Beethoven Bicentennial Boxed Vinyl Sets | FerrariChat

Beethoven Bicentennial Boxed Vinyl Sets

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by greg328, Jul 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Dear Ferrarichat music connoisseurs,
    My father who passed away several years ago left me his vinyl LP collection, which I unfortunately cannot play, as I have no turntable. They are all in unbelievable condition.
    I have several of the Beethoven Bicentennial Boxed vinyl sets, several unopened, along with several other boxed sets of classical composers. My father was from Italy and a real classical music connoisseur. He was my biggest influence as a child learning classical piano. I'm now a professional pianist, thanks to him! I will get some pictures and detailed descriptions of everything up here ASAP.

I'm posting this, and I hope it's OK, in hopes of finding an interested buyer. Somebody really into quality vinyl classical LPs. Feel free to post here or PM me. I'm a subscribed member of Fchat, hope it's OK to post here. I'd rather try to find somebody here before I post to Ebay or try to sell to Amazon. They have been sitting upright and idle for too long, so they need to find an appreciative home!

Mods if this is the wrong location please feel free to move it.

Regards,
    Greg
    Houston TX

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    A little bird gave me a heads up about this thread. I'm sorta into vinyl. :)
    I think you need to identify what the records are; ebay tends to be the best place to sell them to generate money; not sure how collectible some of it is- although european pressings, particularly pre-digital mastering, are often valued.
    You are welcome to ping me via private message or email if you want more info.
    Not sure I'd buy them without knowing more either.
    Best,
    Bill Hart

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Bill, thanks for the response. Tomorrow I'll take pictures and create a detailed inventory and post it all here. After that we can chat. Much appreciated!

Greg

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #4 greg328, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, here is what I have in terms of Beethoven.

I have 6 boxed album sets of the Beethoven Bicentennial Collection on the Deutsche Grammophon label, 2 of them still unopened and in the original plastic wrapping. I have Vol. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. Vols. 3 and 8 are still unopened. The other sets are complete with 5 LPS each. The opened boxes have a bit of wear but nothing serious, as one would expect with a 30+year-old record collection.

I also have the Beethoven "Missa Solemnis" on the Philips label, opened but complete and in great condition, 2 LPs and included brochures.

Further descriptions:

Beethoven Bicentennial Collection:

Vol. 2, "Symphonies and Overtures Part Two"
    Vol. 3, "Six Concertos" (unopened)
    Vol. 4, "Piano Sonatas"
    Vol. 5, "Music For the Stage"
    Vol. 6, "Choral Music"
    Vol. 8, "Music for Piano" (unopened)

Beethoven "Missa Solemnis" conducted by Eugen Jochum, Concertbouw Orchestra, Amsterdam (Philips label)

In addition to these, I have 19 other Opera-oriented LP box sets my dad left me. Lots of Wagner and other things. I'll post that list next. I'll also work up a price list. PM me with offers at any time.

Please see the 14 pics for more info. For higher-quality pics just PM me and I'll email them to you.

Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Buy a Dual turntable and a Sansui receiver from the late '70s and enjoy them. (These are some of the best pressings ever on offer.)

My father had many of the same volumes but he left them to someone else. The Karajan-BPO symphonies in this set, they recorded them four times over the decades, I think, are considered to be some of the very best ever made.

6. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    PS Are the Wagner LPs by Solti?

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    :). Yes these are awesome recordings no doubt, but I do need to sell. My wife and I are buying a new house and are facing a mountain of expenses. The sale of this collection will help offset that a bit.
    Greg

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This afternoon I'll go over the other 19 opera box sets and post details and pics here. Don't have info now but I'll certainly get it to you.
    Greg

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    So you know their value . . . damn!

LoL!

Good luck!

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #10 greg328, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are 19 classical, opera and symphonic classic vinyl box sets that my dear dad left me. These have been part of my upbringing since childhood but I've got to let them go. I'll present a brief description of each, corresponding with the posted photos.

1) "The Golden Age of the Organ" E. Power Biggs plays 12 Bach pieces, 2 LPs, box in excellent condition, booklet and LPs in mint condition. Stereo Columbia 1964

2) "Mahler Third Symphony" Sir Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 2 LPs, box and booklet in mint condition, London FFrr 1969

3) "Verdi, Requiem Mass" The Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Carlo Maria Giulini, 2 LPs and booklet in mint condition, box is fine but cover art is a bit worn. Angel Records, stereo, 1964

4) "Pendericki, Passion According to St. Luke", Cologne Radio Chorus and Symphony Orchestra, Henry Czyz, conductor. 2 LPs in a folding cover, vinyl in excellent condition, folding cover showing its age. RCA Victrola mono, 1967

5) "Mahler, Symphony of a Thousand (No. 8)", Seiji Ozawa, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, digital recording. 2 LPs, booklet and box all in mint condition. Philips stereo, 1981

6) "Wagner, Siegfried", Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Georg Solti. 6 LPs, booklet and box in mint condition. London FFrr/Time/Life Records, stereo 1963

