777 crash at SFO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

777 crash at SFO

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Jul 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Flying out of SFO at 10 am tomorrow. Hope we're able to get out. I really need to be at work Monday. United is flooded with calls.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You'll probably catch the flight, but I wouldn't count on flying out of there 100% so better have a backup plan. I make regular flights from Orlando to San Diego (non-stop) on Alaska Airlines. Yeah, a hassle to get down to San Diego on such short notice, but they red eye back to Orlando at 10:30PM departure and arrive before 6AM. My brother makes those trips to get to work Monday morning in Melbourne.

Just an idea...

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Current reporting is that they will reopen two runways shortly - safe to assume it won't be 28L or 28R.

Earlier news conference at SFO said they would be back at 3:00pm local for updates - so about 10 mins.

>8^)
    ER

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Why people shouldn't fly with airlines who train their pilots ab initio. The US pilots have thousands of hours before they get to the majors. If he was short, absolutely incompetent. No excuse.

Art

5. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I still remember the JAL pilot that did a perfect short landing at SFO...in the ocean..short of the runway...so its not the first time its happend!

6. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Sadly, those are my initial thoughts. Maybe both engines failed, although unlikely.

7. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks. I tried to get United to reroute us through SJC or OAK but our flight has not been cancelled yet so no dice. I just know the reroutes are probably filling up fast.

8. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    No way, that was sorted after the incident.

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    news video shows burned out cabin area in mid section / wing area...current count is 61 injured with 2 dead... from TV news report...

landing short... it's all on who was doing the driving... seems like a lack of cooridination of power with sink rate... weather report essentailly clear... it takes time for any plane to respond to any increase in power ... basically too low too slow

two runways are reopening, plane settled clear of runways, emergency crews have passengers and situation under control... operations will not interfere with investigation

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Ice in the fuel line?

Smoking upon departure ??? And crossing an ocean !!!!

Listening to the audio from the tower is amazing. I noticed the go arounds werent necessarily confirmed. Communications skills are very good.

I hope all are OK.

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Someone shared this in the Flyertalk discussion:

I am not familiar with how to read NOTAMs, but you can view them here:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/notamRetrievalByICAOAction.do?method=displayByICAOs&reportType=RAW&formatType=DOMESTIC&retrieveLocId=SFO&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs

>8^)
    ER

12. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    That was my first thought too Jim. Although the BA flight was operating in the winter and had flown through some of the coldest OAT ever recorded hat had several other flights descending for warmer air. Also the BA flight flew a continuous descent approach with engines at flight idle from cruise altitude so there was no heat in the oil to melt the ice/wax building up on the fuel/oil heat exchanger which IIRC was what choked off the fuel flow. He BA aircraft had RR Trent engines and the issue was a Trent issue I believe and not found on the P&W or GE engines. Any one know what was on this aircraft?

13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I haven't seen any footage yet, so can't make any judgements. But based on experience, here are some thoughts.

1: Coming from Asia, approach probably started with a high downwind (around 11000 just north of the airport)

2: Nice weather, visual approaches in use (again, this is just an assumption). Probably cleared for "Quiet Bridge 28R"

3: That approach starts "off centerline", coming in from the right side of the runway.

4: Its easy to get stuck high, and its up to the pilot to configure (flaps and gear) as required to get down and slow down.

5: In many countries, visual approaches aren't flown. Pilots from these countries would much rather shoot an ILS approach to minimums than a charted visual approach.

I could tell some stories........

14. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Good points! I forgot, the G/S has been out on both runways for awhile. The PAPI may have been out too. Based on that, I'm almost 100% positive it was pilot error. Really sad. From the audio clip, there was a UAL holding short of 28L. I'm sure they saw the whole thing unfold.

Hopefully some lessons will be learned from this, and the "art" of shooting a visual approach in an airliner will be looked at.......

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why would glide slope out explain it? Commercial should be ils only and if no gs, seeing nothing, no red or white, if he was doing a visual approach should have been immediately obvious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Preparing your class action lawsuit already?

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Art and I disagree on many things, but on this one he is absolutely right-- assuming no mechanical problem, which more and more looks to be the case.

The Asian carriers not only train ab initio, but they also have serious cultural issues which inhibit sound cockpit resource management. Put the two together with a long haul flight (crash was at 5am Seoul time, I believe) and you have a recipe for disaster.

18. Daveoster

Daveoster Rookie

Jul 6, 2013
    Asiana just took delivery of 3 of the 777 examples in the last 12 months or so. All with P&W engines.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

A little early to be making this claim, don't you think?

20. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I know it sounds crazy.....But I'm guessing he was cleared for a Quiet Bridge Visual approach. Started high. Had a high rate of descent. While the runway would have been in sight the whole time, as he approached the normal glide path, with no guidance, he flew right through it. Sounds impossible, I know.

The 777 does have a way of showing the glide path, but I'm guessing they never looked at it.

Again, these are all just my thoughts, with no data to back them up.

I hope I'm wrong.....

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

He's not making a claim... just a couple of suppositions.

...as are many of us.

Chill.

Please.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Really?

"absolutely irresponsible. No excuse."

Yah... just a coupe of suppositions. No conclusion at all.....

Chill indeed.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No, I don't, and I back it up with my 30 years of flying experience, including many years as an instructor and check airman in jet aircraft.

Let me repeat myself, just to be clear: IF THERE WAS NO MECHANICAL FAILURE, then it was absolutely inexcusable and pilot error.

It looks more and more like there was no mechanical failure, although it certainly can't be ruled out at this point.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's not what Art said.

"Why people shouldn't fly with airlines who train their pilots ab initio. The US pilots have thousands of hours before they get to the majors. If he was short, absolutely incompetent. No excuse.'

Art

Sounds pretty much like a conclusion way before any facts are known.

25. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    60 people "missing"???

Local news...

Kai