Anyone have exp with Hyper flow cats | FerrariChat

Anyone have exp with Hyper flow cats

Discussion in '348/355' started by crmlcruiser, Jul 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I need to get cats ASAP for my 99 5.2 355 f1 and the fabspeed cats are back ordered for 4 weeks
    I can get hyper flow cats right away but am a little worried about the rumor I heard that they trip the check engine light.. Not sure the truth behind that
    Anyone with experience or knowledge on these or any other options I have to get a set of cats in two weeks or less??

Thanks so much for any help

2. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I have had Hyperflows for 6 years no issues, best quality cat for the F355, only one my mechanic recommends, also great customer service.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You live in California and it is a tough state for smog. My HF will not pass smog due to emission because the state has tightened the requirements again. I had to swap out the HF for the stock cats to pass smog. The removal of the cats many times cause the threads on the O2 bung and on the O2 sensors to go bad and then you have to replace them.

My HF will still throw CEL lights (low cat efficiency) even with the double extension of the rear o2 sensors. But, they do sound good. So, the CEL lights (occasionally) is what I choose to live with. Your mileage may vary.

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If your double extensions are straight you will still get a CEL .Try a 90 degree extension that should fix your CEL if not then you may have a bad o2 sensor.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    My hyper flows are not passing smog in CA, either.

Stock does well.

Therefore, I have a set of used Hyperflows for sale.

I believe they go for $800 each new.

I am selling for $550 or $1,100 the pair.

About 10k miles in the cats.

Kai

6. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    Nothing but good things to say about their performance and build quality. Troy is awesome.

7. F355 Spyder

F355 Spyder Rookie

Sep 15, 2012
    Toronto,Ontario
    Full Name:
    John
    I just added the Hyper Flow Cats with my capristo exhaust and does it ever sound sweet.
    Only problem is the Hyper Flows seem to be setting off my CEL light.
    I have only had them for a month and I am very happy so far.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #8 f355spider, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    Of course no issues, you have a 1995 2.7 motronic with no catalyst monitoring (no post catalyst O2 sensors on your car). So of course you will not see the dreaded "low catalyst efficiency" P code that often happens with aftermarket catalysts. In fact without an emission test you would not know if they are even working or not. ;)

OBDII cars must all have a post catalyst O2 sensor to monitor catalyst function/efficiency.
    1996 to 1999 5.2 Motronic 355s this can be an issue/concern and why factory catalysts seem to work best.

9. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone.. At least in the past some of the smaller smog shops
    Used to not catch the visual on many exhausts. I would think its worth a try anyway. May have to switch to oem for smog every to years for the test at worst don't you think?
    Luckily they are pretty easy to change in the 355.

If only the belts were that easy!!

Also looking for a used tubi if anyone has a line on one .

Guess I need to find some decent used oem cats as well for smog

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Switching to OEM cats every two years is the price I pay. It is half day in and half day out if things are well. However, twice now, the bungs get buggered up real good and so are the O2 sensors threads. I have to spend $100 for a set of 18mm 1.5 tap and die set to clean up the hole and the sensors. It also takes longer to mess with them.

Find a buddy in the area, who also has hyperflows, and stock cats and borrow them for the day.

Best of luck.
    M

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mitchell,
    Would a little "O2 sensor safe" anti seize grease help? I know they come with a dab on the threads from Bosch when new. I have had mine on/off a few times over the years either to replace the failing cats with a good condition used one, or experiment with rebuilt ones, and never had issues with the O2 sensors or the threaded bungs. I just put a little bit on the threads before re-installing.

Specialty Lubricants - Anti-Seize : Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant

Works good on the quick detach threads on my suppressors too. ;)

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I Understand 2.7 is easier and I also has SRI gold kit installed, passes Colorado emissions very easily, not as tough as California, but no cake walk either.

13. Dr. Wynter

Dr. Wynter Karting

Apr 10, 2013
    Michigan (and NYC)
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm having hyper flow cats and a supersport exhaust installed on Monday. I'll be sure to report back. I guess my question with regard to the CEL warning is: is the performance of the car affected in any way for those who have their CEL light up, or are we merely talking about the annoyance of the light being on?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is what I use on mine too but after a few months, the stuff burns off and the sensors get quite stuck. I had to buy two new pre-cat sensors this year because the threads are all screwed up on the way out. It was a good thing that generic ones are so cheap.

15. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hyperflows are great. I got them and love them.

I've tried a lot of different combos to get the sound I was looking for including a cappy 3 with Straight pipes.

My current set-up is hyperflows with a Tubi and for me its tops.

16. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not necessarily true.
    I have Hyperflows on my '98 F1 GTS. Have never had a single CEL and the car runs and sounds magnificent.

However, we don't have smog testing here, so can't comment on that.

17. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I'm on my second set of Hyperflows and would recommend them. I do get the occasional CEL and it's almost always the same scenario. After a spirited drive and I start slowing down due to traffic or just cooling off, I will get the occasional CEL. It happens 1 out of 10 times and it's always the same code (s). They are just too efficient but the car blows clean on the emissions test and it always passes. In California, you just have to look for the emissions station that doesn't look for all the serial numbers on the cats. I just carry a OBD II reader in the car so if I get a CEL I check to make sure it's the one for the cats, reset it and off to the races. No big deal.

18. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Just want to add to the responses... I also live in CA and my HyperFlows have always blown clean, passed smog, and never thrown CELs. BTW, HyperFlows come with an exemption certificate, and all one needs to do is show this to the technician doing the emissions test, so no worries about serial numbers. I've even been smogged at a Ferrari dealer where the HF cats were noticed and still passed once they were shown the exemption card.

19. crmlcruiser

crmlcruiser Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Carmel ca
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just bought a set of used hyperflows. How would I get an exempt cert?

20. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I did not receive an exemption card.

Not only that, it actually stated on the paperwork that they are not legal to use in CA...

Kai

21. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Which makes them even cooler

22. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Hi Guys,

For anyone interested in a copy of the card, please PM me and I can send you a PDF copy. I'd post it directly on FerrariChat but I'm a bit of a computer dinosaur. I can attach it to an e-mail for you, though. As for the fellow buying used HP cats, unless the previous owner included the exemption card you may be out of luck. Hope this helps...

23. trestlenewport

trestlenewport Karting

Dec 9, 2010
    North Bay Ca
    I am thinking abt getting a scanner myself. What code are you getting w/ CEL on?

24. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I'll have to look the next time I get it but I usually get two. One for each side. I think it's 1223 and 1233 if memory serves me well. It's basically cat efficiency is below threshold. The next time it throws one, I'll write it down but it hasn't done it in quite a while.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    P0420 and P0432