7) "Wagner, Götterdämmerung", Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Georg Solti. 6 LPs, booklet in mint condition, outer box shows slight wear, inner box sleeve mint. London FFrr/Time/Life Records, stereo 1965

8) "Wagner, An Introduction to Der Ring des Nibelungen and Das Rheingold", Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Georg Solti. 6 LPs, 2 very in-depth booklets and box all in mint condition. London FFrr/Time/Life Records, stereo 1959/1968

9) "Wagner, Parsifal", Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Sir Georg Solti, 5 LPs, booklet and box in mint condition. London FFrr, stereo 1973

10) "Wagner, Tristan und Isolde", Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Herbert Von Karajan. 5 LPs and booklet in mint condition, box in excellent condition. Angel Records, stereo, 1972

11) "Wagner, Lohengrin", Bayreuther Festspiele, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 4 LPs, booklet and box in mint condition. Philips stereo, 1976

12) "Wagner, Die Walkure", Vienna Symphonic Orchestra, Georg Solti conductor, 5 LPs, booklet, brochure in mint condition, box in excellent condition. London FFrr stereo, 1966

13) "Wilhelm Furtwangler, A Wagner Concert": Overtures (Flying Dutchman, Tannhauser, Die Meistersinger); Lohengrin-Prelude to Act 1; Ride of the Valkries; Siegfried Idyll; Tristan und Isolde-Prelude & Liebestod; Parsifal-Prelude to Act 1 & Good Friday Spell. Berlin and Vienna Philharmonic Orchestras. 2 LPs and sleeves in mint condition, box in good condition, Seraphim Records, mono, year unknown

14) "Boito, Mefistofele", Complete Recording, 3 LPs and sleeves in mint condition, box in good condition, London FFrr, stereo, year unknown

15) "Rachmaninoff, Preludes, Op. 3, no. 2, Op. 23 and 32 complete, Vladimir Ashkenazy, pianist, 2 LPs, booklet and box in excellent condition, Decca Records, stereo, 1976

16) "Mascagni, Cavalleria Rusticana", Orchestra E Coro Di Roma, Silvio Varviso, conductor. Side 4-Elena Suliotis Operatic Recital: Verdi, Ponchielli. 2 LPS and booklet in mint condition, box in excellent condition. London FFrr, stereo, year unknown

17) "Puccini, Turandot", Rome Opera House Orchestra and Chorus, Erich Leinsdorf, conductor. 3 LPs and booklet in mint condition, box in good condition. RCA Victor Red Seal Records, Orthophonic, 1960.

18) "Schumann, The Four Symphonies, Overture-Julius Caesar; Overture, Scherzo and Finale". The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Georg Solti, conductor. 3 LPs, booklet in mint condition, box in excellent condition with cover art paper a bit worn. Decca/London FFrr Records, 1970.

19) "Moussorgsky, Boris Godounov", Chorus of the National Opera House of Sofia, Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, Andre Cluytens, conductor. STILL SEALED IN ORIGINAL CELLOPHANE! 1'2" thick box, probably 4-5 LPs, mint condition. Angel Records, stereo, year unknown.

That's it. 7 Beethoven box sets and these assorted 19 box sets. 26 in all. Anybody care to make a package offer? I'll do a better deal for everything at once.

I'll post 10 pics in this post and the last 9 in the next.

Best,
    Greg, Houston TX

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    3 years later---a BIG BUMP!!!

I really want to sell this set to the correct buyer. We are moving again soon, from Houston to Austin, and I would prefer not to risk damage to these LP box sets. Better to just sell them now.

Please, if anybody among us has any interest in classical LPs, you can't go wrong with this collection. Make me a reasonable offer on the entire set and I'll get them shipped next week. The whole box weighs about 50 lbs so please keep that in mind.
    Best,
    Greg
    Houston TX

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    BUMP AGAIN! :) I'm now in Austin, by the way.

13. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Did you ever put a price on them?

Mike

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Mike,
    Honestly, no. I'm not sure how to price the collection. A fair offer would secure the collection, or any part a person may desire. There's lots here! The Beethoven Bicentennial Collection, almost complete, plus the 19 other box sets.

I'm open to fair offers, but no lowballs obviously.

Greg
    Austin, TX

15. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I would check some of the forums to see what they might be valued at. The Steve Hoffman forum is one. Good luck.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    When you have some time, check out www.discogs.com as that is the definitive place to sell vinyl to collectors. It's also an invaluable resource for sellers as there is historical price data on most records ever made. I'd look up each set there to see what they usually go for, that way you'll be able to put a price on them - if, that is, you're willing to sell each recording separately. If you plan to sell them as a set, then ebay is probably a better option, but I'd price according to Discogs info, anyway.

17. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I used to manage a music store and was responsible for all vinyl purchases. You definitely have some nice pieces. If shipping wasn't so high I would give you a respectable offer.

18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't be shy, feel free to pm me an offer. I still have every item originally posted.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

19. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu