Thinking About this 308??? | FerrariChat

Thinking About this 308???

Discussion in '308/328' started by MASR04, Jul 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Some stuff to get you started...

I would be most interested to know if the paint is original and the original color. There appears to be no black paint on the dividing line between the body panels as there is from the factory. Go see it in person for sure - dark colors in the right light always look amazing.

Some cosmetic projects on it for sure - ripped arm rest, shiftgate, ratty carpet, intake manifold paint, etc - all minor.

Would also want to review what service records they have...claim to have everything.

All tools and manuals?

Rust? Anywhere? Pics?

Cover missing for targa top?

Any accidents? Where?

Looks nice in pics - love the color combo!

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Paint - Has been repainted - original color

Thank you for the tip on the Black Divider mid-body

I plan on reviewing records.

Ripped armrest has been fixed. My concern is the driver seat - but minor stuff.. These kinds of things are not of major concern so much as mechanicals.

Body is described as, 'In decent shape and problem areas have been done well'. We will see upon arrival in person.

Targa Top is not missing.

Clear Car Fax - Starting in 93 - NJ - PA - CO - TX - NC

I have never experienced a dark color in person - but what you're referring is getting me excited.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cover over the targa appears to be missing - there is a vinyl cover from the factory that attaches to the rear shelf. Good luck! See how it drives and have fun.

Make sure you check out the sticky's - tons of good info in the buyer's guide.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Is it me or are the exhaust tips missing?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    They are there, but the ends are set flush with the diaper surface. Since this car is missing most of its US emission equipment (and some pieces that will be very hard to find), perhaps the exhaust system has been replaced with something custom-made, and the Owner thought it looked better that way -- for me, it just makes the diaper look even bigger and uglier (don't know if the US carb diaper is different/bigger than the US i diaper, and the wrong one got used, but that is one ugly diaper ;)).

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Has it been for sale for awhile? I think I've seen this one before...

7. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It does has aftermarket exhaust. Originality in that aspect doesn't matter to me - I want it to scream cause it would be a symphony to me.

Yes, has been on the market for longer than expected. More than likely due to the color.

Agreed on the diaper - I would possible remove at some point and purchase tubi to show off big chrome muffler.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Whatever your bottomline price is -- take another $2~3K off for the 390mm wheels ;)

9. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    These are the wheels which only take a tire from eagle that costs like $400 a piece?

10. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Steve,

What would you deduct for the interior (driver's seat shot, carpet shot), say $3,000 to $4,000?

And there isn't a sign of owner's books, tool and jack kit- I'd deduct say $2000 for all those goodies if they truly are gone.

And no records on timing belt service? There's another 4 figure deduct, right?

And the paint, to me, looks like it has been resprayed but not wet sanded and buffed, but it's hard to tell, so it could stand some money spent there, or time, probably both.

Yipes it starts adding up! Jeff

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't know "eagle" (nor have personally hassled with getting these tires) -- Coker and Longstone(?) are the supplier names that I think that I've heard. But independent of the (crazy) cost, I just don't like the visual look of using the same width wheels front & rear on a 308B/S chassis -- JMO...

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A very pretty "i". I've always felt the i cars are great candidates for a turbo. Kind of like the final revenge for being last on the power scale.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yeah -- aren't they are all just "parts cars" ;). I'm not a really a good "value" source since I'm not actively looking. I still can't wrap my head around any 308 being worth more than $30K (especially those with missing emission equipment), and $150K for a 246 (or even a Boxer) -- insane!

But I wouldn't buy Tesla stock today at $25/share -- so I'm obviously not too bright...

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks like I can get this car for $14k!!

Never thought of tire width, but appreciate you bringing that to my attention also. I am gathering that it is possibly better to move on. Do the carb cars come with 16' wheels or only 83-85?

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Only some 308QV came with the 16" wheels stock -- but they are so interchangeable that any 308 could have any size wheels (14", 390mm, 16") on it today.

16. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Very nice guy in NJ has contacted me about a 79 carbed car he feels is right up my alley. Learning more about it today.

17. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    $14K?? I'm surprised that they came that far down from the asking price of $26,500. Even with all of its imperfections........that sounds like a pretty good price for a car that is not a major project/incomplete, and that you can get in and drive today. This would be a great entry level car for someone!

18. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I was making a statement, not informing you that I got him down that low.

19. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    If you could, it would be a deal, I think. I'd say that the asking price reflects at least a portion of the deductions mentioned. You'll find a wide variety of opinion her on what a 308 "should" cost and several heated threads on the subject. My opinion? the asking price is a reasonable starting point and the car will sell at 24-25k, maybe 23k if the seller wants to move it quickly.

20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    If you can get the car for 14k than I would take the money from your Maser and buy it immediately.

21. bigdreamer

bigdreamer Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Wash. DC area
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    That was my car. I had the major service done at Andy Falbo's in Fountain Hill, Az in 2006. Competizione in Gaithursburg, MD also did some work on it in 2007/8. Did the Birdman fuse panel upgrade. Solid driver. If you're looking for something to just drive and not care about the miles then this might be it. Don't know if the clutch was done after I sold it. If anyone is interested pm me. I wish I had her back, just panicked when the financial crisis '09 took me out.

22. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Oops. Sorry, I misunderstood your statement. I thought that you had actually gotten him down that low. If you did, I was thinking that you were one helluva negotiator!....and that I would like to hire you to help negotiate future car purchases for me! Haha!

23. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't be looking for the lowest price settling on things that arent correct with the expectation that you can fix them as you go along, as I did originally. I would be looking for one that was properly sorted and in really good overall condition with all of the maintenance up to date and all of the tools and manuals in the car. You can spend a small fortune getting everything up to speed both mechanically and cosmetically. It seems counterintuitive, but this is by far the least expensive way to go.

24. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Totally agree.