm if a secondary issue exist as the vehicle would now be able to operate as designed. Meaning engagement, shifting and pressures are adversely affected by worn/damaged components and will not reflect proper values until they are replaced.

Further I have reviewed your case with the General Manager, Fixed Operations Director, Service Advisor, Parts Manager and Lead Technician. We are all on the same page and providing detailed focus on ensuring your vehicle gets repaired timely and satisfactorily.

The dealership is to keep in constant communication with me moving forward. I have asked them to compile a comprehensive list of all the parts needed to remediate the concerns that were noted today within the bell housing area.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #56 Wolfgang5150, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    So you need all that work first? Damn...

8. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    #58 TTG, Jul 5, 2013
  9. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #59 Wolfgang5150, Jul 5, 2013
  10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Sorry. But these two do not line up.

Your symptoms are hydraulic pressure related to the F1 system not holding pressure.

The 4 points that are being discussed now have nothing to do with having the "F1 pump running constantly". In fact the 4 points from the dealer are common issues with 6 Speed cars as well. These 4 symptoms are specific to triple seals, TO bearing and transmission seals leaking fluid onto your clutch = bad. F1 or 6 speed...same tranny.

But you can take the clutch out the car, fire it up and the F1 pump will run until it hits pressure and then stop.

Something is amiss here. Either your symptoms are not as advertised or they have moved on to selling you a new clutch / flywheel and TO bearing.

What am I missing here?

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well said

12. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC