STOLEN FERRARI IN SEATTLE - FOUND!!! | FerrariChat

STOLEN FERRARI IN SEATTLE - FOUND!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by etip, Jul 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a post going in the 308 section, but just trying to get the word out.
    My 1980 GTSi was stolen off the street in Seattle on Tuesday 7/9.
    If anyone hears anything, please contact me or the Seattle PD.

Thank you. If anyone can link the thread in the 308 section, please do- I don't know how.

Eric

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  3. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Thats terrible sorry for your loss

6. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just got a call from the police - THEY FOUND IT!!!!!
    Dumped on a street in S. Seattle. Doesn't look like too much damage.....
    Will update once I see the car. Being towed to my house now....

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great news!! Glad you found it in one piece (i hope). Stealing is a terrible thing....

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Excellent news, I hope the damage is just cosmetic.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Awesome news! Are they making any effort to catch the asshats responsible? Pulling fingerprints, etc?

10. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is really great news, i hope the car is ok.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had a '74 Alfa spider stolen once. I wondered why anyone would steal it as it's not worth anything really as parts.

The officer told me the only reason they steal these kinds of things are joy rides. They usually end up dumped after a few days as no one wants to go to jail over it. Usually, there's some damage as they drive it literally "like they stole it".

I got mine back about a month later 600 miles away in San Francisco. It had been crashed but it was still running. The starter burned out and it stalled on a hill. They just abandoned the car in traffic.

The insurance company (State Farm) brought it back to 100% and I had it many years after.

I hope your car was not seriously damaged but it's a great feeling to get it back I'm sure. It was for me.

The one thing I remember though is that the police really don't care that much about stolen cars. It's way down on their priority list. I called every 2 days to find out what was going on. Eventually I called and they said "oh yeah. We found your car. It's in the inpound in San Francisco. Here's the number. Bye".

Hope you were treated better than I was. For 99.9% of the stolen vehicles, it's just a commodity to their owners and nothing special.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ah, good old South Seattle. Was it Burien? White Center? Skyway?

13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, Good old South Seattle.... Down by Rainier Valley. Sounds like you know the area....

14. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The police were SO cool. He said in 26 years he had never heard of a Ferrari stolen and since he put it out on the wire every cop would be looking for it.

When my wife met the cop today to get the car, she said he was excited that "he got to find the stolen Ferrari"....

THANKS to everyone for their help and well wishes. I will update on the car once I see it.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah I spent a little over a year in Burien/Renton and was working in all of those neighborhoods up through downtown.

16. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #16 etip, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    YUP!!!! They actually are. The house that called it in also JUST installed security cameras last week- how ironic- and they are reviewing that video as well...

I sure hope they get those Phuckers.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #17 cuneo, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    That really sucks but at least it wasn't wrecked because you probably would have heard about it by now. Hope the tranny and engine are okay, be sure to get everything checked out by a great mechanic before you or anyone else drives it (for insurance purposes).

Here's my story... At age 22 my pride and joy blk/blk 1990 BMW 325is was stolen by some prybar-wielding health-food freaks with either a filed-down or dealer key. They took all the paper work out of the car including one of the few pictures of me and my now passed grandfather.

Police found the car a week later 10 miles from home and returned it via impound lot filled with organic-labeled banana/fruit peels and various empty unpasteurized small-farm juice bottles. This was long before Whole Foods and the mass health craze, so not your typical car thieves. No ignition lock damage, no door lock damage, no needles or alcohol bottles, just a small dent in the B-pillar behind the door frame from the crowbar. Turns out they would steal a new license plate from a similar BMW every night, put it on my car, and drive around until they felt the current stolen plate would be noticed as missing from the car they stole it from. Very weird and unsettling! What I would give to know what went on in/around my car during that week!

Oddly enough, the car thief or thieves ditched the car undamaged with a full tank of gas and a variety of other BMW 325i-specific parts in the car, as well as some sunglasses and a Gerber Multi-tool that I still have as souvenirs...

It cost me around $800 to get it out of tow, which I thought sucked pretty bad especially as a broke-ass kid freelancing for $20 an hour.

Another really weird/funny thing... I had a blk/blk 1996 BMW 328is that had both plates stolen off of it about 2 years ago, and I since had moved from where the 1990 BMW was stolen from. Hoping it's coincidence!

Sorry for the novel, but just know that you and I are some of the lucky ones in this thread! Congratulations on getting your Ferrari back, it's a beauty!! Love the fingerprint picture.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, maybe your guys are but the LAPD just doesn't give a crap about stolen cars. I asked if they where going to fingerprint my car or look for evidence on who did it and they said "why... you got your car back, didn't you?"

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Gospel. LAckadaisicalPD. Unless it's one of their own, of course.

via rubber ducky

20. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Glad your story ended fairly well. Having had a car stolen, I know its a terrible feeling.

There are a lot of auto thefts and break ins in the Seattle area. Mostly petty thieves looking for items in the car they can steal or parts. Lucky for you they were just joy riders and didn't part the car out!

21. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg

Glad to see they're being diligent about it.

Unless they're just doing it for show since they may know the car has gotten a bunch of attention on the web. I hope not... now that they have prints, it won't take much time at all to run them through a couple of databases to see if anything turns up.

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Nice you got your car back.

Here is a bad story. My friend had a new Toyota truck. Went to Montréal which is 425 miles from home. They go to a water park so they left everything hidden in the truck in the parking lot and left with swimsuit and towel only. After the day they came out and truck was gone. 425 miles from home with only a swimsuit and towel. No ID, can't rent a car, can't buy clothes, can't get a hotel room. Nobody knows you and you have no ID. He said that was a nightmare.

He learned something that day. No matter where you are keep your ID with you!

23. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Just glad you got your car back...

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Congrats on getting your 308 back!

25. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    I was in Seattle / Everett last tuesday, but I can promise you taht I DIDN'T steel your 308, althought I love this car...
    Happy to know you got it back without big damages. You will even more appreciate driving it knowing you almost lost it...